1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is there good money to be made by buying and selling domain names.

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by Skinny, Aug 5, 2006.

What I mean is.

Is there good money in buying domains as soon as you hear of a new huge product for example (eg. Nintendo Wii, XBOX360) and then turning around and selling that domain at a high price.

Is this hard to do or is it relatively easy?

Skinny

Skinny, Aug 5, 2006 IP
  2. KC TAN

KC TAN Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You have to keep a close eye on the techny news in order to do that :)

I'm sure paople can still remember a typical scenario (wii console) several months ago. Many domain resellers have managed to earn some quick profits off the rush. You can easily earn $xxxx within that matter of days :D

Maybe the buyer of wiigame.com wants to comment on this ;)

KC TAN, Aug 5, 2006 IP
  3. Skinny

Skinny Peon

Best Answers:
    Well see the thing is I blog about gadgets so I'm pretty up to date about new and big items coming out.

So, then let's assume I buy a domain, where would I go to sell it. Like where would I get the most money for it?

DP, SP, Ebay, somewhere else?

Skinny

Skinny, Aug 6, 2006 IP
  4. mhdoc

mhdoc Tauren

Best Answers:
    As with all investment choices the correct answer is "It depends" :)

It depends on your skill at anticipating product names, it depends on the quality of your idea sources, it depends on your ability to market the names, and there is some luck involved. That said, it's a low risk game. Even if only one in ten works out you should cover your costs.

You probably don't want to do it with the rent money :)

mhdoc, Aug 6, 2006 IP
  5. KC TAN

KC TAN Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You can get the most profit out of a domain name by selling it to an end-user.

End-user seldom browse through forums when they want to buy domains. The most popular places they will go is:

SEDO
    Greatdomains
    Afternic (pay to join)
    TDNAM (pay to join)
    Namecheap.com

Alternatively, contacting the potential buyers directly will further maximize the revenue (no additional charges).

Forums are great if you do not have time to look for an end-user or when we do not hold a premium domain name. Forums to consider selling names are (according to response rates):

Dnforum.com
    NamePros.com
    Webhostingtalk.com
    Digitalpoint.com
    Sitepoint.com (not free listing)
    Talkfreelance.com

I would not recommend Ebay for selling average domains because they charge a listing fee and buyers are often looking for an offer.

Hope it helps :)

KC TAN, Aug 6, 2006 IP
    Skinny likes this.
  6. forumrating

forumrating Notable Member

Best Answers:
    definately, here information is the key, also luck and your aleartness
    you can make good money !

forumrating, Aug 6, 2006 IP
  7. 8rcnet

8rcnet Peon

Best Answers:
    Many people recommened buying and selling domains, although many more recommened parking your domains to get revenue. I personally suggest reading Master of their Domains. This has been my guideline in the domain market and has quickly changed the way I saw domains. I would post the link to the article located within CNN website but I am new to this forum.

8rcnet, Aug 8, 2006 IP
    Skinny likes this.
  8. Skinny

Skinny Peon

Best Answers:
    Skinny, Aug 9, 2006 IP
  9. sji2671

sji2671 Self Made Mind

Best Answers:
    Is there a market, yes.
    If you stick to waiting for a new fad/niche then you'll work harder, I guess it is easier to buy a large sample that can satisfy the larger market,

Most of the value of owning a domain is finding the right buyer, that takes time and investment, so if I was in that business I would a wide portfolio that didn't just try and catch onto the next big thing.

sji2671, Aug 9, 2006 IP
  10. Pligg

Pligg Peon

Best Answers:
    I can vouch for getting on the tech-domain train for quick profits. The quickest sales that I've had were for a nintendo wii domain and a zune domain. You just have to be on top of what's going to be hot tomorrow. It would really help if you had an inside source at a big company like microsoft ;) .

Pligg, Aug 10, 2006 IP
  11. KC TAN

KC TAN Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Godaddy allows you to park the names and earn revenue through the clicks. However, you will have to pay every month for this package.

I would suggest parking your names at NameDrive.com (free to park) :)
    A lot of good feedback were posted in the domain forums regarding namedrive.. Alternatively, you can use SEDO for parking services.. but its not as good (in terms of revenue) as namedrive IMO.

KC TAN, Aug 10, 2006 IP
  12. OpenForSale.com

OpenForSale.com Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, you certainly can make money buying and reselling domain names.
    Watching out for new technology/product names is one way but you also have to be careful about infringing on registered trademarks.

I wrote an article here about finding niche buyers for your domain names:
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=114576

Avoid registering made-up names. You may think they sound cute or clever but you may be the only one to think so!
    A good way to begin is to research keywords - i.e actual search terms. Those make good domains.

It can take time and a lot of patience. But the rewards are worth it!

OpenForSale.com, Aug 10, 2006 IP
  13. duceman

duceman Peon

Best Answers:
    If you're really good (and have money to spare) you can catch good names as the drop (expire). Go to Snapnames, Pool, Enom etc and enter keywords that you are interested in. Brouse the list and order what ever name you want. If the name is half way decent there will be other people bidding on the names. When there are more than one bid for a name it goes to a private auction that can last 1-3 days.

These days there are a lot of deep pockets buying anything that is half way good but once in a while you'll find a domain that you can afford to buy and make a few $$ off of.

If you are very new to the domaining business I would suggest reading OPENFORSALE's e-book on domaining. Reading the book can save you a bunch of money and a lot of leg work.

cheers

duceman, Aug 10, 2006 IP
  14. Olney

Olney Berserker

Best Answers:
    I've seen 2 or 3 recent trends of buying these new technology domains (actually products). I think the truth is more than a few hundred will instantly be registered, but only a certain amount usually sell.

It also totally depends on the market (for making money). Good advice would be to budget your registrations.Get the top of the niche & move on.

Olney, Aug 11, 2006 IP
  15. Correctus

Correctus Straight Edge

Best Answers:
    Only good domains will sell, and also, keep in mind that a website developed on the domain is at times MUCH MUCH better price-giving. Because the person then knows what is he going to do with the domain name.

IT

Correctus, Aug 12, 2006 IP
  16. Mamaw

Mamaw Peon

Best Answers:
    yes there is but stay away from trade marked names or variations of them all your doing is asking for problems

Mamaw, Aug 12, 2006 IP
  17. GreenGambler

GreenGambler Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Some people are makeing a good living, some are getting rich and some have drove themselves to bankruptcy. You need to look at it as a investment and a gamble. However the more knowledgable you are about the DN market will help to make it less of a gamble and more of an investment.

GreenGambler, Aug 12, 2006 IP
  18. WebmasterWanabe

WebmasterWanabe Peon

Best Answers:
    KC,
    Thanks for the great links I just was thinking how to sell some domains :confused: when I came across this post. DP Forum to the rescue again. :D

WebmasterWanabe, Aug 14, 2006 IP
  19. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Domain brokering is a very cut throat business.

dcristo, Aug 14, 2006 IP
  20. tbarr60

tbarr60 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I would contest this point. I go to forums over Sedo and others because I often get domains with PageRank and maybe even a developed site $20 to $200. If I go to the domain sites the prices tend to be $1544 for my-really-akward-domain-name-with-an-obscure-extenstion.nk or over $10,000 for something that would be OK but without traffic, history, or a site.

A good model might be to buy sites from forums and sell them on the domain seller sites.

tbarr60, Aug 14, 2006 IP