1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

BST Section Behaving Weird

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Spider Man, Jul 31, 2009.

Old Threads are not getting bumped in BST !!

Spider Man, Jul 31, 2009 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Change how you are sorting threads (bottom left of each forum), and you can sort them however you wish.

digitalpoint, Jul 31, 2009 IP
  3. blog8491

blog8491 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well, I also noticed that. I thought it's a problem with me :D
    Any MOD have an answer for this?

Thanks
    Blog.

blog8491, Jul 31, 2009 IP
  4. Moses8595

Moses8595 Peon

Best Answers:

You can get some info from Buffalo..:)
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showpost.php?p=12118051&postcount=1041

Moses8595, Jul 31, 2009 IP
  5. Spider Man

Spider Man Guest

Best Answers:
    Updated: Just saw http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showpost.php?p=12118051&postcount=1041 but dont u guys think it will be the worst situation for sellers ?

Okay, I got you !! But i think it was by default "Last Post Time" in BST like it is in other forums right now !!

Please make "Last Post Time" default .. cuz hardly nyone is aware about Display Options !!

jhmattern likes this.
  6. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    The change was to prevent what you were complaining about in your first post (thread bumping). Threads in there can't be bumped now = good thing, not a bad thing.

7. Spider Man

Spider Man Guest

Best Answers:
    I doubt :p they will start making duplicate threads .. :rolleyes:

8. blog8491

blog8491 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks shawn, Now I got the idea, this is a bad news for thread bumpers :p

Have a nice day
    Blog.

9. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Let 'em. Fewer thread titles to look at for us than individual posts means they'll be easier to catch, delete, and dish out infractions for (keep trying to post the same thing over and over after getting a normal infraction or two, and I'd say it calls for a 5pt spamming infraction). Folks who keep it up will end up banned, and for most members the BST will hopefully be a slightly better place, making it easier to find new offers without all the bumped crap to browse through.

jhmattern, Jul 31, 2009 IP
  10. blog8491

blog8491 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think no need to bump threads to break DP rules. We better to handle 2-3 active threads in Buy/Sell sections and put the thread link at signature. that's the best practice for every one :)

Good luck
    Blog.

11. Spider Man

Spider Man Guest

Best Answers:
    I'm still not sure if this is really going to help .. !! In my personal view this is something making BST slow and this might kill users at BST !!

BTW - Its like Google stopped its search engine just of the fear of spam !!

Anyways .. best of luck :)

12. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    How so? We aren't stopping anything, just changing it. It's more like Google changing their search engine because of spam.

13. Spider Man

Spider Man Guest

Best Answers:
    Ummm .... not exactly changing it ... cuz of spam !!

Believe me its like Google stopped considering backlinks as one of its ranking factors just because of spam and link sale !!

Yes Yes - This is the perfect example !!

14. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    No, Google not taking into account back links would be like us blocking India at our router.

*Probably* not going to happen, but it has been considered I'm sure (by Google and us).

15. Spider Man

Spider Man Guest

Best Answers:
    Lol ... How much traffic do Google and DP have from India ?

Umm .. m sure it will be in #1 or #2, You are talking about considering .. they cant even dream about this .. hehehe !!

BTW - I dnt want to argue nymore about this ... lets wait for the result of this change !!

16. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    From a pure math/numbers/revenue standpoint, I think you are putting too much weight on Indian users. They tends to spend less on a per user basis than other countries in the world, so Google puts less value on them generally for things like AdWords cost.

Here's some analytics for you in regards to traffic here at Digital Point.

Total number of visitors:
    USA: #1
    India: #4 (USA is roughly 4x more traffic than India)

Number of spammers:
    India: #1 (no other country is even remotely close)

Revenue per visitor:
    USA: #1
    India: #114

Obviously it's not *just* India... if I was going to block IPs based on country, most of Africa would be blocked, India, China, Romania, Pakistan, Russia, probably Indonesia and Singapore too.

17. qazu

qazu Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Oi! I'm from Africa :mad: We'll send the pirates after you (we're kinda short on terrorists). :D

qazu, Jul 31, 2009 IP
  18. nartm

nartm Banned

Best Answers:
    I personally dislike it because instead of seeing popular threads that people rave about I see a bunch of threads selling useless stuff. I guess I will just change the setting though.

nartm, Jul 31, 2009 IP
  19. ChrisMiller

ChrisMiller Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    He means that rest can't afford a computer..

ChrisMiller, Jul 31, 2009 IP
  20. sadekjake

sadekjake Active Member

Best Answers:
    I am not sure :(

Well, I used to make a living out of Digital Point. Although I know thats not your head ache as you reserve the right to decide how your forum should run. Not sure if I will get orders like before.

I know thread bumping and spamming was a common problem, but I really do not believe this should be the answer. Now the BST forum looks all dead. It used to be a useful place (from the buyer's perspective) as I could check all the threads that had good reviews and the better threads usually got more bumps (natural ones) and received more attention.

Choosing a good service provider was fairly easy (Other than earning, I have spent thousands of dollars hiring people from this forum). Today I was kinda frustrated seeing that all of the threads on the first few pages were created by noobs or newbies (putting buyers into more of a risk of being spammed).

Infractions and account deletions used to be a good punishment. The responsible members are all aware of thread bumping policies, and cannot afford to get their accounts deleted. I know the punishment does not seem much to the spammers as they are more interested about hit and go, but what about the fair and honest members??

Also, I believe the spamming should see a new dimension. For instance, if I am a new guy looking to earn some quick bucks spamming, I know BST is a better opprtunity as threads will stay on the first page for quite a long time and since all other posters are noobs too, I will have more than a fair chance against them.

However, I have two suggestions for you to consider, one of which might drastically increase your earning:

1. Increase the number of moderators. The current number is probably too low to handle this large sum of members.
    2. Make BST a paid section. This will drastically reduce the number of spams.

You should give a serious thought about making it a paid section. There will be almost no spammers left. Also, digitalpoint should have a regular income stream, which should amount to at least a few thousands of dollar per month.

So far, I am grateful to digitalpoint. This forum has earned me a lot of money, and I will be more than happy to pay a regular membership fee to have a thread running on that forum.

Again, I repeat. Don't make the honest and good members pay for wrong-dings done by others.

sadekjake, Jul 31, 2009 IP