1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Something is Horribly wrong with adsense - Long Post

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by jinglepoint, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Joe Wallace

Joe Wallace Peon

Best Answers:
    I hate to say it, but one of the reasons you might be getting low CTR on the ads is that it's not a topic people are motivated to click on GA for. There might not be a curiosity factor high enough for them to click through. Perhaps what you need to do is experiment with different kinds of monetization concepts instead...have you considered writing an e-book based around site topics? Or offering Affiliate links that relate to your content? Books would be a good sell for that topic I would imagine....now I havent seen your site so maybe you already have Amazon there, but if not...might be a good fit.

Joe Wallace, Aug 6, 2009 IP
  2. jinglepoint

jinglepoint Banned

Best Answers:

I removed that image because it violates the terms of service agreement with google. well all it had was my stats , about 800 page visits and 1 ad clicked.

No my original question is still up there.

I also just learned that my ads shouldn't be too much in semblance with my content, which could mis-lead users to click on them. So, I'm trying to change that first.
    My original question was why my CTR is too low.

jinglepoint, Aug 6, 2009 IP
  3. mdamin76

mdamin76 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My honest suggestion, is do not expect good conversion from stumbleupon, linkedin and other referrer sites. Work on ranking on google if you are really serious about achieving your target.

mdamin76, Aug 6, 2009 IP
    dairyman likes this.
  4. Alevoor

Alevoor Active Member

Best Answers:
    I see some changes since morning.
    You can place the text unit in place of the image unit in the second column but keep the configuration as it is now (blue titles and maroon texts). Moving the 468x60 banner from midway through your page to somewhere close to a navigational button and changing it to "text only" may help. (Check the ad unit below the NAV buttons after the image to have an idea of possibilities). The point is, ad units must be there where the mouse is highly active. You may need to experiment and do lots of jugglery with layout but lay your trap where it matters. Study Google Heat maps for more ideas.

Alevoor, Aug 7, 2009 IP
  5. Dr-AMG

Dr-AMG Peon

Best Answers:
    visits and clicks have went down fore considerably since last week, is it related to their recent update? will it be ok again?

Dr-AMG, Aug 7, 2009 IP
  6. dairyman

dairyman Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think you have the point there. Visits from the social bookmarking sites rarely convert or they are simply crap. It is better to optimize your site for search engine traffic.

dairyman, Aug 7, 2009 IP
    mdamin76 likes this.
  7. Adpubster

Adpubster Peon

Best Answers:
    First things first...there's little point tackling what you call the "the whole point" (I'm not sure what point you're referring to even) when the site needs to be changed because of at least 3 Policy violations. Once those are taken care of, then "the whole point" can be addressed, but it would make little sense to tackle a changing target.

Adpubster, Aug 7, 2009 IP
  8. jinglepoint

jinglepoint Banned

Best Answers:

I think the site now abides by TOS. Adpubster...would you mind verifying this please.

Thanks

(To mods, no I have not made this post to increase my post count. I don't do that. I'm not a cheapscape)

jinglepoint, Aug 7, 2009 IP
  9. Adpubster

Adpubster Peon

Best Answers:
    The Privacy Policy might be placed in a bit more findable spot (and called that) rather than having to click About Us and then TOS-Explain Stuff and finding it tucked away in there.

It is odd that you say that none of your content may be copied without linkages but then go to say that most of your content comes from other online sources. When I can google "Some animals clearly are better than this at others." and come up with a dozen+ sites that have the same article verbatim (none of which are explainstuff.com) then proving that someone copied your copy gets kind of hard! :) The article apparently first came from wisegeek, written by Michael Anissimov, but I don't see a link back to that article from explainstuff? Especially when wisegeeks terms stipulate that copying may be done for offline, personal, non-commercial use only.

There may be an issue with the site regarding copyright if that is the case. Unless Michael Anissimov copied the article from explainstuff first?

Adpubster, Aug 7, 2009 IP
  10. jinglepoint

jinglepoint Banned

Best Answers:
    I composed a big post as an answer to this post, but I think instead of posting it here, I should send it to Anissimov.

But, thanks a lot for bringing that up! Before July all the posts I got were from article emails I got from someone, and I took permission from him to put them up on the site, but once, I was checkign serps, I saw that they were coming directly from wisegeek, and then stopped posting those.

jinglepoint, Aug 7, 2009 IP
  11. Alevoor

Alevoor Active Member

Best Answers:
    That's a very stubborn stand to have expected from an advisor. And in an open discussion board, it is quite natural for anyone to get interested and take part. It appeared to me that you have ricocheted your head into your shell when you said I'm not sure what point you're referring to even. Come on, you can't close your mind and stop thinking about open hearted comments such as that even as the OP has taken it in the right spirit.

It's is up to you two to decide when you want to do it if you are mutually working on this case, but in open fora you must be open to healthy comments.

Alevoor, Aug 7, 2009 IP
  12. Adpubster

Adpubster Peon

Best Answers:
    The "whole point" (as confirmed by the OP) is the low CTR. If the page needs to be changed because of policy violations, then those changes may very likely affect the layout and thus the CTR. The suggestion that the discussion of CTR improvement takes place after the changes that will affect page layout is done is quite logical.

Maybe it's just me, but I for one do not find it very productive to try to decide ways to improve something that is going to change in the very short term.

I'm still not sure what (other than low CTR) it is that you were referring to as being the "whole point" that was lost.

Adpubster, Aug 10, 2009 IP
  13. Jackie_W

Jackie_W Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    in a nutshell there is no point at in in trying to increase your CTR if you site already violates the ADSENSE TOS as the moment your account apporaches the magic $100 mark you will be banned anyway

Jackie_W, Aug 11, 2009 IP
  14. jinglepoint

jinglepoint Banned

Best Answers:

Stop fighting guys, I feel bad coz you are fighting over my topic :p

Reg the $100 mark... That was crossed in the month of May.
    And I still have the account up. The thing is, either these are not very critical conditions, or google did not notice them back then. But, now that the site abides by the TOS, I think I shouldn't have any issues. But, still working on the CTR though.

One thing I'm thinking is, I should probably concentrate more on SEO, as organic search seems to drive CTR UP and social traffic drives CTR down. Although, most of my posts rank in the top 20 in search, not even one ranks first or second. I know that anything that ranks below 7th position only gets about 1%-2% of the whole traffic, of the tiny traffic drving keywords I already optimized for. I need to do something about that, before the CTR rate. I think CTR will accompany SEO once it is done.

What's do you guys opine on this?

jinglepoint, Aug 11, 2009 IP
  15. abdobasha2004

abdobasha2004 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    more than 100,000 page views per day
    less than 60$ per day

why?
    arabic sites !!

abdobasha2004, Aug 11, 2009 IP