1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

ASP.NET capturing USB port events in both windows and linux

Discussion in 'Bing' started by Santhu, Aug 3, 2006.

Hi,

I need to develop a web application in asp.net which can detect a USB device and capture its events...
    For example when a person access the web page and connects the device to his machine he shld be able to detect the device and shld be able to read or write into it.
    I wrote a java program using jusb and called that in an applet..though it worked it needed lot of client side configurations.

My requirement is that there should not be any configurations in client side and things shld work smoothly.
    I know some one had done this in asp and javascript. but i don't know how its done.

Please help...

Remember it shld work in both windows and Linux.

expecting a help at the earliest....

Santhu, Aug 3, 2006 IP
  2. SEO Jeff

SEO Jeff Active Member

Best Answers:
    Have you looked into using some of the Windows API classes for that kind of stuff? I think even the .NET Framework aka Wrapper Classes around Win32 classes should have something like that though you would need to import a few Windows Forms namespaces. If all else fails have you tried looking into WMI? Visual Studio 2005 now provides a UI to generate WMI Managed Code type classes for you.

SEO Jeff, Aug 3, 2006 IP
  3. Santhu

Santhu Peon

Best Answers:
    With reference to Jeff's reply on "
    ASP.NET capturing USB port events in both windows and linux"

First of all let me thank you,
    but since i'm a fresher in asp.net i couldn't undertand clearly what u said. can u please explain it little more.

Santhu, Aug 3, 2006 IP
  4. SEO Jeff

SEO Jeff Active Member

Best Answers:
    Windows I believe provides a API for Camera/Scanner work. It is part of the Win32 API though I am not sure if there's a wrapper class for .NET. You could always use pinvoke to invoke a Win32 class for use in .NET. I also think there might be a WMI class you might be able to use as well. I have not done any development with detecting web cams before.

SEO Jeff, Aug 4, 2006 IP
  5. AverageGuy

AverageGuy Peon

Best Answers:
    I could be wrong, but I do not think you can simply call API from java applet to access local machine's USB. It will generate security problems.

Average

AverageGuy, Aug 4, 2006 IP
  6. Santhu

Santhu Peon

Best Answers:
    I called the API from an applet and it worked.
    i edited the java policy file to grant full permission.
    I did this just for testing purpose.

The problem is, i need to implement this is ASP.NET and that shld work in both Linux and windows also.

Santhu, Aug 4, 2006 IP
  7. seo-mumbai

seo-mumbai Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i think they are some programs avaliable presently in market that u r looking for, i think long back i saw such tool

seo-mumbai, Aug 13, 2006 IP