1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google gives importance for domain age rather than quality backlinks?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by adsenserobo, Aug 7, 2009.

Hai friendz,

I have a blog which is newly designed about one and half months ago. I am particularly ranking for a particular keyword at 6 th position which has got 2,00,000 visits per month according to google keyword tool.

I checked my competitors site which is in NO 1 and i checked his backlinks and the quality of backlinks and the anchor text he uses, and though i created quality backlinks than my competitors site with the same anchor text he uses.

For ex: if he use 22 backlinks with PR 2 sites, i created 67 backlinks from PR1,2,3 and even 4 sites which are dofollow with same anchor text, but till i cant get no.1 position in serp for that keyword.

What is the problem ? Pls help

Whether google gives importance to domain age in serp's?

Thanks in advance. Your comments are greatly appreciated.

adsenserobo, Aug 7, 2009 IP
  2. pdwebservices

pdwebservices Peon

Best Answers:
    Backlink should be higher PR. it's between PR5 to PR9, then you get the best results.

pdwebservices, Aug 7, 2009 IP
  3. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    Did you do a broad or exact search to get this search volume result?

That doesn't mean anything. Especially given that the "quality" of links I see being passed around on this forum are so bad that I'd be ashamed to even show them to my recently deceased mother.

The problem appears to be that you're not building quality links, but instead chasing PageRank the way some lawyers run after ambulances looking for their next meal ticket.

Google doesn't give much importance to the domain age. You can have a domain that's 10 years old with only a handful of links get repeatedly kicked in the proverbial crotch by a domain that was registered 6 months ago with incoming links from the likes of AT&T, the New York Times, and Harvard University (one of the university pages, not the student ones).

If you want those kinds of links (the ones I just mentioned), read this: http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?p=12104573#post12104573

To Hell with PageRank. You should focus on authority, context, relevance, and trust.

Dan Schulz, Aug 7, 2009 IP
    lifeplayer likes this.
  4. zurpit.com

zurpit.com Peon

Best Answers:
    It also depends on the age of his domain, Google likes domains that have been around for years, they usually rank higher than sites that have been around only for months.

zurpit.com, Aug 7, 2009 IP
  5. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    Okay, given that we posted right around the same time, I'll ignore what you just said and ask that you read my post. I just showed how an older domain can get the stuffing beat out of it by a newer one. :)

Dan Schulz, Aug 7, 2009 IP
  6. Italianhawk

Italianhawk Member

Best Answers:
    If the two domains are essentially equal in things like backlinks ect, age could be a very minuscule difference that puts one over the other, but if one domain is so much better optimized for the keyword and the backlinks are much better it won't keep the lesser site atop.

Italianhawk, Aug 7, 2009 IP
  7. adsenserobo

adsenserobo Peon

Best Answers:
    Some of them are saying google only consider quality backlinks rather than domain age is it true? Clarify me

adsenserobo, Aug 9, 2009 IP
  8. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    It's not true. As I already said before, a 10 year old domain with only a few links can get the tar beat out of it by a younger domain with a lot of links pointing to it.

Dan Schulz, Aug 9, 2009 IP
    wptheme likes this.
  9. Bertrand-Grospellier

Bertrand-Grospellier Guest

Best Answers:
    I think the number of backlinks is not the only factor that determines search engine rankings.. Website traffic, I think, is also a factor and such traffic does not solely depends on backlinks.. :)

Bertrand-Grospellier, Aug 9, 2009 IP
  10. greatme

greatme Active Member

Best Answers:
    There are many factors which determines a website's ranking in serp's. backlinks & offsite optimisation with good quality content is the most important for me.

greatme, Aug 9, 2009 IP
  11. wptheme

wptheme Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This is true but an aged site does tends to have a fraction of advantage compared to new sites especially if they are even in terms of SEO, backlinks and keywords optimization. Age factor is a plus in terms of content preferences. :) Domain age? I am not that convince.
    Cheerio
    WPT

wptheme, Aug 9, 2009 IP
  12. gr8webseller

gr8webseller Peon

Best Answers:
    it takes sometime to get NO.1 position,,, keep on updating your blog,,,,, you will soon hit the first position

gr8webseller, Aug 9, 2009 IP
  13. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    Then you're missing out on a lot - the links will only help you so much. You need the Web site itself to pull its weight as well. As I said before (I can't remember if it was here or on SitePoint), site optimization and link building are like the yin and yang of SEO. If you neglect to optimize one, you'll fail to optimize both of them as they are mutually dependent on one another.

I'm not saying there isn't an advantage - oh wait, I am. What I'm saying is that the links that point to a domain are what make the difference. I have yet to see two sites that are identical in every way save for the age of the domain with the older domain giving a boost just because of its age. It's not for a lack of trying - it's because no two Web sites (or their link profiles) are alike.

Proper keyword research will show that this is patently false - especially where stemming and staged promotion are concerned.

Dan Schulz, Aug 9, 2009 IP
  14. PhotonElectron

PhotonElectron Peon

Best Answers:
    It's mainly the trust of the backlinks that give the site its weighting. Make sure your backlinks are active for some time and they'll help increase your rank.

PhotonElectron, Aug 9, 2009 IP
  15. Canonical

Canonical Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's got VERY little to do w/ the trust of back links. Trust like authority and age are all domain level ranking factors. Because they are domain level ranking factors, they affect every URL on your site. Do you really think G would give those domain level ranking factors a lot of weight? A lot of weight X affects every URL on your site would get those types of sites guaranteed rankings.

Domain age, domain trust, domain authority are considered in G's algorithm, but they carry MUCH less weight than the URLs back links and associated link text as Dan has been trying to explain.

@OP

I think your problem, as Dan has tried to point out, is what YOU consider "quality" links... Here's a post that I made on a previous thread about what I believe are the major characteristics of a link that Google considers as a quality link:

There are other things that Google likely looks at when evaluating inbound links, but I think these are the 3 that affect your rankings the most. If a link has all 3 characteristics, it is golden at least in Google's eyes which is the main engine I try to optimize for.

Canonical, Aug 9, 2009 IP
  16. adsenserobo

adsenserobo Peon

Best Answers:
    But my site came to 6 th position and remained that position for 1 week and later it went to 77 position for that keyword, What to do to remain the same position?

adsenserobo, Aug 9, 2009 IP
  17. atniz

atniz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Usually new blogs will get an introductory good SERP ranking for first few weeks. I guess your introductory period is over now. Start building quality backlinks with anchored keyword, and your ranking from #77 will improve shortly. Also, try to get relevant backlink. The reason your competitor with lower number of backlink still able to beats you is because he might get the backlink from related sites and his domain could be aged. So, don't panic if you don't get first page within a year. Just, continuously build some quality links, and I'm sure you will get the first position soon.

atniz, Aug 9, 2009 IP
  18. Canonical

Canonical Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If your site was only a month or two old when this happened then perhaps this will help explain it:

Canonical, Aug 10, 2009 IP
  19. graciespencers

graciespencers Peon

Best Answers:
    dear,
    no backlinks are not the only thing that play role in good ranking. you need to have quality back link from good and popular sites with high pr than urs. seems difficult but you need to try it. do some more publicity of your blog. this will help you.

graciespencers, Aug 10, 2009 IP
  20. atworld100

atworld100 Peon

Best Answers:
    Age of a domain is very important because of the backlinks and traffic accumulated by a site that may increase the chance of getting on top of SERPs.More importantly, G wants to see how trust worthy a domain is!

atworld100, Aug 11, 2009 IP