1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Women sued by her landlord because of twitter post.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by redhits, Aug 9, 2009.

redhits, Aug 9, 2009 IP
  2. dhuang90

dhuang90 Peon

Best Answers:
    What a waste, all these stories involving twitter and facebook and myspace are all bull

dhuang90, Aug 9, 2009 IP
  3. -webtor-

-webtor- Peon

Best Answers:
    ridiculous...is it not right to complain about molds in the apartment?what about freedom of speech???

-webtor-, Aug 9, 2009 IP
  4. digitalduke

digitalduke Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Easy way to make money ?

These suing business is getting more intense as we move more online..

digitalduke, Aug 9, 2009 IP
  5. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Proving harm is very difficult. The greatest harm has been caused by the publicity related to the court case and that was instigated by the landlord so I doubt that can be seen as the tenants fault.

As someone who is looking at a defamation case due to content on my blog I'm following it with great interest.

sarahk, Aug 14, 2009 IP
  6. redhits

redhits Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I am asking myself who will want to rent an apartment or a house at that company anymore :)

redhits, Aug 14, 2009 IP
  7. Desdesigner

Desdesigner Peon

Best Answers:
    The company seemed arrogant with the comment that they sue first and ask questions later. Wow, that woman has the right to free speech and yet even that is being taken away? $50k? give me a break! The company has done more damage to themselves than that one lady could have done with her 20 twitter followers.

Desdesigner, Aug 14, 2009 IP
  8. JPSO138

JPSO138 Peon

Best Answers:
    I really find this interesting. Lets just see what happens next. Perhaps this will show us the legal aspects of cases involving online publishing.

JPSO138, Aug 14, 2009 IP
  9. Desdesigner

Desdesigner Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree this could be the start of something big with online publishing, but most likely the company simply had good lawyers. If this is a movement in the sue anyone that says something wrong online, can you just imagine how many companies and people could sue someone right now? We might have to be more MUMS the word with our sharing online. GEESH

Desdesigner, Aug 14, 2009 IP
  10. redhits

redhits Notable Member

Best Answers:
    well maybe is just marketing, some "wiggers or niggers" styles people will want to rent there... just to look "professional" or whatever... lol

redhits, Aug 14, 2009 IP
  11. Business Attorney

Business Attorney Active Member

Best Answers:
    If there was mold in the woman's apartment, she is perfectly entitled to say so. If she claims that there was mold and there was none, then she has damaged the reputation of the apartment company by stating something that is untrue. That is libel.

The right to free speech has never included the right to libel a person or company. You can state opinions and you can state correct facts, but if you write something untrue that injures someone, you are committing libel.

Some people seem to think that there should be special rules for the Internet that absolves them from taking any responsibility for anything they say or do. In many ways there are greater consequences to committing libel on the Internet than ever existed in the past. If you wrote a libelous article in a local newspaper, only a small group of people would have read it. Within a few days, almost all of the newspapers would have been in the trash or lining the bottom of a birdcage, never to be read again. With the Internet, everyone in the world can read the article and the effects will linger potentially forever.

Business Attorney, Aug 17, 2009 IP
  12. Laybelin1234

Laybelin1234 Peon

Best Answers:
    thats insane

Laybelin1234, Aug 17, 2009 IP
  13. redhits

redhits Notable Member

Best Answers:
    True, also she stated that "XXXX thinks is ok to sleep in bed full of mold"

But that company that stated "we sue now and think later" ?! lol

redhits, Aug 18, 2009 IP
  14. Business Attorney

Business Attorney Active Member

Best Answers:
    I agree, that is plain stupid. No one should ever sue without thinking it through. Too many lawsuits seem to fall into that category, though. Makes you wonder about people.

Business Attorney, Aug 18, 2009 IP
  15. redhits

redhits Notable Member

Best Answers:
    So you think the Landlord will win ?

redhits, Aug 21, 2009 IP
  16. AC-Coach

AC-Coach Peon

Best Answers:
    I hope it doesn't end up in the Supreme Court, what a complete waste that would be

AC-Coach, Aug 21, 2009 IP
  17. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    The landlord is digging a big hole in the ground and poring both money and reputation into it.

sarahk, Aug 22, 2009 IP
  18. redhits

redhits Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah ... but there is an old say ... " there is no good or bad reputation , there is just marketing" ....

redhits, Aug 22, 2009 IP
  19. cool_78

cool_78 Guest

Best Answers:
    With new technology comes new ways of suing someone ;)

cool_78, Aug 22, 2009 IP
  20. theladyboo

theladyboo Peon

Best Answers:
    These days people need to be careful with their words on the Internet and it's really sad. If her statement was an exaggeration, but somewhat true because of the mold on the walls but not on the bed she would probably need to prove the mold from the walls was getting onto the bed, which technically it would but not all judges are that smart and would need either the help from a professional mold remover or whatever.

If you're going to make a claim then take all the pictures you can. Take all the information you can. Get quotes, get statements, etc. I make it a habit of saying things that happen to me on a daily basis and if it wasn't true then I'd get sued.

I heard some rumor of the government keeping track of people flaming them, too. I can only say it's a rumor because I can't find the info and don't really want to spend time looking for it. Ask me later and I'll try.

theladyboo, Aug 22, 2009 IP