1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is it time to rethink canned rejection responses?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Obelia, Aug 13, 2009.

1. stealthyone

stealthyone Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    IMO it's important to offer some support when the customer is paying. If someone is paying, then the least you can do is tell him, why he got rejected. It does not take much time and greatly improves your directory's "image".
    Afterall - I don't tink one would pay if he thought, he will get rejected.

stealthyone, Aug 18, 2009 IP
  2. Karen May Jones

Karen May Jones Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If a site gets rejected, would the site owner really consider CHANGING his site just to fit in to some rules that a particular directory has set up? hmm, I don't think I would go to that trouble unless the directory was uber powerful.

Karen May Jones, Aug 18, 2009 IP
  3. stealthyone

stealthyone Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I agree with that, but I still think, that one desreves to know, WHY he got rejected. Otherwise he might feel mugged.

4. stoner3221

stoner3221 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think most were referring to the hundreds of free submissions declined every week.

stoner3221, Aug 18, 2009 IP
  5. stealthyone

stealthyone Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Oh...my bad then. Those free submissions don't need any explanation. Most are automated anyway...

6. lowster11

lowster11 Peon

Best Answers:

I wonder how many notified rejected submissions "do" fix the problem and resubmit? To find out, I think that I am going to make a "re-submission" form to include in my rejected emails?

lowster11, Aug 19, 2009 IP
    Snowblind1 likes this.
  7. Snowblind1

Snowblind1 Peon

Best Answers:
    A website getting rejected isn't necessarily to do with the website itself. A lot get rejected due to spammy titles, descriptions, etc. These things usually only require a submitter to *actually* write a couple of sentences, as opposed to the keyword spam many users submit.

@lowster11 - that's a good idea. It would be interesting to see some actual results.

Snowblind1, Aug 20, 2009 IP
  8. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have done some of this for sites that I think are worthwhile. I haven't kept track of the replies but for the most part there's either no response or folks say thank you and happily make the corrections/additions.

One thing I have started doing is adding a deadline. I tell them what needs correction (usually missing information) and include the following statement:
    I edit the title of the submission to include that date and then delete or suspend the entry if I do not hear from them in time.

Do keep in mind that I'm talking about a niche directory that does send traffic to many of the listed sites. General directories would probably see a lower response rate.

YMC, Aug 20, 2009 IP
  9. Bernard

Bernard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I haven't read every reply to this thread, so forgive me if someone has already mentioned this, but:

I think is is a great idea for those cases where you would have accepted the listing had the submission details conformed to your guidelines.

Bernard, Aug 22, 2009 IP
  10. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    Very good post in http://info.vilesilencer.com/forum
    I like it

Plain and simple:
    if you submitted your site knowingly ignoring Guidelines, then you don’t care if you’re going to get rejection email with reason(s) why in a first place.

Rejection email is not obligatory if you’re offering free inclusion. After all you time was abused by some *sshole already when your directory was assaulted by spam submission and it would be simply stupid to continue wasting your time dealing with that subject any longer.

Said that, our directory automated script send rejections and even offers rejection claim dispute in our forum, which BTW some submitter use to ask us “why?”. The only problem is, 90% of rejections never peach intendment destination because submitters are using bogus email addresses and that is the biggest problem

;)

fastreplies

fastreplies, Aug 22, 2009 IP