1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Question Answer Script-should i sell open source or not?

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by babyLEO, Jul 18, 2009.

Hello Everyone,

We have upgraded our script and made it more enhanced and close to yahoo answers, The script is doing good and we are getting good reviews. But the problem is that we are sending the encoded script to the buyer as we dont want to make our script open and to be used on any domain.

The single domain liscence is only available on the domain name which is given by the buyer. But recently we have get enquiries which say that they want open source code for the script and most of the enquiries are like that. But we are not in mood to make it open. And eventually its affecting our sales.

What should we do, what is the suggestion.

www.questionanswerscript.com

babyLEO, Jul 18, 2009 IP
  2. Angelus

Angelus Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,

to be honest my suggestion will be slightly biased but bare with me for a moment. I believe it is necessary to explain my point of view on the whole subject.

So, I found your script not by accident. A friend of mine suggested creating yahoo answer like website but niche related (I'm not going into details to keep things private as possible). Since your script offers much of the functionality we were looking for the same friend asked me to buy it since he has some problems with paypal but the first thing I've noticed in your FAQ is that the files are encrypted which leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
    Let me explain why.

Your script costs 79$. When I'm working as a freelance developer my hourly wage is about 20-25$ . In other words your script is worth 4 of my hours. Since I believe that I can't code it in 4 hours your price is ok with me, call it exchanging money for time. So the price is ok but I wish to make customizations which I think will have to change some of the core elements of your product and here is where problems arise. You have a good product that we wish to buy and alter but can't so both sides are left unsatisfied, for now that is.

I have been using other paid scripts in my life but all of them were open source so I have never been in situation like this.

My honest (maybe a little biased) opinion is to make your script open to your buyers, there are other ways to protect the script but as you know even encrypted files are not 100% secure... Your competition (http://www.answerscript.com/) is slightly more expensive but offers open source files which is a big plus to advanced buyers. The real question you need to ask yourself now is this: Who is my buyer? Is it some random guy who doesn't have a clue about programming or is it somebody that wants to exchange money for time...

I hope I got your brain working :)

p.s. we are willing to offer your our modifications (which I think would be a great plus to you) in exchange for open source files. if this sounds ok feel free to contact me via PM at anytime

Thanks,

Sasha

Angelus, Aug 9, 2009 IP
  3. indiainc

indiainc Banned

Best Answers:
    if u dont wanna seel the open source then jut refuse such quaries

indiainc, Aug 15, 2009 IP