1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Rules Question about "Physical Goods" and Services

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Dan Schulz, Aug 8, 2009.

Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding the policy concerning physical goods and the Buy/Sell/Trade section. Now, before the staff (looks at buffalo in particular :p ;)) starts whipping out the paddle boards, ban hammers and the nukes (not to mention the "Easy Button" that does whatever the user wants), please hear me out, as I feel this is a very important question.

Let's say someone were to start a services thread in the Services section of BST and only accepted PayPal as a payment option. The service could be anything allowed on the forums - SEO, copywriting, Web design, programming -- I'm sure you get the idea.

Would offering a "physical backup/archival copy" of the service provided (such as a printed SEO report, a CD with the PSD files and source code, and so forth) that would be mailed with a tracking code as a means of protecting the service provider from frivilous PayPal disputes and/or claims violate the "no physical goods" policy here at Digital Point?

I just thought I would ask. Any feedback on this by the forum staff would be greatly appreciated. :cool:

Dan Schulz, Aug 8, 2009 IP
  2. gr8liverpoolfan

gr8liverpoolfan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    IMO a printed report does not come under the definition of "physical goods" here.

According to me, that statement is self explanatory.

Let us see what the mods say though.

gr8liverpoolfan, Aug 8, 2009 IP
  3. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    Ah, but the "including but not limited to" part really throws it off - as does the "No physical goods" part. The thing is, something that can be mailed is technically a physical good because it is in a tangible form that can be held.

But you know the old saying - better to be safe than sorry. Hence the question. :)

Dan Schulz, Aug 8, 2009 IP
    sawz likes this.
  4. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I wouldn't deem a printed report as a physical product. Would you ever sell the report as it is without any services? I doubt it.

digitalpoint, Aug 9, 2009 IP
  5. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    So it's exempt from the rules then as long as it's offered with the service being provided? If that's the case, then thanks for answering my question, Shawn.

Dan Schulz, Aug 9, 2009 IP
  6. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Well I don't mean to imply people could sell physical products by offering it with a fake service of some sort.

"Hi, I'm offering to register your domain for $400... and with it, I'll mail you a free Xbox." That sort of thing obviously isn't going to fly if people are looking for loopholes on stuff.

Mods will use their best judgment (as should people selling services).

7. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    The big question would be "what are they paying for?" If they're paying for your services, then a report being mailed to them is just a record of that service; not the service they're paying for really. So that would be OK. We don't care how you communicate with your customers / clients during a deal (phone, mail, PM, fax, or whatever). That's what that boils down to, and it would be between the parties in the deal.

I think software was mentioned earlier too. If it's just a backup (and add-on) for something they would have already downloaded, I'd probably let it slide because again what they're paying for is the digital download. If the mailed version were the primary version, or if you were perhaps charging significantly extra for it, I'd probably see that as selling physical goods.

jhmattern, Aug 9, 2009 IP
    Dan Schulz likes this.
  8. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    To answer "the big question" the client would be paying for the service itself (which is delivered electronically via either File Transfer Protocol, HTTP download, and/or email attachment); as you said, the physical mailing with the tracking code would be a record of the service being provided as well as an archive file that the client can keep on hand.

If I may make a suggestion, would it be possible (if the staff were to agree of course) to include this in the BST section of the rules regarding physical goods?

9. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I'd say there really doesn't need to be any clarification, because when it comes down to it, you aren't selling a physical good.

10. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    Was just thinking that it could save you all the trouble of having to reference this thread the next time someone asks, is all.