1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Any Python programmers here?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by zerxer, May 26, 2009.

I'm learning Python because I want to get away from PHP for my websites (and of course also wanted its usefulness as a general programming language for the computer) but I'm still a bit lost on the best way to go about developing websites with Python.

Which frameworks, if any, do you prefer/recommend? Also, my host installed mod_swgi for me, so that's what I'm using if that matters.

zerxer, May 26, 2009 IP
  2. Aaron Sustar

Aaron Sustar Peon

Best Answers:
    I really don't think Python is all it has been made up to be ... Yes, I know how to write a decent code in Python, but it still prefer PHP any day of the year.

As far as frameworks go, I would have to suggest you take a look at Django - both of my friends who code websites in Python use it and they are both 100% geeks (in the best meaning of the word!), so it has to be okay.

Oh, have you checked out the "Dive into Python" book yet? It's actually quite great, if you have some previous experience with programming (which I see you do).

Aaron Sustar, May 27, 2009 IP
  3. MovieCities.Com

MovieCities.Com Peon

Best Answers:
    you should try django

MovieCities.Com, May 29, 2009 IP
  4. ridem

ridem Member

Best Answers:
    Moved from PHP to Python and Django. And I love it, I wouldn't go back.

PHP is a decent language, but it's the framework that matters.

ridem, Jul 30, 2009 IP
  5. L4N

L4N Guest

Best Answers:
    My last website was built on a few python scripts. I like it a lot. The only difficult problem is finding a decent host that supports newer version of python. If you do swtich over to python you will need to install a module to handle MySql or convert existing databases to the sqlite3 format.

L4N, Jul 30, 2009 IP
  6. ridem

ridem Member

Best Answers:
    L4N, you can run your website on a VPS and configure whatever version of Python you want.
    Same goes with the mysql/postgresql Python library ;).

ridem, Aug 2, 2009 IP
  7. L4N

L4N Guest

Best Answers:
    True, but a VPS normally costs a bit more than a regular web server if I am not mistaken.

L4N, Aug 2, 2009 IP
  8. Zizzi

Zizzi Peon

Best Answers:
    If you want to get away from PHP, python is a good choice. Its syntax is good and it has a great CGI module for running web scripts. Google uses it for a lot of their services. And if it's good enough for google, I'd bet that it is good enough for your websites :D

Zizzi

Zizzi, Aug 2, 2009 IP
  9. ridem

ridem Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, it does cost a bit more, but not that much :D.

ridem, Aug 2, 2009 IP
  10. Zizzi

Zizzi Peon

Best Answers:
    I think you'll like python. My last website used python scripts for the backend. www[dot]netmd5crack[dot]com

And I have just completed another site with a python backend. It is a proxy site that populates and maintains a list of active proxies from around the web. Python is great stuff once you learn to use it.

Also, I have found that www[dot]site5[dot]com has great hosting and support. They also have several versions of python installed on their servers which is nice because there are several different versions of python available. I'd look into them if you don't have a vps, *cough ridem :p, and still want to host a website with python scripts.

Man I hate not being able to post live links....
    :D
    Zizzi

Zizzi, Aug 2, 2009 IP
  11. zerxer

zerxer Peon

Best Answers:
    We're on a dedicated server anyways, so yea I installed Python and the MySQL module. Forgot about this thread, and have yet to do anything with Python after learning a bit about it.

zerxer, Aug 7, 2009 IP
  12. kblessinggr

kblessinggr Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think there is particularly any magic bullets involved. I'm learning python as well (but from a mod_wsgi approach on apache), but while PHP does have a few large pitfalls when it comes to more intensive stuff, it still has it's place. Kinda like trying to replace everything you do with Ruby on Rails, its just not gona happen effectively. And if you code any kind of product for distribution, PHP is still your best bet for wider support, Python seems to be much more effective for internal applications and customized work for clients who have the hosting to back it.

Could be worse, could be trying to figure out perl :D

kblessinggr, Aug 8, 2009 IP