1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Should I resubmit?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by unigogo, Aug 2, 2009.

I submitted my site to DMOZ 1 and half years ago, but nothing happened. Should I resubmit? Or should I submit a different category?

unigogo, Aug 2, 2009 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  2. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    You could, all it will do is overwrite the submission date (some editors do look at suggested sites by date, so that's not a good idea). It's not neccessary to resuggest the site to another category, if it's in the wrong category the editor will move it.

No site is guaranteed a listing, and we don't want all sites, so resubmitting won't help you. It's best to submit once and just forget about it, there's nothing more you can do.

crowbar, Aug 2, 2009 IP
  3. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You should completely ignore the ODP, they don't want you or your site. In fact, you are nothing more then a dirty webmaster and they want NOTHING to do with you. Your site does not deserve their time, in fact, by you even suggesting it should be listed is grounds for some editors to warrant it NOT be listed at all!

So leave now while you still can, and promote you site by other methods that actually have a chance of being worthwhile, and keep building your content.

You never know, someone from the ODP may find your site in google and forget that you submitted it a year ago and list it!

Qryztufre, Aug 2, 2009 IP
  4. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    You're making yourself look silly, Q. lol
    You're funny. :)

crowbar, Aug 3, 2009 IP
  5. techfreakz.co.cc

techfreakz.co.cc Peon

Best Answers:
    many big websites are not indexed on dmoz
    leave dmoz

techfreakz.co.cc, Aug 3, 2009 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  6. searchcandy

searchcandy Peon

Best Answers:
    Dmoz is a waste of time...

searchcandy, Aug 3, 2009 IP
  7. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Just paraphrasing other editors (LOL) though ya gotta admit the end result of my post is pretty dead on in that there is no need to resubmit and that if the person continues to build their site and promote it, they may find themselves added ;)

Qryztufre, Aug 3, 2009 IP
  8. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    Here is what I truthfully think.

It certainly doesn't hurt to suggest a site, for the time it takes, and in some categories those suggestions are very helpful to get. I can think of 4-5 niche categories that I edit myself where they are very welcome, even if not neccessary.

I do look at every single one of them there.

In other categories, that are very prone to getting junk sites (which is what we consider to be spam), it really is much easier to build the category by looking elsewhere for sites to populate it with. It's faster and more productive.

Then there are other places in the Directory that may have 50,000 - 60,000+ site suggestions scattered over a wide area. It's impossible to get to all of them with the number of experienced editors we have, and it does take experience.

In a volunteer organization like the ODP, you can't force editors to become experienced in those areas, you can only encourage them to. And, we have our own lives to live, including working full time jobs.

Another thing I'd say is that site suggestions never stop coming in, we get hundreds, if not more, daily.

Editing is just like all of you coming to this forum, you can, but you don't have to, you can post or not post, nobody will twist your arm, one way or the other. You do it because you choose to do it. :)

crowbar, Aug 3, 2009 IP
  9. UKDomains

UKDomains Member

Best Answers:
    DMOZ complete waste of time. The editors are too busy chatting in the forums to actually do some *gasp* work

UKDomains, Aug 3, 2009 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  10. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    But you do not check all of the categories, and some of them potentially never get looked at. If there is not a named editor on them, then it's by pure chance that someone with additional access comes along and looks. Not all editors look at the queue, and the queue (should I be calling it a sand pit?) is not something that editors NEED to look at. On the off chance the submitter (suggester?) is trying for one of those, then there is an equal chance (and in some cases greater chance!) that they can get listed if they in fact do NOT submit. So I was not just pulling things out of my hind end...as not all the categories are a lucky as the ones you are working on ;)

11. Studio Burst

Studio Burst Peon

Best Answers:
    Dont bother hanging around checking DMOZ every other day ffs ... took my PR6 site 9 months to get listed yet my PR5 site is still not listed and it was submitted in 2005!

Never re-submit!

Studio Burst, Aug 3, 2009 IP
  12. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    That's very true.

And to make things a little more complicated, everyone who comes here is looking for one thing, to get their own sites listed, but that isn't the editing community's goal or main purpose.

You all may think it should be and want it to be, but it isn't.

How many editors do you see in here? And how do you know an editor doesn't have multiple windows open simultaneously, as I usually do? :D

crowbar, Aug 3, 2009 IP
  13. Qryztufre

Best Answers:

I've suggested MANY MANY more sites then simply the ones I own, so thanks for placing yourself on the opposite spectrum you are trying placing me ;)

14. ice_cube

ice_cube Peon

Best Answers:
    Leava DMOZ maybe the best step, but some people still rate high ir your site listed in DMOZ ? how about it ?

ice_cube, Aug 5, 2009 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  15. caprichoso

caprichoso Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Unigogo, DMOZ rules states:
    1. Submitting your site twice is assuring it's labeled "non-listable".
    2. You are free to submit your site as many times as you want.
    3. There is no way you will ever know if your submission went through or if it was lost by a system bug.

They won't tell you if your submission is there. They won't stop you from resubmitting. But they will punish you as hard as they can if you do it. :cool:

caprichoso, Aug 9, 2009 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.
  16. atworld100

atworld100 Peon

Best Answers:
    Nobody will give you words that directory submission could help u a lot. Most engines don't respect directories much anymore. It may take a few weeks for the engines to update the backlink report. In spite of all of these, 1 and half years could convice u enough that it is not a good way for u.

atworld100, Aug 9, 2009 IP
  17. hsz228

hsz228 Member

Best Answers:
    my website is about 2 years ,it has not been added ,so I feel very pity

hsz228, Aug 12, 2009 IP
  18. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    Why do you insist on giving out false information?
    No, it doesn't. The second one would merely overwrite the first one and change the suggestion date. That isn't good for you because "some" editors do look look at suggested sites by the date it was suggested.

Again, that's false.
    http://www.dmoz.org/add.html
    Half true. You will know if it went through if it shows up listed in the Directory. If it's lost by a system bug, we wouldn't know either, but it's unlikely.

True, we don't do status checks on site suggestions, nor would it do you any good to know, so there's no sense in our wasting our time to tell you.

True, there's no mechinism to stop someone from resuggesting that site or another one they find worthy to suggest, and if you become abusive you could be banned, just as you could be banned from this site for abusive behavior. But, you have to earn that privlege. :D

crowbar, Aug 13, 2009 IP
  19. dsouza

dsouza Peon

Best Answers:
    i think there is no existence of dmoz, so leave it.

dsouza, Aug 13, 2009 IP
  20. caprichoso

caprichoso Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What an editor comments over a suggested site we will never know. Including whether he comments it as non-listable.

You are free of submitting your site as many times as you want. The system doesn't prevents you from doing. That you will be punished for doing it doesn't prevents you from resubmitting.

You said I was giving false information but the only point you could actually deny is I can't be sure what an editor does with a site submitted twice or more. It's true I can't be sure and nobody can be sure. Whether a editor will consider it spam is something nobody knows. But if he does you can kiss your listing opportunity good bye. :)

It seems you are running out of arguments as you started suggesting I could be banned in this forum. :)

caprichoso, Aug 13, 2009 IP