1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Picture Copyright - Whats my right?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by calcalmx123, Aug 14, 2009.

I understand all images are automaticly copyright to the owner of the picture of something like that.

Where can i get pictures for my rollercoaster fansite (Here). Could i go to the official site's and take pictures? What can i do?

Thanks.

calcalmx123, Aug 14, 2009 IP
  2. Sneakyheathen

Sneakyheathen Active Member

Best Answers:
    If all else fails, you can ask the owner of the website for permission. However, you can find flickr photos under "creative commons attribution" licenses that allow you to use the pictures on a website as long as you credit the photographer.

Sneakyheathen, Aug 14, 2009 IP
    calcalmx123 likes this.
  3. calcalmx123

calcalmx123 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks +REP, so i can use them but i must have the username of the person who uploaded ? if i dont have credit to them what can happen?

4. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You can be sued for copyright infringement and go to jail.

mjewel, Aug 14, 2009 IP
    calcalmx123 likes this.
  5. calcalmx123

Best Answers:
    Ok, is there any sites where i dont need to credit anyone?

6. Nonny

Nonny Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Sure, you can purchase images that don't require you to provide credit. iStockphoto.com is as cheap as $1 per image.

Alternatively, you could take photos yourself, or request for people to submit them. But providing credit to the photographer is the cheapest way to go.

Nonny, Aug 14, 2009 IP
  7. calcalmx123

Best Answers:
    What about this:
    The images could be used for comments, reviews and criticism and my website is a Non-profit fansite, so could i use the images without the credit to the owner.

8. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:

Fair use is not something you want to rely on. Many sites claiming fair use have been sued and had judgments against them. Do you want to spent thousands and thousands of dollars in legal fees if you are sued? And that is only one part of the criteria - which is grey to begin with. If this was your 6th grade school project, then you would probably be ok - but there is nothing preventing the owner from suing anyone.

Non-profit means the site takes in NO INCOME whatsoever - no ads, no donations, no selling links, nothing - not even to partially pay expenses and operating at a loss.

If your site is a pure fan site, why wouldn't you want to credit the person who took the picture? They did the work, you should credit them, period. If you don't want to give credit, take the pictures yourself or buy the rights. Even if the copyright holder doesn't sue you, a simple DMCA (which costs nothing to file) to the search engines will have your site removed and your host could delete and/or cancel your account. If you were running adsense on the site, be prepared to kiss your account goodbye and lose your earnings.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
    mjewel, Aug 14, 2009 IP
  9. calcalmx123

Best Answers: