1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Cash For Clunkers (AKA C.A.R.S)

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by Stroh, Jul 27, 2009.

Slick whoever put that into the war spending bill. What do you think about this program?

I think its too restrictive and has a lot of work that needs to be done with the rules.

Stroh, Jul 27, 2009 IP
    guerilla likes this.
  2. Jackuul

Jackuul Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    We already paid for our cars with the bailouts. We should be able to just go and pickout whichever one we want from the Big Three.

Oh right, all their cars suck.

Jackuul, Jul 27, 2009 IP
    guerilla likes this.
  3. Firegirl

Firegirl Peon

Best Answers:
    I personally don't think taxpayers should be floating the bill for people to upgrade their cars. And from what I've heard, the rules are so restrictive, it's pretty much useless.

The government wasting more and more of my money. It's sad that it doesn't suprise me anymore....

Firegirl, Jul 28, 2009 IP
    guerilla likes this.
  4. Stroh

Stroh Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yep 1 year of insurance + 1 year of ownership (title in your own name).

Who wants to insure a clunker anyawys. :eek: :D

Stroh, Jul 29, 2009 IP
  5. guru-seo

guru-seo Peon

Best Answers:
    Can I trade in my clunker Porsche for a Ferrari?

guru-seo, Jul 30, 2009 IP
  6. Firegirl

Firegirl Peon

Best Answers:
    I've actually been doing a lot of research, even looked up my current ride to see if it was eligible, and I still don't get it.

My 1996 Isuzu Rodeo is eligble under the plan. That's great, except I don't carry any debt and still couldn't afford a NEW car with the discount.

I see what they were trying to do. They were trying to help our crappy auto industry sell all the new cars that people weren't buying by giving them a discount. But, wouldn't they be helping the economy if I could purchase a USED vehicle that still meets the standards to receive a discount? There are MANY used cars that are around 2 years old that still have a great MPG rating. Why can't I buy one of those instead of a NEW car that will lose tons of its value in the first 2 years?

It's just absolutely stupid to me that, if they were really trying to help the economy and the environment, they wouldn't allow the purchase of a USED vehicle. I would totally buy a used Mini if I got a discount....

Firegirl, Jul 30, 2009 IP
  7. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Program good for consumer.
    Program bad for business owner.

Dealers have been fronting the $4500 discount and have lots full of "clunkers" and no "cash" from the Fed.

Mia, Jul 30, 2009 IP
  8. Stroh

Stroh Notable Member

Best Answers:
    last I remember the new car can't exceed $45,000.

Stroh, Aug 1, 2009 IP
  9. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I was listening to the radio today, and they said that Glenn Beck discovered that on Cars.gov when you agree to the privacy disclaimer you will get a screen that says your computer becomes the property of the government, and all contents can be used by official individuals, and foreign governments can access your files as well. I checked the Glenn Beck website, but there is no mention of this specifically. Yet, a bunch of people are blogging about this, as if it's the undisputed truth. Though this appears to be an odd rumor, as the information they claim is on the Cars.gov website, isn't.

I just thought it was strange that they were talking about this on the radio as if it were a fact.:eek:

Rebecca, Aug 2, 2009 IP
  10. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That's a joke right?

GeorgeB., Aug 3, 2009 IP
  11. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Really? People are buying Mercedes, Lexus, and Rover to name a few. These cars are historically a lot more than $45k.

Mia, Aug 3, 2009 IP
  12. Stroh

Stroh Notable Member

Best Answers:
    http://www.cars.gov/faq#category-10
    hmm how weird quotes are messed up :p

Stroh, Aug 3, 2009 IP
  13. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Thanks for that.. Was looking for that on the site earlier and could not find it.

I'd imagine there are creative things dealers and the manufacturers ahve done with incentives to accommodate the sale and purchase of luxury cars that have a higher "sticker" price.

Mia, Aug 3, 2009 IP
  14. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Damnit something needs to be done.

If we don't act soon HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of cars will be sold in America this month alone. Hell, we might even reduce the amount of foreign oil we consume every year by putting more fuel eficient vehicles on the road. :eek:

We need a hero!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
    GeorgeB., Aug 3, 2009 IP
  15. Stroh

Stroh Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Either way, due to the program's warps and junk, it's not worth it. It only helps the rich get richer, and the poor get poorer.

Stroh, Aug 4, 2009 IP
  16. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Ask yourself this question. How much damage does that acid they poor into the engines do to the environment? How much energy will it take to melt down/scrap those cars? How many of these vehicles will sit in a junk yard? How many of these vehicles will be bought and get a transplanted engine?

This is the dumbest idea Obama's admin has ever come up with. This does nothing to reduce our use of fuel (not that we should be reducing it), and it does nothing to make the world a greener place.

Want to make the world greener? Let me keep $4500 of my GREEN at tax time!!!

Mia, Aug 4, 2009 IP
  17. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Hmm... when you grasp at straws for a reason to disagree with anything Obama says or does you eventually become what you despise. Congrats you are now a conservative tree hugger with concerns about global warming. We'll bookmark this for later reference.

Moving on, I request that you go read the details of the plan, then come back and make your commentary. Because your statement above was literally all over the place and demonstrated a clear lack of understanding of what will actually happen to the cars. They'll be scrapped, but some will actually be sold and others will sit in junk yards waiting to be sold? Where did you read that?

It's like you went and read a bunch of conservative blogs and forums, got yourself all riled up and full of misinformed talking points, then formulated a response for this thread.

GeorgeB., Aug 5, 2009 IP
  18. Jackuul

Jackuul Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Cash for clunkers is bunk. It should be "trade in your clunker for a free car - you already paid for it". Unless you go to get a non-American car, in which case its a better idea because frankly, our cars suck.

Jackuul, Aug 5, 2009 IP
  19. Stroh

Stroh Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'm just waiting for all the Pontiacs to be reduced already to get them off the lots. Since Pontiac is being dismantled, should be able to pull 8k off a car ;)

Stroh, Aug 5, 2009 IP
  20. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    GB, try coming back to reality. We're all waiting here for you.

Mia, Aug 6, 2009 IP