1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Double 301s ;)

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by susan8051, Aug 4, 2009.

I am redirecting Site1/page.html to Site2/page.html and in site 2, i redirect page.html to page/

That is
    Site1/page.html -> Site2/page.html

Site2/page.html -> Site2/page/

All the redirects are 301
    Is this Ok with SEO guidelines??

susan8051, Aug 4, 2009 IP
  2. maineexista

maineexista Peon

Best Answers:
    I suggest site1/index.html to site2/index.html using 301 and site2/index.html to site2/ using mod_rewrite ;)

awesome day to you ;)

maineexista, Aug 4, 2009 IP
    susan8051 likes this.
  3. zurpit.com

zurpit.com Peon

Best Answers:
    it should be ok, I dont see why it wouldn't

zurpit.com, Aug 4, 2009 IP
    susan8051 likes this.
  4. susan8051

susan8051 Peon

Best Answers:
    and how should i be notifying google about the new change via webmaster tools..?
    will it be enough if i just notify them that site1 has moved to site2(or should i do anything more.. because i have made some internal redirects at site2)

An i got another question.. how long will it normally take to the links from site1 to disappear from the search engines..(becuase i am redirecting it completely.. i hope all new links will chnage to the form site2/page/)

5. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    There's no need to file a notice. The next time the Googlebot crawls your sites they'll notice the redirects and update their indexes accordingly.

Dan Schulz, Aug 4, 2009 IP
  6. Canonical

Canonical Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Dan is correct... Google and the other engines will detected the "stacked" 301s and deal w/ them appropriately.

You may want to consider unstacking your redirects by changing them from:

to

It is said that at least at some search engines that each 301 redirect cause the inbound links to lose a little punch or juice... I've heard estimates of 1-10% or even more loss for each redirect.

It's best to unstack them if you can... But if you can't it's not going to kill ya.

Canonical, Aug 4, 2009 IP
    susan8051 likes this.
  7. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    susan8051 likes this.
  8. Canonical

Canonical Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I can't remember where I heard this. I want to say it was Cutts talking in the hallway or at "Meet the Google Engineers" 2hr event at Pubcon 2007... or perhaps a video... or maybe somewhere else. But if you think about it, the Google Page Rank formula has a natural decay built into it called a damping factor. It causes PR to decay each time it flows from one page to another. Initially it was around 15%...

So if a page has a "real" page rank of X PR points w/ 10 outbound links then MOST people think that exactly X/10 PR points are passed out on every outbound link when in reality it's a little less than that... it's more like (0.85X)/10 PR points that is passed out on each outbound link if the damping fact is 0.15 or 15%.

So when URL A -->301--> URL B it would be logical that if X "real" PR points total come into URL A via inbound links to URL A, that only a total of 0.85X PR might be passed out to of URL A to URL B as a result of the damping factor since all juice/page rank (likely minus the damping factor) would be passed to URLB.

There are other reasons as well to unstack redirects. Not all search engines are as good as Google at handling them. Some may stop forwarding credit for inbound links to old URLs after a few redirects. It's best to always try to eliminate any unnecessary redirects from the chain.

Canonical, Aug 4, 2009 IP
  9. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    I can see where you're coming from but you have to remember that Google DOES drop the original URLs from their indexes after they index the new ones. It would make sense then that they'd just pass everything over as it is - think of it as being the PageRank equivilent of having the post office forward all of your mail once you've put in a change of address.

10. justkidding

justkidding Active Member

Best Answers:

Last time Matt explained about the PR flow didn't mention anything on PR loss on his blog.. I was also in pubcon 2007, i think he addressed on 301 but can't recall where he mentioned on PR decay...

justkidding, Aug 4, 2009 IP
  11. susan8051

susan8051 Peon

Best Answers:
    i cant unstack them.. :)
    yes all i want is that everything from URL1 should be passed on to URL3(URL1 should get deindexed and pass on all its PR to URL3)

I am actually talking of a blogspot subdomain to Wordpress(selfhosted) Migration..
    All the tutorials that i found on the net(at least the ones that i found) speak nonsense about SEO(to my knowledge:)). Most of them ask the users to redirect using Meta Refresh tags(i think thats of no use.. am i right?)
    I think double Redirects can be an answer there..because blogger can automatically redirect to the new domain.. and we can further redirect using htaccess..(am i wrong? :))
    Thanks to all for the valuable replies..
    +Reps added..

12. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    yeah, the meta refresh tag is basically useless - which is why you should rely on server-side redirection

13. susan8051

susan8051 Peon

Best Answers:
    i was trying to gather some info for making up a good tutorial on the same..
    thanks a lot for the valuable replies..