1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Does Yahoo Answers benefit in SEO?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by globalcashsite, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    If a link doesn't pass PageRank, then it does not count as a vote. As for Yahoo and Microsoft, well I'll see how Bing advances before passing judgment.

Dan Schulz, Aug 3, 2009 IP
  2. guna

guna Active Member

Best Answers:
    The answer is Yes and No

Yahoo answer is "no follow" so no SEO advantage directly

Yahoo answer is syndicated to several other sites which are do follow and you get an indirect link

guna, Aug 4, 2009 IP
  3. globalcashsite

globalcashsite Peon

Best Answers:
    I think it will help to mix up links and make things natural, like traffic. For example if traffic to your adsense site is arriving 100% from US, then might be Adsense assume this suspicious and block your account for further inquiry. However if 70% traffic is from US and 30% traffic is from other countries then this will show traffic as natural traffic. No matter if other countries 30% traffic gives you low revenue but that will make things better. Just my idea. :)

GCS

globalcashsite, Aug 4, 2009 IP
  4. 10:33

10:33 Active Member

Best Answers:
    It also depends on how the site gets spidered. Google also spiders ask.com results, meaning that nofollow no longer applies.

It aint all about pr.

10:33, Aug 4, 2009 IP
  5. Rituja

Rituja Peon

Best Answers:
    You can use Yahoo Answers for getting High Traffics, you can't get back links from Yahoo Answers.

Rituja, Aug 4, 2009 IP
  6. Frost813

Frost813 Peon

Best Answers:
    Realistically, anything that you do off page is marketing and advertising. You are no longer optimizing your page once you leave your site. SEO really only deals with what you do to your site. While collecting backlinks does help to bring up your search position, it is not optimizing anything.

Frost813, Aug 4, 2009 IP
  7. eBiXie

eBiXie Banned

Best Answers:
    as everyone said, Yahoo answers are good for traffic, Not for SEO. 100% true.

If you want to get traffic as well as SEO or ranking from Q&A site, Then try with yedda.com as well as rediff.com those sites will get some rank for your website as well.

Thanks
    eBiXie

eBiXie, Aug 4, 2009 IP
  8. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    While mostly true, there are two things the SEO practicioner has some control over. The source of the anchor (link), and the text that's contained within the link. THOSE can be optimized - everything else on the other hand...

Dan Schulz, Aug 4, 2009 IP
  9. Canonical

Canonical Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Don't really agree with this. SEO is anything YOU do in an attempt to positively affect or alter your rankings in the organic SERPs REGARDLESS of whether it is on-page, on-site, or off-site.

Everything you do ON your site can also be called advertising and marketing, but that doesn't mean it's not ALSO SEO. If you own a brick and mortar store, I guess you don't consider all of the 30% off clearance signs on the sales rack inside the store advertising and marketing either. When you walk in the store I guess you ignore all of the signs hitting you in the face. It's the exact same thing. Advertising an marketing does NOT stop when you get the customer to the site... It's not just off-site linking... anymore than SEO stops when you leave the site. I'm sorry but being a successful SEO has FAR MORE to do with off-site optimizations than it does onsite.

If I buy links that appear at the bottom of some really long relevant and decent PR page, you can "call" it advertising and marketing if you want to even though I know practically no one reaching that page will ever see it much less click on it... but I KNOW the intent had nothing to do w/ advertising and marketing which should be about building brand awareness and driving traffic from people clicking on the link. I don't care if no one EVER clicks on the link. It is purely an SEO technique used so that I can specify the exact link text used and the exact page to which the link points to on a relevant, decent PR page to get a good backlink to my site to increase my rankings in the SERP. That is the very essense of SEO...

The whole purpose of SEO is to raise your site's visiability in the search engines. It is a form of online marketing and advertising, just like SEM/PPC, CPM buys, etc. But SEO doesn't end when you leave the site. There is no rule that says something has to be "either" SEO "or" marketing/advertising and that the two are mutually exclusive. That is ludicrous. The most important SEO work that gets done SHOULD be done off-site and it's not marketing and advertising alone. It's both.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
    Canonical, Aug 4, 2009 IP
  10. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    My Google Webmaster Tools is showing a significant number of links from Yahoo Answers to my pages that I have linked to in my Y/A posts.

Jim4767, Aug 4, 2009 IP
  11. lifeplayer

lifeplayer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    yahoo answer only one of the method to generate traffic but it not giving benefit on SEO

lifeplayer, Aug 4, 2009 IP
  12. Web Gazelle

Web Gazelle Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yahoo answers could possibly help yahoo rankings. Yahoo seems to give a boost from most of their own things like their directory. The links are nofollow so it will not help Google rankings.

Web Gazelle, Aug 4, 2009 IP
    Dan Schulz and lowster11 like this.
  13. triocecak

triocecak Peon

Best Answers:
    I think it Doesn't benefit in SEO but Yahoo Answers can give traffic to your website.

triocecak, Aug 4, 2009 IP
  14. 22websitedesign

22websitedesign Peon

Best Answers:
    help in only increasing the traffic.

22websitedesign, Aug 5, 2009 IP
  15. dadeon

dadeon Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Take them regardless of the nofollow - they are great links and will look good in your link profile.

Be careful with relying on it for traffic because all it takes is one of your competitors to report you for 'posting links' and you're done!

dadeon, Aug 5, 2009 IP
  16. Frost813

Frost813 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes I agree, you can optimize your link to your site to contain the right keywords, that's still not optimising your site, it's optimizing a link. The link helps to tell the spider what to expect on the page, but it doesn't optimize the page itself. That's all I was saying.

Hey thanks for stating the obvious response, I appreciate it.

Would you mind pointing out in my post where I said that in store advertising didn't exist. I'm trying to figure out what steps you took to get to this statement. I work for an online retailer, and I run my own retail shops online, and in the past I've worked in actual retail stores. So to say that I would not know what in store marketing was is a pretty bold statement...stupid, and bold.

"The essence of SEO" wow, deep. I suggest you read my post again, if you do, you'll notice the part where I say that backlinks do help to raise your position. I would never say that links are the essence of SEO. I never said that you shouldn't collect backlinks, I was just saying that they don't optimize a damn thing. They tell the spider what to expect on the following page. Now again, let me state that backlinks do help to raise your position, if they didn't Google Bombs would have never worked.

To use your example of signs in the store, think of a link as a billboard on the side of the highway. They tell you bits of information, maybe about a sale, and where to find it. They help to bring people to the store, and hopefully that traffic converts. Now, you're optimizing your brick and motar store. But billboards are a form of advertising, so are links, you can put one on that long list and hope that a spider finds it and follows it, but there's never any guarantee that will happen.

The most important work should be done on your website. A properly optimized site will make your link building efforts go a lot smoother. Besides, SEO began on site, before anyone knew about collecting backlinks.

Frost813, Aug 5, 2009 IP
  17. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    Well you have to remember we were talking strictly about links here. Believe me, of ALL the people on this forum, I KNOW there's far more to SEO than optimizing link text and sources.

Dan Schulz, Aug 5, 2009 IP
  18. sbouazza

sbouazza Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes it does benefit in SEO, but indirectly .

I mean, even if the links are nofollowed, visitors will click on them, and probably link to the pages they are interested on if they have a website, so you get indirectly a natural dofollow link .

sbouazza, Aug 5, 2009 IP
  19. miles2go

miles2go Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes it can be if ask some question with keyword in it you make get search by different search engine. So you can get few visitors from it.

miles2go, Aug 5, 2009 IP
  20. Frost813

Frost813 Peon

Best Answers:
    You and I were, yes. I still agree with your statement. My "rant" was directed elswhere.

Frost813, Aug 5, 2009 IP
    Dan Schulz likes this.