1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Quadrupled my CTR thanks to DP members.

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by Critters, May 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cencurut

cencurut Peon

Best Answers:
    Yup.. you're right... it's the one and only famous thread.

cencurut, Aug 2, 2006 IP
  2. sysop

sysop Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow. what a longest thread. Anyway, thanks for all the tips and trick found here. Hope that my adsense will goes up within couple of week from now.

sysop, Aug 2, 2006 IP
  3. P8ntballer

P8ntballer Peon

Best Answers:
    Im about do this I hope it works!

P8ntballer, Aug 2, 2006 IP
  4. Critters

Critters Guest

Best Answers:
    I have never used visible hit counters, only counters on content (like on the draw a pig site it would show how many were drawn in the last hour, day, total) And I only put this on when it was over 1,000 (got over 1,140,000 pigs drawn now, and getting on to 7,000,000 hits since Jan 2005)

Hit counters can be good if a) they are high numbers, and b) you relate them to the page. So if you had a flash game, instead of just "23,029 hits" you might want to say "played 23,029 times" or "23,029 people have played this game"

My theory is that if people think others like something they will be more likely to stick around to see what all the fuss is about (be that playing the game for longer or looking around a larger site) This is just what I think, I have no stats to prove this, but it makes sense and I have noticed myself doing it when using Stumbleupon That said, people don't go looking for a hit counter as soon as they go to a site, but they will pick up on it, and with the draw a pig site I put the stats a the top of the page as I wanted it to feed on its own popularity.

I guess the reverse would happen if a site looked unpopular "12 hits today", people would be more likely to move on or assume what the site had to say was less credible than a popular looking site.

When does a number become large enough to show off? I guess that depends on the site. People are used to seeing high numbers (100,000+) for flash games and videos, but would be impressed with 5,000+ for an article on something slightly obscure.... It's your area of interest, it's your call.

Anyways, getting slightly off topic here ;)

Critters, Aug 2, 2006 IP
  5. Cheap SEO Services

Cheap SEO Services <------DoFollow Backlinks

Best Answers:
    Critters,

You are "De Man"!! I like the style you use to reason with others and how you explain details and sometimes use an illustration to drive your point. I'll be following your instructions the best I can on all my sites.

I have laready given you green on this thread and I would give more if it were allowed.

Col

Cheap SEO Services, Aug 2, 2006 IP
    Critters likes this.
  6. P8ntballer

P8ntballer Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey guys where's a goog place to get those small images to put nextt toy your ads?

7. Critters

Critters Guest

Best Answers:
    Google "royalty free images"

Critters, Aug 2, 2006 IP
  8. P8ntballer

P8ntballer Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks man!

9. PreZ

PreZ Peon

Best Answers:
    This thread contains the single best method for improving clicks. Just have to blend the ads along with adding the pics

PreZ, Aug 2, 2006 IP
  10. coxis

coxis Peon

Best Answers:
    Yee the trick works and it is great but i wish to see trick how to improve traffic which is low for me last days (summer)... :(

coxis, Aug 2, 2006 IP
  11. factchecker

factchecker Peon

Best Answers:
    It is a comforting feeling to know that this post still sticks around. It was the first post I ever read on this forum.

factchecker, Aug 2, 2006 IP
  12. Wally

Wally Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    good. It was also MY first Thread I read on this forum.:cool:
    And will not be the last, but one of the best.
    Also Google now - after one year - makes Images near Ads.

But take a look into your Adsense payment-protocol - do you make now more than last year? I make a little more, (not very much more) but I have more Websites now. So?

Wally, Aug 3, 2006 IP
  13. sysop

sysop Peon

Best Answers:
    Same like yesterday. No additional move whatsoever except more site to manage.

sysop, Aug 5, 2006 IP
  14. Cheap SEO Services

Best Answers:
    I have rearranged some of the Adsense banners and other formats to see an excellent increase in earnings I have never seen before. All thanks to Critters and others who have helped. Now, I just need to figure out the best way to get laptop images on my home page inbetween some button formats without going against TOS.

Question 1: If I have one row of link units and one scraper down the side and three buttons up top with the laptop images between the three buttons, does that count as 5 and break the TOS? I have read the TOS and am not sure.

Question : Aimed at Critters. You have provided some of our memebrs with some screen shots with improvisations with your suggested layout/s. Can you do this for me for my homepage www.ideliverit.com ?

Thanks,

Col

Cheap SEO Services, Aug 7, 2006 IP
  15. Critters

Critters Guest

Best Answers:
    No problem, congrats on the increase in earnings.

Not sure I understand this question, you can have up-to 3 ads on the page, so that's 3 lots of adSense code. A 4th ad-unit would display no ads I believe.

Sure, as your site would make an excellent example...

Here is your site now:
    http://www.ibringnothingtothetable.com/DP/forumImages/ideliverit_0.jpg

First I would move the ad-unit down from under the menu, been that close to the menu some users may miss-click an ad.
    Also, above all content it makes the ad-unit stand out more as an ad-unit and therefore more prone to ad blindness. Blending is king IMO... So here how it would look moved down with some random laptop images:

[​IMG]

Looking better, but the problem with images on white is that (unless they are widescreen TV's) they look small when you scale them do to a point where they are not taking up too much height. Also you would have to add a border between the images and the ad-unit, which would take up even more vertical space...
    So here is what we can do about that:

[​IMG]

Putting the images in boxes allows you to scale them up and crop them off, also, there is less of a need for a visible border as the images are in their own little boxes. I would still check with the adSense team if it is OK, using the same method I have described many a time before (posting new ad layout on a page that only they know about, and asking them via email if it is OK)

Here is the image to go above the 720 leaderboard:
    [​IMG]
    Note that the colours match your site, as does the horizontal bars, all this helps blend the images into the site.

I think if you copy this down to the bottom of the site and then ditch the ads under the menu it looks more tidy:
    [​IMG]

I would make these changes to a copy of one of the product pages, and email the URL to the adSense team for approval before rolling it out to the whole of your site. And keep a backup of how your ads are now, in case it does not do wonders for your earnings.

Critters, Aug 7, 2006 IP
    jvmills and MTbiker like this.
  16. Cheap SEO Services

Best Answers:
    Critters,

Thank you! I will do just that and email the Adsense team with an alternate page first before transferring it live. By chance, do you have the email addy fir them?

Col

Cheap SEO Services, Aug 7, 2006 IP
  17. Critters

Critters Guest

Best Answers:
    Good man... and:
    1. Log into adSense
    2. Click Help
    3. Click "Contacting AdSense" under "AdSense Basics"
    4. "Do you have a customer support telephone number?" Clicky
    5. "Contact form" Clicky
    6. "Other" -> "Continue"

That's what I did.. then when I got a reply I just kept replying to that email.

Critters, Aug 11, 2006 IP
  18. jamcon

jamcon Peon

Best Answers:
    Nice looking site, Critters. I'm interested in seeing if Adsense gives this the okay.

jamcon, Aug 11, 2006 IP
  19. vinson

vinson Peon

Best Answers:
    The ability to blend into your design will definitely boost the CTR, congrats!

vinson, Aug 11, 2006 IP
  20. infonote

infonote Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    With dark themed sites, grey, dark green etc, i seem to get better CTR.

It was a disaster when i changed to blue last month. Don't know the reason why but this is my tip.

infonote, Aug 11, 2006 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.