1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

duplicated urchin / analytics id

Discussion in 'Traffic Analysis' started by dimitar christoff, Aug 5, 2009.

Right - not sure what I can do here, perhaps somebody can offer advice. I have written various javascript snippets on my site/blog and people just use them as they see fit.

The problem is, recently - a network of French/Senegalese sites have been copying my javascript in a very verbatim way, including the google analytics embed code and my UA-nnnnnnn id. Naturally, my analytics results are now totally incorrect and messed up.

Is there anything I can do to block the usage of my analytics account outside of my primary/delegated domain? I have tried contacting the site owners but no reply thus far...

Thanks in advance.

dimitar christoff, Aug 5, 2009 IP
  2. Codex-m

Codex-m Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok I suggest to do the following, I have tried this problem before and this is how I fix it:
    a. Log in Google analytics
    b. Then click "View Report"
    c. In the time frame, select a 3 month period. For example May 2009 to July 2009.
    d. Click on "export"
    e. Export as PDF. This will export traffic data for that specific website. You can even select a higher time frame or download only important data that you need to track. You can also select to email the report instead of exporting it.
    f. Do the same for other affected websites, backup all of it in PDF. Once you have provided a backup , delete the website profile.
    g. Then click add profile, add that website again, Google analytics gives you another javascript code, which is not corrupted and you can use it in your site. Delete the old javascript analytics code in your website.

I have things messed up before and this is how I do it.. Difficult and painful especially if you have years of data but it make sense to start over again just to refresh everything including those corrupted profiles.

Codex-m, Aug 5, 2009 IP
    dimitar christoff likes this.
  3. dimitar christoff

dimitar christoff Active Member

Best Answers:
    cheers, rep inbound. i am still hoping they reply but now i have an extra option at least.

4. JanetBandivas

JanetBandivas Peon

Best Answers:
    Is he really copying all the script..That is quite unfair in your position...

JanetBandivas, Aug 5, 2009 IP
  5. dimitar christoff

Best Answers:
    if only they'd copied adsense as well :D

6. dimitar christoff

Best Answers:
    because i am a stubborn bastard - I mailed google support and got a response.

so in case anyone else experiences this:
    i believe it's sorted now.

dimitar christoff, Aug 6, 2009 IP
  7. Codex-m

Codex-m Peon

Best Answers:
    IT is good to hear , thanks for the rep.. :)

Codex-m, Aug 12, 2009 IP