1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

StumbleUpon.com Lots of Hits - Little Effort

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by Stin, Jul 23, 2006.

1. indianherbcare

indianherbcare Banned

Best Answers:
    If I have site where we have 500 bands profile, can I go ahead and post links for all pages? is it a good idea?

indianherbcare, Aug 6, 2006 IP
    ash1 likes this.
  2. Ponynugget

Ponynugget Peon

Best Answers:
    It's been about a week since I "thumbs'ed up" my site and only saw traffic on the first day. I've yet to see any return traffic from SU :(

Ponynugget, Aug 6, 2006 IP
  3. gdfoto

gdfoto Member

Best Answers:
    I just got 150 uniques in 5 hours. But no clicks....

gdfoto, Aug 7, 2006 IP
  4. ash1

ash1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    yea u get lots of 1 hit visitors that dont stay on ur site for more than 10 sec,..,so unlikely to get clicks on ads..
    and after 1 day of rating ur site, traffic for the most part disappears

ash1, Aug 7, 2006 IP
  5. TigerGreen

TigerGreen Peon

Best Answers:
    My theory after having added a page or two.

1.) When you sign up, you picked catagories that interest you. If no one else has added that catagory as a interest and you submit a page for that topic...no one will see it.

2.) SU might be self-filtering... What I mean is this:
    -Day 1: Site submitted. Out of first 100 views, only one person gives it a thumbs up.
    -Day 2: Ratio of being shown drops or is based partically/solely on the number of up thumbs. Therefore, with only two thumbs or a thumb and an entry, the site doesn't apear in the rotation as often.
    -Day 3: Four people click on thumbs up for only being shown 20 times.
    -Day 4: Site appears more often in rotation.

Based on this idea of popularity and that effecting the number of times seen, the system of SU is filtering the best (most thumbed up articles to the top). I haven't mentioned the thumbs down but you can see how that would apply to the above scenario.

This would/could also account for waving of traffic. They could take age into account so over time, you see smaller waves and more steady numbers.

It is possible, that if a site gets no thubs up the first day, it's re-introduced on the third day with the 100 number. This would even out weekend surfing habits with weekday habits.

And yes, SU is addictive.

TigerGreen, Aug 7, 2006 IP
  6. SeanIM

SeanIM Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hopefully the person 'stumbling' on their own sites took the whole few days it takes to build a quality site worthy of bookmarks prior to 'digging' their schtufff...

:D

SeanIM, Aug 7, 2006 IP
  7. prettypeach

prettypeach Peon

Best Answers:
    so should i change my interests in SU? click lots of interest for others to see them?

prettypeach, Aug 8, 2006 IP
  8. TigerGreen

TigerGreen Peon

Best Answers:
    No, you just have to realize that your site on DUI lawyers (or whatever) might not be seen because other people haven't picked a topic like "legal" or whatever relates.

TigerGreen, Aug 8, 2006 IP
  9. john269

john269 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I found out about stumbleupon once checking my stats and noticing that I had quite a bit of traffic from this source.

Once I found out more about it, I then notice that the traffic is not all that good as people normally see your one page and then click off it.

Say about 1 visitor in every 100 - 250 will actually visit more than one page of your site. That's what I have found out anywhere, but then it depends what page they see first on your site I guess.

For your information, this is an entertainment site which can be highly addictive. Free online games which people can play for free.

john269, Aug 8, 2006 IP
  10. hogwild

hogwild Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you for this thread!

Here is my experience so far. Hopefully you will find it helpful.

I submitted a bunch of my individual pages. Only 1 page really got popular.

But that one page was viewed 13,000 times in one day.

This was great for my CPM ads.

In Adsense, it made hardly any money. Very few clicks.

Those 13,000 people only left 4 comments.

I got hardly any Free Newsletter sign-ups.

My hope, of course, is that those people bookmarked my site and return for more!

hogwild, Aug 8, 2006 IP
  11. john269

john269 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That is an idea that I wouldn't really do.

When people start doing things like this it just ruins the whole concept.

For example, there is alot of fraud in the ppc search engine industry now as there are many people that thought they could earn more money by just clicking on other peoples ads if they do it in return.

Well doing this with StumbleUpon is just the same in a way, apart from you just get extra traffic and not money.

john269, Aug 8, 2006 IP
  12. john269

john269 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Even though you earn from this through cpm ads on your site you still have to watch as all cpm ad networks normally have a minimum limit to how little clickthru's the CPM ads must produce on your site.

If you already have a low CTR on these CPM ads then using StumbleUpon could end up making your CTR even lower and you could then loose your CPM ads accounts.

If you get good CTR's on these ads then StumbleUpon is a good way to earn more money.

I get quite a bit of traffic from StumbleUpon on my games part of the site where people keep on clicking the "I Like it!" link so my traffic is not really stopping from there.

I also earn CPM on some pages of my site so it does help me earn a little more, but I guess these visitors from StumbleUpon must be clicking on these ads as my CTR has not decreased even though I am getting more traffic from StumbleUpon to what I was getting a few months back.

Nice extra traffic. How I see it, is that if the traffic doesn't convert, then at least your site is getting more exposure, which should hopefully help your branding.

john269, Aug 8, 2006 IP
  13. TigerGreen

TigerGreen Peon

Best Answers:
    Regards to "when people start doing this [submitting your own site], I'd like to make a few notes based on the above findings I reported.

First, I submitted about 6 pages from three sites. Also, these 6 I picked, I thought were my best as far as stuff I'd share with others because I find them useful. I didn't blindly submit everything. In fact, as far as adsense goes, they were probably the lower paying pages, so it wasn't for the money.

Next, regarding adsense, I didn't care one way or another. I'm interesting in showing people I have quality content on my site. If they bookmark, great...that's more the goal.

I would hope SU uses a filter of number of submissions by one person to the same site.

If I recall, most of thde pages I've "Stumbled Upon" didn't have adsense. Hmmm....

TigerGreen, Aug 9, 2006 IP
    Jobber likes this.
  14. Jobber

Jobber Peon

Best Answers:
    I registered my site last night with stumbleupon and my brand new site went from 30 hits to 150 in about an hour. Though nobody clicked my ads it was sweet to get some new hits right away. I then tried it with a bit more established site I have and it jumped up almost 300 hits in a day from stumbleupon. Considering I get about 10 a day with the SE's I think thats pretty sweet.

Jobber, Aug 11, 2006 IP
  15. john269

john269 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Sites like stumbleupon only really work best with entertainment sort of sites. These are sites like humor, games, video sites, etc.

I get some traffic from stumbleupon and only a few of them actually stick around.

john269, Aug 11, 2006 IP
  16. WebNirvana

WebNirvana Peon

Best Answers:
    No no. StumbleUpon is good enough as it is... there's no need to cheat it.

WebNirvana, Aug 11, 2006 IP
  17. factchecker

factchecker Peon

Best Answers:
    SU will ban your site. Every day I would put up 3 pages. (Worked wonders).. Then, after a month, it stopped categorizing pages for that site. Then, it stopped site 2 (only put up a few with that site)...... I still get about 30 hits a day one month later.

factchecker, Aug 11, 2006 IP
  18. WebNirvana

WebNirvana Peon

Best Answers:
    Same thing happened to me. Your site isn't actually banned, it just doesn't allow you to submit from that URL anymore. Anyone else can still index your site.

WebNirvana, Aug 11, 2006 IP
  19. travs

travs Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    hey Stin thanks alot for this one :)

travs, Aug 11, 2006 IP
  20. bobisawsome7

bobisawsome7 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Hi guys,

I added 2 of my sites to stumbleupon, just earlier today, and i have received more than 150 visitors on each. My ads have been making more money than usual (they are not adsense or YPN) and everything has been going on well. I love that thing ;)

bobisawsome7, Aug 11, 2006 IP