1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

So long, and "thanks" for all the fishing

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by makrhod, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    That does sum up sooo many threads here.

Qryztufre, Aug 5, 2009 IP
  2. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You can claim anything you like to make yourself feel good but in reality the reason that DMOZ senior editors get all the hate is because they have hijacked a good and useful idea and turned it to a corrupt and ugly organization.

gworld, Aug 6, 2009 IP
  3. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmmm, AOL Staff doesn't seem to think so, and as they own it, their opinion is probably worth just a bit more than yours. ;)

crowbar, Aug 6, 2009 IP
  4. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Indeed! Which is why they chose to automatically likes well over ten thousand pages affiliated with an editor that do not conform to the main rule (original content). Nope, it's certainly not corrupt from the top.... not a chance, no how, no way!

I mean, it's perfectly natural to allow the top editors to have thousands of deep link listings when deep links are an exception, especially when those deep links are little more then syndicated (ie. duplicate) content and are affiliated with any editor!

How right you are... how right you are!

Qryztufre, Aug 6, 2009 IP
  5. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Rules for dead horses:
    #1 - When you are on a dead horse... whipping repeatedly will not make it go faster or be less dead.

Thought I'd add that since some of you have beat the same dead horse so damned many times you apparently aren't aware that it's a waste of your time and ours. :)

robjones, Aug 6, 2009 IP
  6. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    AOL management is not even aware of DMOZ existence and that is the reason a bunch of crooks, so successfully has taken control over it. ;)

gworld, Aug 6, 2009 IP
  7. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Oh, like when you bring up my edit history :rolleyes:

But honestly, the horse is not dead yet... those affiliated unique content lacking sites are STILL listed!

And I realize it's likely a waste of time, but as long as editors keep saying like DMOZ is not flawed, I'll keep pointing to the flaws ;)

8. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Only problem with that post is that, like most things you write, it's self-aggrandizing horse-shit. :)

I'm no longer an editor there, but neither now nor during the 8+ years I was there did I suggest it lacked flaws. I've pointed out some myself... but I did it mostly where it counted, not in here barking into the wind.

As long as you loiter here pretending to be knowledgeable... it is cogent to mention your entire base of knowledge was acquired by being an editor just long enough to add your site and 5 others. You can make excuses, but WHY you left without contributing means zip... you put in maybe a combined hour of work then became a professional ex-editor. Sad. You have zero cred, so get a life, junior. :p

robjones, Aug 6, 2009 IP
  9. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Dead horse?

Besides, I did my time in the ODP, just like many others. My site WAS listable, and I did not break ANY of the rules while I was an editor. So as for cred, maybe you need to find a better argument... or better yet, maybe add to your argument against me that most of the documentation for editing was down... not to mention the time I spent talking to other editors on the internal forums, ODP chat rooms, and dealing with people claiming I was doing something wrong.

If I actually broke a rule, then yeah, sure I could see you bringing up my edit count... now mind letting the world know just how many sites Skrenta added... I'm sure it's at least 5 times his TEN THOUSAND affiliated listings... so really, if it's some how OK for one editor to do it, why do you keep going on about me doing it?

Beating dead horses indeed :rolleyes:

10. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Did your time? :rolleyes: SERIOUSLY?! Lol. You added the 3 sites from your application, 3 more, then "adios". You flatter yourself to believe you're an ex-editor. Try almost-editor :p
    As for Skrenta, he created ODP, then built a site that is deeplinked at Dmoz as well as other directories. He created things others value and (oh MY!) he now gets paid for it.

Obviously you deeply envy those that DO more than you. Best answer is to get over it, quit bitching about them, and do something yourself.
    Imagine what you could have accomplished in the thousands of hours you've wasted in DP and elsewhere whining about a directory where you invested a whopping 1 hour of work. :)

Any jackass can kick down a barn... building one requires skill.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
    robjones, Aug 6, 2009 IP
  11. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Says one non-editor to another :p

I am actually in the process of repairing a barn, lol.

Qryztufre, Aug 7, 2009 IP
  12. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    This forum is to here to inform people, not to have whiny wannabe's "repair" anything. That's why after 8+ years there I don't spend the bulk of my DP time here. You suffer from a self-indulgent misunderstanding of this forum's purpose coupled with a grandiose fantasy about results of same.

The fixation on Skrenta is especially telling. He got into the biz and made some bucks, exactly what every webmaster in DP hopes to do. Try DOING something instead of daily displaying resentment about those that have. Jealousy is the resort of a small man.

robjones, Aug 7, 2009 IP
  13. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    And I am informing people about how the ODP truly operates. Much like you are here to inform people about my edit count.

Qryztufre, Aug 7, 2009 IP
  14. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Helpful, provided they wanna be informed by someone that is himself clueless.
    In case you are looking for a second venue... spending an hour in a bar with Marines wouldn't qualify you as a drill instructor either. :p

robjones, Aug 7, 2009 IP
  15. caprichoso

caprichoso Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you don't spend you time here why am I reading this post?

By the way, are you related with the robjones mentioned by pilotchase in his website?

caprichoso, Aug 9, 2009 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  16. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
  17. trustnobodynever

trustnobodynever Peon

Best Answers:
    like couple of weeks ago got unbanned from my lovely ban here and I was looking for you :) .... Some things what I wanna point ... ALL of you who are trying to '' answer '' to questions on the future try and don't use same things what your bosses like Jim learning you folks ! Copy/paste same things over and over again aren't fixing the problems . Trying to cover the mess from the directory aren't fixing the problems . Try and communicate with peoples who are trying to do NOT forcing them by any way to do things like you guys wanna . Do you need a prove the directory it's full with spam sites listed here illegally breaking the guidelines so loved ? if I`m giving you 3 sites like this ... do you delete HOLE category / ALL editors catmods / editall / seniors and everyone connected somehow and by any thing with them ? deleting everything means cleaning the mess not only the editor who actually added each of the sites , all from the down to top hierarchy and hole category controlled by them all . What you are saying about this :)? Do you still think peoples are moaning around because they have nothing to do ? ... Like you said many editors trying to explain ... have nothing to explain trust me ... I saw spam links witch wasn't supposed to be here and Jim come and saying easy '' link rot '' how the heck is possible that when the whois of the domains are same since they was made , cache from way-back machine it's same thing and so on ? There are things witch CAN'T be explained on this manner ... not like you was trying to do . gworld accused you about such things ? well spank hes a$$ once and give a break he's maybe too temperamental ... BUT even with this still problems aren't fixed . Short after I was banned due infractions few months back , gworld got same treatment , then like a month more Jim also ... now everyone it's happy . I still can't find any of the reasons for my infractions to be '' good '' , why ? well if you or anyone with decency see them will laugh a week lol . How's seen that ? Easy ... censorship

So in short words . IF you have some spam sites like you requested what actions do you can take ? Deleting them from the directory ? that's will not fix the mess I reported myself before one url on resourcezone forum and got it deleted within like 20 minutes , it's seems to be very fast process . What happened next ? well you can check the history of the posts to figure yourself lol . Until the directory will not be clean and spam free and totally untapped with spoiling stuff ... IF you are thinking you have right with what you said bring me one of the top editors even on private or on public forum , will provide for start 3 urls , and he / she will need to delete from the directory everything connected with them forever ( hole categories / hole editors connected in somehow with that category ... ) and within a week I think on the directory will remain maybe less than 1K sites listed lol , I can bet I can find enough spam sites here.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
    trustnobodynever, Sep 12, 2009 IP
  18. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure why you posted all that. If you read item0, you'll see that this thread is about makrhod saying goodbye. She left this forum over a month ago.

jimnoble, Sep 12, 2009 IP
  19. caprichoso

caprichoso Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, I liked the post!
    And we all know markhod will take a look to this thread once in a while. ;)

caprichoso, Sep 12, 2009 IP
  20. peppy

peppy Active Member

Best Answers:
    Why can't the Google directory just stop using DMOZ as it's own data. Then we don't have to deal with anymore DMOZ threads and threads about editors who got thrown out of DMOZ because of another corrupted META...

peppy, Sep 12, 2009 IP