1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

PHPConnection.com - Custom PHP Programming - Starting at $15.00 per hour

Discussion in 'Programming' started by dotcomsdotbiz, May 4, 2006.

1. Dekker

Dekker Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Do people not read anymore?

Dekker, Aug 3, 2006 IP
    Colleen likes this.
  2. Turbo

Turbo Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    wow...thanks for the heads up...I was asking him questions about his services and stuff until I saw this thread. Let us know how this whole thing blows over.

Turbo, Aug 3, 2006 IP
    Dekker likes this.
  3. mnymkr

mnymkr Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    I just wanted to share with you this reply. And I want everyone to note something here. My first post was on Jun 6th 2006, 6:42 pm . So now it is about two months later.

Here is the reply I just recieved from him. The reply that occurs after I have called him more than weekly to see progress. Hardly any calls from him.

"Thats funny,

I checked my caller id and have not seen you number...

I am sick of all this shit and do not owe you a refund due to the amount of code already complete. If you feel otherwise you know my number call it. I am also going to call Casey to get the full story.

Mike"

1) If someone is behind on a project and has given numerous excuses as to why, don't you think he would be calling me some.

2) I want all the world to see that it is 8/3/06. I have asked for all the supposed code he has created to be zipped and sent to me by Sat 8/5/06. If it is already done, I don't see any reason why he can't send it by then.

3) I will upload the script and host it so all may see the quality of work that I have recieved per our agreement.

I feel like he has no right to be "tired" of this #$$%. If anyone is tired , it is me.

mnymkr, Aug 3, 2006 IP
  4. mnymkr

mnymkr Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Just wanted everyone to know that I have not heard a response from Michael Plasse. I have requested all of this by email.

In my opinion, this guy is either a scam who hopes you will back down or subcontracts the work to someone in another country for less than he charges you and makes excuses when the work is not done.

I am not sure which, but I believe this gentlemen is dishonest and full of excuses.

I hope this helps someone keep from losing their money. Or more important , losing their passon for their project.

mnymkr, Aug 5, 2006 IP
    Dekker likes this.
  5. Dekker

Dekker Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Well it's the end of Monday and I still haven't received my refund...he said Sunday or Monday at the latest...

Dekker, Aug 7, 2006 IP
  6. ablaye

ablaye Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    The website phpconnection.com is gone.
    "Notice: This domain name expired on 07/29/06 and is pending renewal or deletion".
    I guess you all got scammed.

Dekker, how much money did you give him?

ablaye, Aug 7, 2006 IP
    Dekker likes this.
  7. Dekker

Dekker Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    About $375 USD, $350 and then I lent him $25 so he could refund another guy.

I'm gonna give him a call tommorow, or well today since it's past 1 am :p

I think he's moved to this site: http://dotcoms.biz/digg/

That's the "beta" he created for me, apparently it was supposed to be updated with the new stuff when I spoke to him on Sunday, however from what I see it's the template I designed, except there's a link now.

What can I do? I feel hopeless, really hopeless.

Dekker, Aug 7, 2006 IP
  8. Cobalt64

Cobalt64 Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Depending on how you paid, you could have problems getting a refund by now. Some payment services will do very little once a period has expired, such as the lack of ability to open a dispute via Paypal after 45 days.

The best of luck to you in getting your refund, be sure to let us know how you go. I'll admit I'm surprised at this, as Michael did some work for me when he first opened up this thread and I got it on time and in good order, though it seems I was lucky to get in early...

You're well within your rights to claim a full refund including the deposit judging by the amount of work shown for the time you have waited. I know I do not know the "full" story, but even I know waiting a couple of months and seeing jack isn't what you expect for $350.

Cobalt64, Aug 8, 2006 IP
  9. ablaye

ablaye Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Wow, that's a lot of money. In the future, when you need some work done, you can try my site. We offer an escrow service so that you don't have to pay the programmer until the work is completed and you are satisfied with it.

ablaye, Aug 8, 2006 IP
  10. Dekker

Dekker Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan

Now he's not picking up his phone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Argh this is so frustrating!

I also want to say that money isn't the main issue, i'm more irked at the fact that I've wasted 2 months. It could've been done by now!

Dekker, Aug 8, 2006 IP
  11. drig

drig Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Have you tried http://www.pligg.com/

drig, Aug 8, 2006 IP
  12. ajscottsr

ajscottsr Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Man, that's aweful. I don't understand why people do that. It really leaves a bad taste in people's mouths and makes it harder on legit programmers :(

ajscottsr, Aug 9, 2006 IP
  13. Dekker

Dekker Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Well I think I've been scammed. Let this be a warning to you all. He's not picking up his phone anymore, or taking messages.

I'm sure he's on some other vacation or trip, using my money. If he was a good person or professional in any sense he would've refunded me BEFORE he left or at least alerted me.

Dekker, Aug 9, 2006 IP
  14. forgetmenot

forgetmenot Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    I have been interested to provide Custom PHP Programming service for DP members. However there are a few issues that delay my plan like:
    (1) To get payment in time: should buyer pay first or coder get some deposit
    (2) Quality of Work: who will judge the quality of the work

But Dekker, since you have pay $3xx, and have been a members here for a year, would you like to try our service as a "genuine pig"? I will not ask for any deposit but payment on agreed milestone. If you are interested, please send the scope of work so that I can revert with an estimates.

Communication:
    - Email: for structured/details discussion
    - Chat/Phone: for quick review if required
    - Payment: via Bank Transfer (buyer bear Bank charges)

forgetmenot, Aug 9, 2006 IP
  15. mnymkr

mnymkr Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    I wanted to respond again. He sent me some code , that was not what I ordered or waited on. The instructions were clear that it was to be a operate like another site with my specifiied changes. I got something I just figured out how to do from a book at Barnes and Nobles. I will never use a programmer again. I am totally out of that business.

I have not found one , not one, reputable quality programmer, here or on any escrow service.

If anyone would like to see what 400 dollar down payment and 3 months of wasted time gets you it is below.

Attached Files:

mnymkr, Aug 9, 2006 IP
  16. gamesproxy

gamesproxy Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    You get what you pay for

gamesproxy, Aug 9, 2006 IP
  17. ajscottsr

ajscottsr Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    BJ Raines,

Don't let this experience make you think that all programmers are bad. It is unfortunate as in any business that there are plenty of people waiting to take advantage of others. But there are honest and hard working folk out there just the same. If there weren't honest and hardworking programmers, how would DP have the great tools that it has? What about other sites, programs, scripts, etc.?

Sorry, I hate that this has happened, it makes it harder for people like me that make an honest living and work hard for our clients satisfaction, but its unreasonable to conclude that all programmers are crooks :(.

ajscottsr, Aug 9, 2006 IP
  18. Cobalt64

Cobalt64 Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    What probably happened is he took on too much work, couldn't cope and subsequently decided to keep the money and try and fob people off for as long as he possibly could.

Whereas a sensible person would have bitten the bullet and refunded people for projects after a few weeks of no-progress, it is possible that your money has been tied up with something of his already hence why you were given the run around.

It is unfortunate, and I will certainly be more wary seeing the experience of others. However, taking a few simple precautions can make the process less risky. Payment via Paypal gives you the option of a dispute - if you see no progress after the first month and nothing but excuses, then you're well within your rights to demand a refund, via PayPal if necessary, for item not received. Using your credit card is also preferable, as you get a certain level of buyer protection against fraudulant sellers.

Unfortunately, it seems that any payments made via PayPal are long past their dispute deadlines hence why I think you will struggle to get your money back. You can rest assured that if this person is stupid enough to make theirself known on this forum again that they won't last five minutes.

It doesn't make up for $3-400 and months of wasted time, but without any contact I can't see this going much further.

ajscottsr - I agree with you, though I would have said that Michael was a perfectly legitimate, professional programmer a couple of months ago! It just goes to show how quickly things change.

It does dismay me that a so-called "professional" service can have such a negative impact on a community. I hope it doesn't put everyone who reads this off hiring a programmer, though I can be sure that I will tread much more carefully in the future.

Cobalt64, Aug 10, 2006 IP
  19. ajscottsr

ajscottsr Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Being a programmer who has done huge projects, I can offer a suggestion to buyers of programming services.

When buying larger projects, do it on a draw based development program where you set the final price, say $500 and you break the work up into 5 logically work units (ask the programmer to because what you think is 1/5th of the project might be 1/2 of the programming, the 1st part is usually the most work because there is a lot of foundation to be done before you can start work that is visible and functional). Then pay the 1st $100 and expect a demo of that part before you pay the next $100.

It doesn't eliminate risk, but it certainly reduces it.

One of the things I normally do when I am developing for clients is I post the work in a password protected area of my own server so they can touch it and feel it and see it developing WITHOUT me having to give up the code until I know they are satisfied and payment has been made.

ajscottsr, Aug 10, 2006 IP
  20. mnymkr

mnymkr Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Actually, you get no protection for services and only protection for tangible items with Paypal. I have been through two disputes with them and that is the response they have given me.

mnymkr, Aug 10, 2006 IP