1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Defamatory comments

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by usearchme, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Hi there

Someone has posted deflamotory comments about one of my websites on some review site, I just wondered what is the best way to handle this, Ive emailed the site asking them to remove it.

Just wanted to know what to do if they dont !

Woc

usearchme, Aug 1, 2009 IP
  2. amazingronit

amazingronit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As you said, it's a review site dude! Do you expect only "good" reviews ? check for reviews of bigshots like paypal and microsoft and you'll know what kind of reviews the recieve. It's impossible to please everyone you know. Start living with it.

amazingronit, Aug 1, 2009 IP
    indyguidedotinfo likes this.
  3. usearchme

usearchme Active Member

Best Answers:
    No i dont expect good reviews i can handle bad reviews say my sites are crap etc, but to make deflamatory claims about my site, which someone has posted, is very damaging to my sites reputation as we work hard to keep our site clean, surely you cant just post a load of lies !

Woc

usearchme, Aug 1, 2009 IP
  4. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    The best thing is to post a simple response on that site or ignore it.

browntwn, Aug 1, 2009 IP
  5. AssistantX

AssistantX Peon

Best Answers:
    Since it is a review site, it is up to the moderators of that site to delete the comments based on their review policies.

AssistantX, Aug 1, 2009 IP
  6. sugarlipz

sugarlipz Peon

Best Answers:
    I think you should leave it alone. It's a REVIEW site. If they weren't pleased with your services or whatever you can't stop them from saying so. MAYBE though, try to contact the poster and do whatever you can to settle the problem, then they MAY just post about the great follow up customer service and reverse it all. However DO NOT ask them to do so, leave it up to them. :)

sugarlipz, Aug 3, 2009 IP
  7. sandin

sandin Peon

Best Answers:
    Well if you would claim that the review is false and produce some kind of evidence to the owner of that review site, I'm sure they will remove the review. You can't just ask them to remove it, they will think that you did a bad job and the client was not satisfied. It would be unpurposeful for them to remove it.

sandin, Aug 3, 2009 IP
  8. locals

locals Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    LOL this brings up a good topic because I own Piece of Shit Websites and once I made a thread on here and people were telling me basically I couldnt use it for what I wanted to but I think that is because they were scared . . . BUT THIS CONTRADICTS EVERYTHING . . . be on the look out for POS Websites LOL

PS Sorry your products didnt meet someone par. But Take what they said about your website and fix it if you can. If they didnt like it enough to comment on your site then it is something you might wanna look into.

ALSO he also just created traffic for you .. . people are going to visit the site to see what he is talking about, then if he is just bashing you then you will make a sale... if he was trying to help you but you felt it was unconstructive critisism then you might see more response to his article . ..

locals, Aug 3, 2009 IP
  9. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    p.s. Your piece of shit site is down/messed up.

Attached Files:

browntwn, Aug 3, 2009 IP
  10. TechSole

TechSole Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Issue a cease and decist statement. These are legally binding and will scare them enough to remove the affending matter

TechSole, Aug 4, 2009 IP
  11. locals

locals Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    yes . . . as i own over 100 websites . . . which i dont want to be listed on a website like piece of shit websites . . .
    that one has been placed as LOW priority LOL

and if you read the post I was under the impression that people would be able to FORCE me to take down my "review" so now . . .
    I will begin the internet "reviews" LOL just wait when some one gets a piece of shit award in an email .. . do you think they will post it on their page LOL AHAHAHA it is going to be the image of the magnify glass header LOL

locals, Aug 4, 2009 IP
  12. fathom

fathom Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Man it stinks here... must be a real old piece of shit website

fathom, Aug 4, 2009 IP
  13. Robertnelsoninc

Robertnelsoninc Peon

Best Answers:
    If you are that concerned, Take the time to Mail them a very strongly worded CEASE and DESIST. Most companies unless they have big money, will run like hell. I mail them out occassionly. However with a review site, its just that review site. Freedom of speech if it is formulated in the form of an opinoin which in this case appears to be the case. Good luck either way, worst case, hire a lawyer of some kind, and spend somre serious money, and you will just be pissed. Spend your time on REVENUE PRODUCING ACTIVITY
    Regards,
    Robert Nelson

Robertnelsoninc, Aug 4, 2009 IP
    fathom likes this.
  14. usearchme

usearchme Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi there

Just to follow up this, I have looked into this issue a lot, and it is actually against the law to make deflamatory claims about a website, there is a massive difference between getting a bad review and someone making claims you run an illegal site.

I emailed hte site in question and they have removed the review that was submitted, if they hadnt I would have took legal action anyway, so you dont acutally have to put up with stuff like this.

Where as some people say just ignore it, this is wrong if you have a website with a reputation you have a right to defend it !

Woc

usearchme, Sep 4, 2009 IP
  15. locals

locals Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    well even though the domain in your blog sig . . . is NOT a POS . . . and I know that it bothers you greatly when some one rights borderline negative reveiws about your site . . . you can find your site on my site LOL AHAHAHAYHAHAHAHA

Just kidding . . . dont get your pannies in a bunch LOL

have a good day and im glad they removed the review for you

locals, Sep 4, 2009 IP
  16. fathom

fathom Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just to be clear... just because they took something down doesn't mean anything... had they not and had you gone to court you would have to prove they "KNOWINGLY PUBLISHED LIES"... that isn't easy to prove.

I'm sure you could show your domain was "legal"... but that means nothing... how did they know those facts... did you share legal documentation in advance?

IMHO you got lucky and you were stupid... a smart person would have filed court action and sought damages while risking losing a court battle.

fathom, Sep 4, 2009 IP
  17. nitin22

nitin22 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Good that things worked out well. Most of the time in these circumstances C&D is the way to go. If site doesn't comply then issue C&D to web host.

nitin22, Sep 4, 2009 IP
  18. dulcificum

dulcificum Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you have legal recourse, take it. If not, get over it.

dulcificum, Sep 4, 2009 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.