1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Feature Thread Sort Order

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by digitalpoint, Aug 1, 2009.

1. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    The bumping rules mentioned are much older than 120 days. If people had bothered following them, the change may not have happened. :rolleyes:

You didn't get a single infraction in this thread. (But posting to complain about your infractions will get you one, so keep it up and that might change.) You've been getting infractions for breaking the rules; nothing more. Read them. Follow them. It's free. And for the record, mods don't play favorites. We also don't take bribes (and will ban you if you offer one).

Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
    jhmattern, Aug 2, 2009 IP
  2. Karen May Jones

Karen May Jones Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    SO...only the big ballers have a real chance, like before?

Karen May Jones, Aug 2, 2009 IP
  3. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    Everyone has an equal chance. If you want to bring more attention to your sales thread, learn how to use your signature to do it. It works. And the search function is an amazing thing. For those complaining, others will be better off not being buried by their useless crap to constantly bump their threads.

4. SOULZRIPPER

SOULZRIPPER Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Jhmattern:

The problem is the sellers nor buyers are complete pro's in here. That's where the loophole exist.
    Many don't even know that the search feature exists.

And so many times I have sold sites to people who are very new to the world of websites and stuff.

Now tell me if you got a store selling refrigerators what kind of customers would you expect ?
    Ofcourse, the type doesn't matter as long as the crowd is coming in.

It's the leads we are after, and then we convert those leads into sales.
    In this case before the newbies get to see the threads they are deep buried in the backyard. And since they are new in here they hardly know where to search for.

Ultimately sales drops, newbie are discouraged and move onto some other place like sedo, flippa or wherever there are fool proof website listing.

Ok here's the deal.

DP earns alot, so does it's creator.

I don't see a reason why you guys should come up with a new site or a subdomain site like marketplace.dp.com

And have a separate script take care of stuff. Paid listing (cheap price) should definitely avoid the hassle that you guys and us would have to face.

Vbulletin is not a software that you can aptly use it for marketplace, you guys agree ??

Now please take this as a suggestion for the betterment of this community.

No matter how much people crib, rant and do whatnots people want dp. I hope Dp needs them too.

SOULZRIPPER, Aug 2, 2009 IP
    goscript likes this.
  5. Bohra

Bohra Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Then probably thats the reason this change doesnt affect u but it surely does a lot to many of us

Shawn please re consider this change

Bohra, Aug 2, 2009 IP
  6. Digital_shubhi

Digital_shubhi Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Well, its just a Admin and Mods world ! :eek:
    They are the real kings. A member is nothing no matter he/she is a 1 day old member or a 4 year old member.

There's simply no respect for members. But they have forgot one thing ---

Rules don't make a forum rule.. Its the Member's who make a Forum rule over others.

No one will hear our voice.:eek:

So, its better to leave them and move forward... :D

- Digital -

Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
    Digital_shubhi, Aug 2, 2009 IP
    joelwyn and talismanclick like this.
  7. goscript

goscript Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    There's nothing equal in here.

Here is how it was until now:

• Quality sales threads were getting reviews and questions and gained more attention as it is normal do be.. cause it's quality. (if something is good and provides quality it is absolutely normal to get more attention)
    • Spammy or poor quality threads were getting buried.
    • Bumped threads were getting buried as well and OP banned (since the 7 day ban rule things had really calmed down)

Now here is how it goes now:

• Even if the sales thread provides something which is of high interest for many members, nobody will see it. (because after 1-2 days it will be on the 10th page or so)
    • Tons and tons of duplicate and spammy threads will start to grow in an effort to drive attention to the object being sold. (meaning mods will have even more job to do than before)

You ask us to use our signature to bring more attention to the threads. So, if I am in the need to buy "articles about dogs", I should start browsing all over DP and check everyone's signatures to find one who have in his sig: "I sell articles about dogs?"

The B/S/T will unfortunately turn from a quality one to a poor and quantity one.

my 2 cents,
    GoScript

goscript, Aug 2, 2009 IP
    Bohra and l3fty like this.
  8. Karen May Jones

Karen May Jones Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I don't know if this will help you or not, but I use my control panel and follow subscribed threads. I've never relied on DP's default sorting method. In fact, I have DP bookmarked/saved in favorites like this and I "used to" recommend it to my friends/family that were suffering from the bump fest.

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&f=102&page=1&pp=100&sort=dateline&order=desc&daysprune=2
    HTML:
    or view live

PS, this sorts with a two day prune. Hope you understand that. :p (content creation)

Karen May Jones, Aug 2, 2009 IP
    goscript likes this.
  9. AaRGeE

AaRGeE Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I hate this new ordering in B/S/T .. I thought it will be same and its a good move to prevent spam but IT IS NOT!
    I agree with goscript!

As I said in DP times.. Mods and Admins will not understand this because probably none of them is providing any service on DP!!

Please switch it back!
    Make Strict Rules .. Make it Even Paid .. like $5 per post .. but please remove this new ordering stuff!

AaRGeE, Aug 2, 2009 IP
    goscript likes this.
  10. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    Several of us are actually.

That's how it ideally should have been; not how it actually functioned - hence the change.

No. If you wanted to find what someone is offering, I'd suggest the search function. You'll find plenty of writers' threads that way in addition to viewing sigs where they're actually posting in discussions. For example, if there is a thread on dogs in general chat, search for it. Visit it. See if anyone there has a link in their sig saying they're a writer (while seeing if they know what they're talking about, or can even string two sentences together, from the quality of their post). It works. It's how I land nearly every client I get from DP these days (only difference is I switched from linking to my old BST thread to linking directly to my site). It's also how I find people I hire, and I've had absolutely no problem finding people who offer what I need by running a simple search. Anyone that serious about doing business can take the time to search. If anything, it saves time over reading through thread after thread from unqualified sellers.

11. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    You can also set the sort order for the forums under your options. You can choose to sort all the forums however you wish...

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/profile.php?do=editoptions

digitalpoint, Aug 2, 2009 IP
  12. AaRGeE

AaRGeE Notable Member

Best Answers:
    and there response for the new ordering is..?

AaRGeE, Aug 2, 2009 IP
  13. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    Not a complaint yet. That's because we generally know how to use our sigs and the search feature to do the business we need to do here.

14. AaRGeE

AaRGeE Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If you are telling me that "Sigs" are the option to get sales here than why we need B/S/T section anyways?.. I can put a link on my sig from my site or blog ..

AaRGeE, Aug 2, 2009 IP
  15. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    Then go ahead and do that. Believe me - it pays off. But not everyone has their own professional site to sell services, e-books, etc., in which case having a thread they can link to helps (especially if they need to run an on-site auction). The other benefit is that threads will show up in forum search results whereas the sales copy on our own sites doesn't. A thread will also allow you to exchange iTrader if that matters to you (doesn't matter to me, but I know it does to a lot of members).

I haven't been telling people to do that for at least a year just for the hell of it. It really does work.

1. Create a thread (or your site).
    2. Add a link to your sig.
    3. Post in discussion areas contributing and learning in the forum, especially in places where your target market might hang out (for me for example that's usually the copywriting forum, an SEO professional might contribute to the SEO and link building sections most, an Internet marketer might hang out mostly in general marketing, domainers might hang out in the domain names forum, bloggers in the blogging forum, people selling sites in site & server admin or general business or something like that).

I had a press release writing thread here that brought in quite a bit of business for a long time just by linking to it in my sig and posting in discussion areas when people had questions about press releases. Even though it's not linked, I still get orders from doing that since they click through to my site (I changed it b/c my site lets me detail more services than the thread did). When I want to push press release writing periodically, I re-add that link to my sig and it never fails to bring in more business.

I've also coached more than a handful of writers here on DP, helping them increase their earnings substantially. One of the things I have them do is come up with good copy for a sales thread or build a professional site / portfolio they can link to. It always helps. It's what most of the high-earning writers here do actually (and there are quite a few who you'll rarely, if ever, see in the BST section). I'm using writers as a more specific example, because it's what I predominantly do, and it's the group here I'm most involved with. But I've taken the same approach to selling sites and e-books. When I'm releasing something new, I start a thread and add the link to my sig until it sells (which most often happens privately despite the threads being public under the old BST system).

On top of that, I've found most of the big budget buyers on DP aren't regularly active members (some with 0 post counts). They lurk. They read discussions. And when they come across another member who might meet their needs for services, they check out their sig links to learn more and they contact them privately via PM or email to do business.

No, it's not as easy and immediate for some, but the results are far better overall (and they don't run the risk of getting someone banned). If you're a seller, just try it for a while before knocking it. If you need specific help to try to make it work, then PM me and I'll give you a more specific example of how you could approach it given what you're actually selling (speaking specifically to aargee).

16. akki313

akki313 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    HAhaha... that's why you are in favor of this system.

WEll.. According to me this system s*ks... this will lower down the quality of BST section for which DP is famous for and as other members have said Shawn should surely reconsider on this.

It's just like a hell to the sellers selling their services in BST section. My avg. earning of the days until now was around $30-60. But now its decreases to just $12 in 5 days.:eek: Number of visitors to my thread have been drastically decreased. No views = no sales = no money = no girlfriend = no life

And mods says to use your signature link to increase your thread views.... haha this will surely encourage members to post more spam or unusual posts to let their signature link more visible.

Hope to receive no infraction or banned for this post.. I have just shared my opinion.. I am scared... :eek:

akki313, Aug 2, 2009 IP
    chandan123 likes this.
  17. typingmums

typingmums Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Oh you have got to be kidding me! I pride myself on running good contests, giving good feedback and making sure the designers know that I havent done a runner... which is very very often the case with contests here! I wont apologise for thanking each designer for their time and effort in submitting a design. Its just courteous!

I really dont know whats going on here lately - I was given a 7 day ban a while back for posting PM sent, or something like that, which is fair enough because I hadnt read the BST so thats fine. But I have also been given an infraction in this thread for requesting it be a sticky in the forums so that people know how to change the option if they wish to. Apparently by my posting that I was trying to increase my posts! I dont give a tiny rats ass about my post count! I'm not a child who wants to get as many posts as possible... I'm a 38 year old woman who runs her own business and comes here for the services of the designers!! I have far more interesting things to do with my day than to worry about the number it says in my post count!!

typingmums, Aug 2, 2009 IP
    jhmattern likes this.
  18. jhmattern

Best Answers:
    Actually, putting it in your sig link would only increase spam if someone is completely clueless. People don't read spam posts and think "Holy shit, that person's brilliant. I just have to buy from them!" Quite to the contrary, when people start doing this they quit spamming the BST forum and start to understand the value of sharing quality information with members. It's a great big world out there. Spend more time exploring it, and business really will find you.

As for it being hell for sellers, well, the smart ones will stop complaining and figure out how to make the new format work for them. As a buyer (in templates specifically), I'm loving the change to more of a buyer's market (and since so many sellers chose to abuse the previous setup, why not?). No more digging through page after page just to see what's new rather than riddled with stupid bumps on the first page, and when I want something highly specific, the search function works like a charm.

@typingmums - Posting to say thanks is bumping. That's all there is to it. No one needs to see that thanks but the person you're thanking. Do it via PM or in a rep comment. They'll obviously know you're not a runner if you're thanking each of them that way. Leaving feedback on the designs themselves is fine. Just make sure there's substance (not "great design" and the like, leaving it at that).

typingmums likes this.
  19. patelsagar

patelsagar Peon

Best Answers:
    What doesn't fall under BUMPing? :rolleyes:

patelsagar, Aug 2, 2009 IP
  20. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    From the Rules...