1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to Switch from Part-Time Writing to Full-Time Writing

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Sneakyheathen, Aug 16, 2009.

I was wondering about the logistics of going from just part-time freelance writing to full-time freelance writing.

I wanted to write a post about it on my blog to answer a reader question and add to my series, but I'm still a student, so I'm stuck with part time. :D I'd be happy to link back to anybody who helps me answer this question.

So...how do you go from part time freelancing to full-time freelancing.
    What kind of challenges would you face besides finding more work?
    What kinds of jobs should you be looking out for to be more profitable?
    What kind of marketing and promotion works better with full-time?

Please help me out. :)

Sneakyheathen, Aug 16, 2009 IP
  2. erase

erase Member

Best Answers:
    the first thing my eyes catched was the name on the top. Looks abit empty...Do something with it;)

And you could write the hosting prices to the hosting plans.

erase, Aug 16, 2009 IP
  3. Sneakyheathen

Sneakyheathen Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think you have the wrong thread....:confused::eek:

Sneakyheathen, Aug 16, 2009 IP
  4. cd928

cd928 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hope that helps. :)

cd928, Aug 16, 2009 IP
  5. SA Professional

SA Professional Peon

Best Answers:
    That is really good advice.

One thing that can not be stressed enough though is QUALITY, QUALITY AND QUALITY.

Providing your clients with extreme quality on time is the key that will unlock great opportunities. All buyers are looking for a writer that present outstanding, accurate and unique work ON TIME and naturally at reasonable cost.

Once you achieved to do all that, you will get return business.

Regretfully too many people think that a large turnaround of articles provide a solid income. That is not true. Poor or even just sub standard quality results in once off business.

So to answer the question, how you do it? You work really hard! In addition, more than ever before. So it is ultimately imperative to truly LOVE what you are doing!

SA Professional, Aug 17, 2009 IP
  6. succeedemail

succeedemail Peon

Best Answers:

Challenges.... making productive use of your time, avoiding writer's block/mental freezes... finding work that you actually enjoy doing... establishing relationships with clients... etc.

succeedemail, Aug 17, 2009 IP
  7. Kat Fuschillo

Kat Fuschillo Peon

Best Answers:
    I've noticed that a lot of new full-time writers fall down on their turn around times.

You have to learn how to do things fast. You need to be able to research quickly, but thoroughly, and choose only the best sources to use.

You also need to be able to write fast. The more articles you can write each day, the more you will make. BUT... don't take on too much work, and never sacrifice quality for a quick turn around.

You could also think about getting yourself the Dragon Naturally Speaking software, which could help you produce more articles much faster.

Getting customers... get yourself a professional looking website, have great writing examples on your site, advertise on a number of forums, offer introductory rates and discounts, and get some REAL testimonials.

If you're a good writer you shouldn't have any problems getting work.

I hope these quick tips help! :)

Kat Fuschillo, Aug 17, 2009 IP
  8. cd928

cd928 Peon

Best Answers:
    This is good advice. Having a steady base of satisfied clients also means you will spend less time looking for work from other sources, giving you more time to work on your personal projects and that of your clients.

Take care of good clients, and they'll also take good care of you. ;)

cd928, Aug 18, 2009 IP
  9. Sneakyheathen

Sneakyheathen Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the great response guys! This is really helpful for me. It seems like the biggest issue is learning how to manage your time to get the most amount of jobs completed.

Sneakyheathen, Aug 18, 2009 IP
  10. SA Professional

SA Professional Peon

Best Answers:
    No! Manage time is one thing. :eek:
    Being a full time writer myself with an established client base and being a buyer on the other side, I can assure you that I would rather wait another 24 hours for an excellent article in stead of having a general "yah-yah-yah-get-to-the-point" piece of work or reading another article saying what all the others are saying already!

Clients are willing to pay GOOD money for outstanding work. Less articles but something unique with high quality. If you have the ability to do OUTSTANDING work in a short time (which is very rare) then you can go for quantity.

I have found through my experience that QUALITY has the upper hand over QUANTITY.;)

SA Professional, Aug 18, 2009 IP
  11. xanum

xanum Peon

Best Answers:
    Focus on:
    1. Delivering high Quality Work
    2. Being Organised throughout a day. Make a list-to-do before going to bed.
    3. Deliver tasks timely, even before the deadline. many clients are looking for reliable and responsible writers who can deliver quality work within a shorter time. So if you can provide all of these features, they will come back again and again.
    4. Writing is an habit and can be developed day by day, if you write on a regular basis.
    5. In order to find clients quickly, I recommend you to market yourself on craiglist by emailing to those who need writers and also posting your ads.

Hope these tips help.

xanum, Aug 19, 2009 IP
  12. justkat73

justkat73 Peon

Best Answers:
    IMHO you have to first be organized. Shut off ims and stay off of Facebook to keep focused. Find some quality sites to write for and use the resources available to you, which are generally other writers. I agree with the quality over quantity concept. The thing is that you have to make a living and being able to make a full time income is not going to happen over night so you may find yourself becoming one with your keyboard. If you have the chance to do it part time until you build up your clientele then I would reccomend that route.

justkat73, Aug 23, 2009 IP
  13. SA Professional

SA Professional Peon

Best Answers:
    Now that is GOOD advice!

IMS can be a real good thing to have, but it can be just as irritable! I go on chat just if I really have to and once in the morning and once at night.

Another thing is that you need to realise that what you put in is what you will get out! The more time you spend with your screen and keyboard, the better things will go later on.

One mistake many part time writers make is that they think their time is their own now. Yes it is, but you need your budget and time to corroborate like never before! Unfortunately it will happen often that you get invited for a night out with your friends and that you will need to decline the offer because you have one more article to write and later will not make the deadline! So you stay at home and write. This is one step in the process where your social life will get a knock or two. But in the end pretty much worth it.

Those who are not prepared to make that sacrifice, must rather stick to part time writing.

SA Professional, Aug 23, 2009 IP
  14. Scotia

Scotia Member

Best Answers:
    I was writing in dribs and drabs, then did Jenn Dize's Power Ghostwriting course which showed me how to ramp it up. Now I can't keep up. It's not just about being able to write, it's about being able to regard your writing as a business.

Scotia, Aug 26, 2009 IP
  15. Lakshmi SEO

Lakshmi SEO Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Good work inflow will make you a full time writer and of course, work quality is basis for a constant work flow

Lakshmi SEO, Aug 31, 2009 IP
  16. bluemoon

bluemoon Peon

Best Answers:
    Sneakyheathen, I also benefited from the generous advices given by the great posters on this thread. I have now to be more serious about my writing if I want to establish it as a career. Thank you very much, everyone!

bluemoon, Sep 1, 2009 IP
  17. pigpromoter

pigpromoter Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As self employed, you will most likely feel like you're cheating with every hour you don't spend in front of the computer. So get ready to forget about 9:00 - 18:00 schedules.

pigpromoter, Sep 2, 2009 IP
  18. parkercent

parkercent Peon

Best Answers:
    First of all be honest with yourself. You can lie to your mind but you can't lie to your heart. When you do an activity you love, you don't even think about the clock. You don't think about night or day. You're too busy!

When you know what that is, then you can think about doing it full time. My advice is to start out part time so that you don't have the pressure of the rent. Then gradually phase it in.

parkercent, Sep 3, 2009 IP