1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Help. Changed IP and lost 90% of traffic in Google

Discussion in 'Google' started by Seobiznezz, Aug 9, 2009.

We moved our site to a new IP and traffic has dropped 90%. It is hurting us so badly that we are thinking about moving it back.

How long should we wait? Even when you search for our site by its name it doesn't even come up until the 7th page. It is not deindexed, just really penalized for moving IPs.

Please help.

Its been 8 days now and no return. It is like it triggered a sand box again.

Seobiznezz, Aug 9, 2009 IP
  2. Scar

Scar Peon

Best Answers:
    Did you move it to a shared hosting account? If you're site is on the same IP as a bunch of spammy/blacklisted sites, it may not look favorable in the eyes of Google.

Put it on a dedicated IP to be safe.

Scar, Aug 9, 2009 IP
    indyguidedotinfo likes this.
  3. indyguidedotinfo

indyguidedotinfo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with what scar said. It can also have been a spammy ip in the past for another site.

indyguidedotinfo, Aug 9, 2009 IP
    Ibn Juferi likes this.
  4. The Mad Hatter

The Mad Hatter Peon

Best Answers:
    I concur as well. Go dedicated or go home. ;D

The Mad Hatter, Aug 9, 2009 IP
  5. Abhik

Abhik ..:: The ONE ::..

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Don't worry..
    It's just a temporary change if you are using a dedicated IP.

Abhik, Aug 10, 2009 IP
  6. OnInternetBusinessGuide

OnInternetBusinessGuide Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think too that you moved a server where there is spam. It is always suggested to have your own IP address. If you share your IP with other people, you are at risk.

OnInternetBusinessGuide, Aug 10, 2009 IP
  7. karpok

karpok Active Member

Best Answers:
    HI,

Actually IP change will not effect Google PR or Keyword position if you follow the Google guidelines.

Find Google guidelines at: http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=34437

Your problem comes bcoz of DNS down time.

So, it will rectify around 1-2 weeks if you do regular promotion.

More concentrate on SBM.

It helps a lot.

If you penalized, your listing not appears even in 7th page. Listing appears around last in the total results.

I think your site is not penalized.

karpok, Aug 10, 2009 IP
  8. mattridler

mattridler Peon

Best Answers:
    Move it back to the orginal ip and hope google reindex's your site.

mattridler, Aug 10, 2009 IP
  9. beempa

beempa Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with karpok. It will take approximately 15-30 days to get back to where you were in rankings. It happened to Squidoo once before too -- they changed their ip and all of their sites were nowhere to be found. Many angry squidooers ranting and raving until things finally settled down. Took about 30 days.

beempa, Aug 10, 2009 IP
  10. findonline

findonline Peon

Best Answers:
    While moving IP's shouldn't effect things, stranger things have happened. You may want to switch back just to have peace of mind.

findonline, Aug 10, 2009 IP
  11. gamblinginvest

gamblinginvest Member

Best Answers:
    Karpok is right. It's a temporary thing, everything will be back to normal in 2-3 weeks.

gamblinginvest, Aug 10, 2009 IP
  12. imm0rtalmask

imm0rtalmask Peon

Best Answers:
    I've red about that a while ago on Matt Cutts blog I think and I remember he said it's recommended not to change the IP

imm0rtalmask, Aug 10, 2009 IP
  13. Seobiznezz

Seobiznezz Peon

Best Answers:
    Some people say 2 weeks others say 4 weeks. While others say moving IPs doesn't effect anything.

Well, consider this to be an excellent confirmed case study. We moved IPs Last Thursday, Today is Tuesday making this the 10th day we are nowhere to be found for our site.

We earn about $200 a day profit from our site by selling advertising. Thus we have lost $2000 so far for the move.

We have asked for a manual reinclusion from Google too.

Will report if and when it comes back.

Seobiznezz, Aug 11, 2009 IP
  14. beempa

beempa Peon

Best Answers:
    Well it definitely matters if you change IPs -- for anyone who says different has never physically done it. It WILL come back eventually -- for the majority it should take around 15-30 days as has already been stated. However, there is no guarantee for a time limit -- it could take longer. You just never know with Google.

The problem is that you're now in a sticky situation -- if you go back to your older IP, you might make things worse because it might disrupt the indexing process yet again. Google may have already started to update their index with your new IP. Going back may start the process all over again, which is obviously something you don't want. I wouldn't take that chance if it were me.

Sorry to hear about your nightmare. That's a lot of money you're losing, no doubt. Oh well, it's a hard lesson to learn -- but at least now in the future you'll know what to expect when planning ahead.

beempa, Aug 12, 2009 IP
  15. jjwdesign

jjwdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    Did you change only the hosting IP, or did you also change the design?

Jeff

P.S. - Ditto on cheching the new IP for spam issues.

jjwdesign, Aug 12, 2009 IP
  16. jadeo

jadeo Peon

Best Answers:
    Everything your reading here is speculation, so your going to have to filter out what you believe... the facts are your site was doing well before you changed the IP, and every 10 days your loosing $2000. I don't know the business reason why you would have changed the IP, but I’m sure it was necessary.

1. If you revert the IP back you could be prolonging this fluctuation, because reasons others noted above.
    2. If you ride this out you may bounce back any day.

Personally, I will be faced with making some IP decision in the near future. Please keep all of us posted on which direction you choose and the final out come. Also, I should note - I've changed IP recently and Did Not see any impact on search engine position.

jadeo, Aug 12, 2009 IP
  17. sunilmamo

sunilmamo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Personally i believe that ip's have nothing to do with PR or SERPS. I believe if you had long time getting your site live from one server to another then that might be the case.

sunilmamo, Aug 12, 2009 IP
  18. Ceara_Elise

Ceara_Elise Peon

Best Answers:
    Getting advice from Google on the way they rank is wrong. Google isn't hear to help you, because that helps spammers. The fact is that a change in DNS, shows very important things. The most noticeably is that site ownership/control is different It doesn't necessarily mean that the domain changed, but Google might view you as suspicious.

I don't think changing the DNS of sites is a good thing. I'd keep it to a minimum. Your site will probably bounce back though.

Ceara_Elise, Aug 12, 2009 IP
  19. mdamin76

mdamin76 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You may check if your site is deindexed by google. Usually it takes around 1 week for your site to get back it's position in google.

mdamin76, Aug 12, 2009 IP
  20. D'Godown

D'Godown Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

what you believe is not based on experience. Changing IP does matter for SERPs, more then half times traffic drops.

D'Godown, Aug 12, 2009 IP