1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why do you guys demand this?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by cowsgonemadd3, Jul 29, 2009.

1. cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am not being racist but I bet a lot of the spam comes from those countries.

cowsgonemadd3, Jul 30, 2009 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Another idea would be to just close the Marketplace. The Marketplace was originally intended to just keep all that crap out of General Chat and other areas.

digitalpoint, Jul 30, 2009 IP
  3. cowsgonemadd3

Best Answers:
    You would be killing the economy for sure with that one. Do you know how much money trades hands here? I got like 1500-2000 worth of orders this week because of this site possibly.

How about a verification system instead of paying. A new market place but you have to verify somehow. Like people could have to post 500 posts before being able to sell.

4. Karen May Jones

Karen May Jones Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    what?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

PS. this post wont let me write the word what in all caps. what is going on HERE!!!!????

Karen May Jones, Jul 30, 2009 IP
  5. Love*

Love* Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    That would just encourage spamming.

As for paid posts in the marketplace, I can only imagine the chaos that would bring in such a big community.
    Not that members would mind (but not that they won't lol), but that's probably hundreds of transactions each day, I come from another forum with this exact set up (a really small forum at that, nothing close to DP) & almost everyone's PP accounts got locked almost immediately because of too many transactions and Paypal needed to investigate blah blah..
    However, it's fine now & perhaps it was just a one-time thing Paypal needed to do. :)

Having said that, if we were to implement the same thing on this forum, I'm one of those members who will not mind.

Love*, Jul 30, 2009 IP
  6. yo-yo

yo-yo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's your forum and ultimately you decide...

With that said.. years ago DP marketplace was a great way to sell a site or something else quickly and easily.

After coming back and seeing that a new thread is off the first page in a matter of minutes... and with all the rules it's nearly impossible to get back on the front page.. something def. needs to be done for efficiency.

I vote for a small 99 cent listing fee:

1. let's face it.. most of the junk/useless threads are coming from other countries and they are not going to pay unless they have something real and valuable to offer.

2. Removing it completely will see alot of members leave to go eslewhere.

3. "Ebay clone" will not work. Many people are offering services, etc that don't need "bids" or have BIN's..

Pehaps you could even "auction off" the top 10 spots on the first page. Highest bidder gets the top spot.

Then use the money the marketplace generates for more/better mods and less bans ;)

yo-yo, Jul 30, 2009 IP
  7. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Pretty sure money isn't going to buy less bans.

digitalpoint, Jul 30, 2009 IP
  8. campolar

campolar Peon

Best Answers:
    Are you insane?

campolar, Jul 30, 2009 IP
  9. ChrisMiller

ChrisMiller Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I would have to Second that ;) at least make it Paid.. and accept PayPal/AlertPay/MoneyBookers for you can accompany all the users.

ChrisMiller, Jul 30, 2009 IP
    campolar likes this.
  10. campolar

campolar Peon

Best Answers:
    Why don't you do like cowsgonemad3 said? Limit the amount, 25 posts is too less...

campolar, Jul 30, 2009 IP
  11. cowsgonemadd3

Best Answers:
    No I was talking layout wise not suggesting people bid.

Here this layout would be PERFECT I think. All the categories needed. Top places would be a given. Threads could be deleted after a while and people allowed to repost them what once a month?

http://www.getafreelancer.com/

That is the perfect layout.

Another thing. If these users from other countries can come here and accept pay then they can pay a fee.

12. yo-yo

yo-yo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If posts couldn't go in without a listing fee, and there more/paid mods:

a) there wouldn't be nearly as many junk/garbage posts to moderate
    b) more mods to handle the ones that do need it
    c) wouldn't need 7-day bans for the little'st things.. and could reserve them for real problems, and use the infraction system instead. (yes still mad :cool:)

yo-yo, Jul 30, 2009 IP
    jhmattern likes this.
  13. Chuckun

Chuckun Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Why is this discussion even happening?

If people want to search, that's what the search feature is for...

If I want to buy a forum on holiday discussion, I can go to the advanced search, and check the "Sites" forum in BST, with the keywords "Holiday Discussion Forum".

There is no need for an ebay-style listing system.. If you want that, go to sitepoint? But you won't. Because then you have to pay for listings..

Also, you say you make x-amount of money from this forum (and deem it as "a lot" of money..) So why are you complaining? You're obviously doing very well from the BST section.

Just my baffled two PENCE..

Jack

EDIT: Oh, and as far as making the BST a paid listing site, I don't advise it.. Sure it'll cut out spammers, but it'll cut out honest people too. Some people don't have the money sloshing about to spend on listings to make the money they'd have to spend on more listings xD.. >.<

Chuckun, Jul 30, 2009 IP
  14. AaRGeE

AaRGeE Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If you want to make a B/S/T litlle better than please remove the 8 hours Edit/Delete Post limit :p This will make us Edit the Price and Give Discount to buyers with time to time without posting in the thread! + No More Duplicate thread!!

If you want to make a Paid B/S/T .. Than may make it like this!! Make something like "DP Balance" .. where buyers have to add funds to DP balance via CC/Paypal/MB or any other payment method!!! Dont charge high on Listing Fees as some scammers will file disputes after there thread on DP has no use! .. 0.10$ per thread will be a Good Idea .. and If they Want to Bump there thread to top than $0.10 will be charged!!

Or make it like two Types of thread ..

0.10$ Listing Fee but Posting on Thread (By OP and all member) not allowed (Bump Fee 0.05$)
    0.50$ Listing Fee and Posting allowed! (Bump Fee 0.10$)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
    AaRGeE, Jul 30, 2009 IP
  15. Zoomone

Zoomone Guest

Best Answers:
    hmm don't u think turning BST into a paid section will slash the current traffic into half? although i agree it will surely curb the scammers entry, but then can't scammers pay $5 in exchange of 300-400$ they can make stealing here? Making it a paid section will give a chance for other free webmaster forums a free invitation to join the race to the #1 webmaster forum :p , DP mods be ready to deal with 100's of private disputes now ;)

Zoomone, Jul 30, 2009 IP
  16. yo-yo

yo-yo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you can't afford 50 or 99 cents to list something it wasn't worthy to begin with IMO (it's just clutter).

yo-yo, Jul 31, 2009 IP
  17. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Allowing more than an 8 hour edit window just makes it easier for scammers (for bait and switch for example, or to change deadlines if they don't like a winning auction bid, etc.).

jhmattern, Jul 31, 2009 IP
  18. boxieblue

boxieblue Peon

Best Answers:
    this sounds like a nice suggestion :)
    i would rather have you only charge a % of the sales though, instead of an upright listing fee. otherwise what would separate you from other similar forums? (won't name them right now)

sounds nice

that doesn't work so well though. not sure how the vB search function works (at its core) but i never find it churning out satisfactory results

honest sellers won't mind paying a % of their sales if they can be assured that their sales won't be affected by spammers.
    DP BST is becoming more and more like Indian Politics (indians will know what i am talking about)
    there will be a time when the buyers will lose trust from that section completely if spammers take over

exactly my sentiments,campolar :p (sorry Shawn ;) but u can't say u didn't expect that kinda reply)

boxieblue, Jul 31, 2009 IP
  19. tariq1654

tariq1654 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yea, I agree. But at the same time you need to agree that spam comes from all over the world even from your country. Sorry to say so.

Cutting a percentage from sold items can be a good idea than listing. And don't just limit the payment for paypal, as its not worldwide, moneybooker should be added as its available anywhere in the world.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
    tariq1654, Jul 31, 2009 IP
  20. yo-yo

yo-yo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No, because then everyone is still free list all their garbage and never pay anything when it doesn't sell.

And when someone makes a deal in PM for a services, programming, etc.. there's no way to track the sale and take a percentage.

yo-yo, Jul 31, 2009 IP