1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Mega Marketing Thread.

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by competent123, Jul 29, 2009.

Purpose of this thread is to change the prospective on marketing that many people are having, especially in internet marketing business.

I hope this thread is useful to people.

Ways to Build Buzz about Your New Website

1.: Make your idea unique- is your website really worth visiting even once?

2. If you want your site to grow , (some) of your content HAS to be free. Give them a reason to come back to you

3. Stop writing. Nobody’s going to read all that copy. Think images, not words. And keep it clean and above the fold. How are YOU using video?

4. Harness the power of ITunes. They have AMAZING marketing and reach a LOT of people that might not ever GO to your site. Podcasting – audio or video – is the key to reaching new audiences via web 2.0. How many people’s IPods are YOU on?

5. Use Digg and Delicious. forget Oprah. Digg and Delicious are WAY more powerful (and a LOT less annoying) than her. Also, if someone comes to your website and doesn’t know what Social Bookmarking tool are, forget about it. Let the techies and bloggers who DO know what those buttons mean to use them to spread your message. Stop trying to educate the people who don’t “get” social networking. It’s not your job to convert them. Do people Digg you?

6. Use RSS. This is the PERFECT tool for building your permission asset. How many subscribers do YOU have?

7. Make it easy to share. Include boxes and buttons for link sharing, i.e., “Send this site to a friend” and embeddable HTML tags for videos, playlists and pictures. Are you making your website really, really easy to share?

8. REMEMBER: It’s not how many people come to your site, it’s WHO comes to your site. Eyeballs are overrated. So don’t get caught up in traffic, hits and the like. Are you focusing on the number of eyeballs or the RIGHT eyeballs?

9. People. Find raving fans that have big mouths, market to them and then get out of the way. How many fans do YOU have?

10. Build suspense. Whether you use an ezine, RSS feed or blog, have a countdown during the final month before launch. Build anticipation. For example, you could use a screen shot to drum up interest at the end of each blog post. Does anyone even KNOW about your new website?

11. Humor wins. Think about the last time you said or heard someone say: “Dude, you’ve GOT to check out this website!” More than likely, it’s because somebody, somewhere, was funny. What’s humorous about YOUR site?

12. Get ‘em at hello. Two seconds. That’s about how much time you have to convince someone that your website is worth telling her friends about. So, make sure it passes “The Cubicle Test,” i.e., If somebody walked by her coworker’s workspace, would she stop in tracks and say, “Hey, cool! What website is THAT?”

13. THREE WORDS: Other people’s traffic. What joint ventures are YOU working on?

14. Purpose. Don’t make it a website, make it a destination. Assure that people will actually stick around for more than 60 seconds. Make it community based and interactive through message boards, comments and other social networking tools. Keep the feedback loop constantly flowing. How frequently do people come BACK to your website?

15. Story. Make sure your site has a tab, box or content page that includes “Your Story.” After all, that’s all marketing is: storytelling. Because people don’t remember ads, they remember stories. NOTE: If possible, make “Your Story” a video. Let people see you doing what you do. Let people get to know you as a person, not a professional. What’s YOUR story?

16. User generated content. Enable customers to contribute and participate. Allow them to create their own profiles, accounts and usernames. Create a forum where they can discuss, share and upload their own pictures and videos with other users. They will take ownership of your website as their own and tell everyone they know. How are you giving your visitors a piece of the pie?

17. Simple. Simplicity is better, quicker, easier and most importantly, what customers crave. Could your website be explained to a five year-old?

18. Revisitability. Update new content at LEAST once a week, if not daily. This will bring people back again and again. REMEMBER: Websites are like newspapers – nobody wants to read them if they’re two years old. So, consider embedding a blog into the homepage. It works! If I had to do it again, my website and blog would be the same thing. When was the last time you updated YOUR content?

19. Ask yourself three questions. “What’s remarkable about my website?” “Why would someone come to (and stay at) my website for more than 60 seconds?” “Why would someone tell her friends about my website consistently?” Be honest. Are you evaluating your website objectively?

Types of Value You MUST Deliver

Deliver ADDITIONAL value.
    Because it exceeds customers’ expectations.

Deliver BUZZ-WORTHY value.
    Because people who get talked about get business.

Deliver CONSISTENT value.
    Because consistency is far better than rare moments of greatness.

Deliver DAILY value.
    Because nobody wants to read a newspaper (or a website) that’s two years old.

Deliver DOWNLOADABLE value.
    Because customers need to be able to take you with them.

Deliver UNEXPECTED value.
    Because the most effective way to capture someone’s attention is to b-r-e-a-k her patterns.

Deliver FOCUSED value.
    Because niches = riches.

Deliver LOCAL value.
    Because everybody loves a homeboy.

Deliver MAXIMUM value.
    Because … well, just because.

Deliver ONLINE value.
    Because if you don’t exist on the Internet, you don’t exist.

Deliver PREDICTABLE value.
    Because predictability creates familiarity, which creates trust.

Deliver SOLID value.
    Because content is king.

Deliver SPECIFIC value.
    Because credibility comes from specificity.

Deliver UNARGUABLE value.
    Because customers can’t object to it.

Deliver UNFORGETTABLE value.
    Because being “memorable” isn’t enough.

Deliver UNIQUE value.
    Because being “different” merely means to stand out, while being “unique” means to be THE-ONLY-ONE.

Deliver UNMATCHED value.
    Because the best way to eliminate the competition is to (not) have any.

Deliver WEEKLY value.
    Because branding is about repeated impressions.

Deliver WORLD-CLASS value.
    Because, as Seth Godin says, being average is for losers. Be exceptional or quit.

Deliver WRITTEN value.
    Because writing is the basis of all wealth.

I will add new posts to it according to your comments.

competent123, Jul 29, 2009 IP
    davejug1 likes this.
  2. Tom Thumb

Tom Thumb Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Ye know what. I've read a lot of crap here in my time . Guys who think they have half a clue and putting idiocy to paper ( so to speak) and then making it here with a link elsewhere....

But not this time. Hats off mate , got to hand it to you , I'm bookmarking this one and trying to figure how I can apply it .

I totally agree with the point around joint ventures , I'm all for building partnerships not links for example , I don't email looking to exchange links, a bot could do that happily.

Would love to work with you on something in the near future and if we can help each other all the better !

Thanks again for a great thread!

Tom Thumb, Jul 29, 2009 IP
  3. agentsmith77

agentsmith77 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hey great post man.

Agree with you and all the stuff. Gonna delicious this.

Wanted to add, dedication, persistence and focusing on the prospects. If you don't have a lot of JV's your website would be slow going, so keep an eye on your stats, make sure they are trending upwards. Be persistent about your idea.

Also make sure there's a demand for your website. And get those conversions.

agentsmith77, Jul 29, 2009 IP
  4. giancarlo

giancarlo Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for sharing. It's a very useful thread.

giancarlo, Jul 29, 2009 IP
  5. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
    One of the most important things to keep in mind.

Perry Rose, Jul 29, 2009 IP
  6. Ryan6

Ryan6 Peon

Best Answers:
    Not sure about this one though. Wiki never got where they are today from throwing up images. If you provide valuable content then it will have more chance of being linked back to.

Ryan6, Jul 29, 2009 IP
  7. Ryan6

Ryan6 Peon

Best Answers:
    Important for those that wanna make a quick buck yes, but these 200 word posts aren't gonna do anything special in Google.

Ryan6, Jul 29, 2009 IP
  8. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
    200 word posts? Where did you get that from?

We are talking about not building loooooooong-ass sales pages.

Pictures, along with spurts of short sales copy helps keep many of the readers moving along down the page.

And the world does not revolve around Google.

9. Ryan6

Ryan6 Peon

Best Answers:
    The world might not revolve around Google, but the web does.

Targeted buyers in the affiliate marketing world arise from Google search, that's where the money is. Programs like Google Adsense throw up relevant ads and again the best converting users come from Google search.

If you have a nice article or review, then short and sweet might convert well at this time, but if you want to become an authority in the long term, then thorough content will go a long way. That's why Steve Pavlina's become the authority in personal development, he writes valuable content (thousands of words) and people like that.

People are getting a lot wiser these days to opportunists who are just in it for a quick buck.

Ryan6, Jul 29, 2009 IP
  10. chemicalinck

chemicalinck Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Must say that this is a very good thread. But i gues you should add this info for all newbies into the web world :

People who start off do so either because [a] they read an article about easy money making or they dream about being bill gates.

NO! money making in the online world is as hard (may be even harder ) as that of the real world. Do not get deluded by this.

Nice thread man....please update this with as much info as you can get.

BTW :

A lot of people (including me) still do not know much about social bookmarking. It would be nice if someone where to start a thread or something giving info on how to go about this properly.

chemicalinck, Jul 29, 2009 IP
  11. incomesinternational.com

incomesinternational.com Peon

Best Answers:
    ...and it's also the reason Darren Rowse and Yaro Starak are authorities in the bogging arena. Aside from the podcasts you won't find a post on Yaro's site that is less than 500 words.

Great post and lots of great information but several points I think should be considered and perhaps updated before blindly following.

If I was building a site in a niche that was targeted to PhD's' then I really don't care if a 5 year old could understand the concept. That's not who I'm targeting nor would they be buying anything from that site. On the flip side if I'm building a site targeted towards teens then I'd follow your theory of 'simplicity' and wouldn't be trying to sell them on more mature concepts or using long form copy. The PhD however will want the long copy with lots of supporting information.

You can have all the buzz in the world but if you target the wrong segment then you'll still fail. If your as old as me then you might remember when Coca Cola tried to change their recipe. They built up a huge buzz, massive advertising, sponsorships etc. but at the end of the day they targeted existing customers and tried to convert them. It failed miserably and they dropped the product and dropped millions of dollars. A little while later they realized the mistake and instead of targeting those customers they targeted Pepsi and other cola customers and it was a massive success.

So my best take-away of your entire list is before you do anything, know who your market is. Marketing is more than story telling. In fact a better definition of story telling is 'sales'. Marketing is relationship building. It's about connecting with people who relate to you and your product and the problems it solves.

12. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
    Not as much as you think. There are, God knows how many sites out there with a lot of traffic, and they could care less about Google.

They too know that in this day in age it is overrated.

Besides, if you are concerned so much about Google, a site that does not guarantee that you will land high anyway, you will never make it out there.

You would think, but it is mostly from word of mouth and ads in other sites. (That's how "super affiliates" make their money.)

And if I am going to buy, say, an electronic item, I would go to the local store. if I want a book, I'll go to Amazon, or, again, my local bookstore.

Good ads in other sites, and, word of mouth via the Internet is what grab's people's attention, and then brings them in. Otherwise just about all will just go to their local stores. ... They don't do searches.

But we are both getting off track here.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  13. competent123

competent123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Things you be saying instead of what you say.

1. DON’T SAY: “You’re nuts!”
    DO SAY: “If I had those values, I would agree with you.”

2. DON’T SAY: “Let me give you some advice…”
    DO SAY: “Would you like to hear a suggestion about this?”

3. DON’T SAY: “Wanna talk about it?”
    DO SAY: “Mmm, tough problem…”

4. DON’T SAY: “Here’s what you should do…”
    DO SAY: “You know, if I were in your spot, I think I might (x). Do you think that might work for you?”

5. DON’T SAY: “LA LA LA LA LA! I-CAN’T-HEEEEEAR-YOUUUUUUU!” (Insert index fingers into ears, close eyes and shake head.)
    DO SAY: “You know, you’re raising an important issue, so, let’s talk about that…”

6. DON’T SAY: “Don’t tell me what I don’t understand!”
    DO SAY: “You’re right. I don’t understand. Would you be willing to help me understand?”

7. DON’T SAY: “Man, that sucks!”
    DO SAY: “So, what are you going to do about it?”

8. DON’T SAY: “I don’t want problems, only solutions!”
    DO SAY: “Yes, that is a problem. So, how are we going to resolve it?”

Reasons Your Business Doesn't Really Exist

If you can’t define your product … it doesn’t exist.
    Because a confused mind never buys.

If you don’t have a unique product … it doesn’t exist.
    Because a choice-saturated mind never buys.

If it doesn’t exist on the Internet … it doesn’t exist.
    Not just a web-SITE; a web-PRESENCE. Octopus, not earthworm.

If you can’t Google it … it doesn’t exist.
    What happens when someone googles your name?

If people aren’t talking about your product … it doesn’t exist.
    It’s simple: get noticed = get remembered = get business. Who’s blogging about you?

If you’re not marketing your company DAILY … it doesn’t exist.
    People who “do a little marketing here and there” will “get new customers … here and there.”

If you can’t describe your product eight words or less … it doesn’t exist.
    Customers crave simplicity. Could you explain your idea to a kindergartner?

If you don’t write it down … it doesn’t exist.
    And if you don’t write it down, it never happened. That’s why writing is the basis of all wealth.

If people aren’t retelling your story … it doesn’t exist.
    The only true reason your business will grow is if your existing customers are telling your potential customers about you. Word of mouth is the most honest, most sincere and most authentic form of marketing.

If it can’t be found … it doesn’t exist.
    Even without Google, people still need to be able to contact you. So, if your phone numbers, addresses and emails are out of date, disconnected or no longer in service, you’ve got a problem. Because if they can’t get you, they’ll just pick the next guy on the list.

when it was written it was referring to really long sales pitches, which dont' work out, people go to article sites to read, but people don't come to your site to read, they are there because they believe you have something that they want.( could be anything, a service,entertainment,download)

Having said that , i think the discussions seem to be running in another directions. and Please , try to contribute.

i would have to agree with perry rose a bit, web does not equals Google. it is certainly the largest and the best right now, but remember the old saying, when you reach the top, there is only one way to go > down.

secondly best conversion comes from msn and not google, since people using msn search engines tend to be naive than the ones using google, since google users tend to be a bit advanced in technical knowledge.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2009
    competent123, Jul 29, 2009 IP
  14. famous2313

famous2313 Member

Best Answers:
    very good post man

you gave away alot of value!!

famous2313, Jul 29, 2009 IP
  15. competent123

Best Answers:
    Ways to Help Your Customers Know YOU

1. Post pictures on Flickr.

2. Start a blog, post every day.

3. Upload videos of you and your employees doing what you do.

4. Create a downloadable philosophy card.

5. Participate in online social networking.

6. Start a blog, post every day.

7. Interview yourself on the FAQ page.

8. Create a "demo" video.

9. Show pictures of you outside of work, doing what you love.

10. Talk about your family, dogs, hobbies or anything else that has NOTHING to do with work.

Ways to Make the Mundane Memorable

1. Phone Greeting. Call any of the 1000+ 24-Hour Fitness stores around the world and they’ll answer the phone with, “It’s a great day to get in shape!” What are the very first words out of your mouth when you answer the phone? Something boring like, “Thanks for calling”? Come on. You can do better than that! Have some fun. Say something that reinforces your brand and makes people smile.

2. Phone Goodbye. Take a hint from Disney whose employees (er, cast members) close every phone call with, “Have a magical day!” Or learn a lesson from QuikTrip whose cashiers always say, “Hurry back!” What are the very last words out of your mouth when you hang up the phone? “Have a nice day?”

3. Phone Number. Figure out what word or expression your phone number spells. Instead of digits, use the letters on your marketing materials, business cards and in conversations. Imagine telling a potential customer, “Sure, just give us at a call at 548-LOVE!” Quite memorable, indeed. Go to http://www.phonespell.org/ to find out what your number spells!

4. Entrance. At the Mac store by my office, the familiar Apple logon sound chimes every time you walk in the front door. At The Yetti Bar in Leysin, Switzerland (best burgers in Europe) the door handle looks like a Yetti paw! How could you make your entrance memorable AND reinforce your brand?

5. Computer Kiosk. The portable check-in computers at Jet Blue post revolving greetings like “Howdy!” “What’s up?” and “Welcome!” The Continental kiosks show a hilarious image of a passenger carrying too many bags when you’re prompted for your luggage. Is your computer kiosk that cool?

6. Ticket. When I went to see Transformers, I got a free comic book with my ticket. I told everyone I knew about it. What else could you give YOUR customers with their stubs?

7. Waiting in line. When your line is out the door, what if a manager walked around and introduced himself to every customer? He could take an advanced list of customer needs, offer water bottles and play with impatient children. Sure would make the time go by faster! How do you make your impatient customers feel more welcomed?

8. Waiting for a while. If it looks like your customers are going to be delayed for more than 20 minutes, hold a contest. Reward the winner with a free gift. Keep the contest materials in a box, always ready for an emergency situation. It would be fun, cool, remarkable and ease the pain of the wait. TED Airlines did this while we were in a holding pattern. We had to guess the weight of the aircraft, baggage and passengers included. The winner got a free first class upgrade for a future trip!

9. Waiting room. What if, in your waiting room, you had a TV playing non-stop movies and a popcorn machine to offer snacks while people wait? You could even have a schedule on the wall: “Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays: Comedies. Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays: Dramas.” You could even name it as if it were your own company TV station!

10. Announcements. Southwest Airlines was the first company to actually have fun with their standard PA anncouncements. Instead of saying, “In the event of a water landing,” they say, “Should our flight turn into a cruise liner…” People love it! And they actually listen, too. What’s more, SW has been written up in magazines for this memorable moment! How much fun are you having with your announcements?

Ways to Move Quickly on New Opportunities

1. WRITING things down as soon as you hear them.
    Because if you don’t write it down, it never happened.

2. ASKING yourself, “What’s the next action?”
    Because ultimately, that’s the only question that really matters.

3. LISTING all the steps you need to take to leverage an opportunity.
    Because listing is the quickest, most efficient way to organize all of your thoughts. (Ahem...)

4. GOOGLING various elements of your idea as soon you get it.
    Because you need to find out if someone else is already doing it.

5. ASKING for feedback from smart people right away.
    Because they can ask questions and see things you can’t.

6. REGISTERING domains as soon as you get the name of the idea.
    Because he owns the domain owns the idea.

7. EMAILING someone right away with a action-oriented question.
    Because initiative is attractive.

8. SCANNING your opportunity radar constantly.
    Because now that your mind is fixated, related ideas will be attracted to you.

Ways to Make Your Email More Approachable

1. Make it quick. The speed of the response IS the response. And the medium IS the message. So, even if you don’t have the answer to a question or a problem right away, you can always drop a quick, one-line email that says, “Thanks for letting me know. I’m on it. Call ya this afternoon.”

ASK YOURSELF: Can you respond quicker?

2. Filter. When someone sends you a four-page email loaded with NO line breaks and 48 questions and comments, here’s how to handle it:

a. First, give it a quick once-over.
    b. Next, go back and separate each section or question. (See, to make sure you address all of their concerns, you’ll be turning your reply email into a numbered list.)
    c. Introduce your list with something like, “Thanks for all of your feedback! I’ve written a response to each of your questions below…”
    d. Then, boldface their original thought and write your response underneath. This type of response shows organization AND openness to ALL their ideas.
    e. Finally, close with your signature.

ASK YOURSELF: Are you breaking emails down enough?

3. Summary. Next time you have a detailed conversation with someone over the phone, suggest the following: “Hey Mark, I’ve been taking some notes on our conversation. Would you like me to email you a quick, bullet-point list of all the key points we’ve covered, just to make sure we’re both on the same page?” 99 times out of 100, the person will not only gratefully accept, but also be WOW’ed by your listening ability. Not to mention, you’ll have documentation of the conversation for future reference.

ASK YOURSELF: Are you on the same page as your clients?

4. Email introductions. This is a GREAT practice for bringing two people together that should meet, have something in common or can help each other. A few tips for an effective email introduction are:

a. Give a short background on each person.
    b. Reference your relationship with each person.
    c. Provide phone numbers, websites and email addresses.
    d. Keep it short, casual and friendly.
    e. Stress the idea of they can help each other or that you think they’d get along great.

ASK YOURSELF: What two people do you know who should meet?

5. Frequency. If you’re one of the Brave Souls who sets a boundary to only check your email a few times a day, good for you. Way to (not) be addicted to your Crackberry! Just remember, accessibility is still important. So, in your email signature, consider letting people know about your new emailing-checking schedule. You may also want to include a number where people can either contact you or someone else who can help them in your e-absence.

ASK YOURSELF: Do you (really) need to check your email as SOON as the plane touches down? Come on, folks. Let it go. There's no way you're that important.

6. Fun with From. The “from” line is a PERFECT, yet underused hot spot for the of stamp your personal brand. Let’s say you’re known as “The Tax Law Queen.” Great! Put that instead of . It’s guaranteed to stand out among the hundreds of emails in your recipients’ inboxes, and probably get read first.

ASK YOURSELF: What makes your email stand out?

7. Architecture. The human attention span is about six seconds. First impressions occur in less than two seconds. And people receive hundreds of emails a day. So, if you want people to actually READ your letters, the secret is to make your writing easy, quick, fun, approachable and, most importantly, digestible. I call this architecture. And it’s defined as, “The creative design and page presentation of a piece of writing.” For example:

o Make it bold.
    o Make it a list.
    o Make it italic.
    o Make it chunky.
    o Make it shorter.
    o Make it ALL CAPS.
    o Make it underlined.
    o Make it b-r-o-k-e-n.
    o Make it one word long.
    o Make it one sentence long.
    o Make it centered on the page.
    o Make it bold AND underlined.

Ultimately, if your writing is laborious to get through, readers will just move onto the next email. Besides, people are probably doing three other things while reading your stuff. So, the minute your page presentation starts to bore them, they’ll probably move on.

ASK YOURSELF: 500 emails a day - why would they read yours?

8. Email less often. There’s no need to send piles of emails to your clients, customers and prospects constantly. Once or twice is enough. Any more than that, they’ll either think you don’t trust them, think you don’t have a life or think you’re desperate. (But in all cases, they’ll be annoyed.)

ASK YOURSELF: Do I really need to send another email to this person?

See, whenever someone’s ready to take the next step – to follow up WITH or open up TO you – they’ll do it because THEY want to. Not because you emailed them (again) just to “follow up,” “see if they have any further questions” or “check in to see how it’s coming along.” Easy, Dilbert. They heard you the first time. Have a little faith. When they want you, they’ll find you. Patience.

competent123, Aug 3, 2009 IP
    nellement likes this.
  16. nellement

nellement Active Member

Best Answers:
    Fantastic tips here!!!!

nellement, Aug 4, 2009 IP
  17. emma_paynter

emma_paynter Peon

Best Answers:
    Nice post including some good tips. Thanks a lot.

emma_paynter, Aug 4, 2009 IP
  18. competent123

Best Answers:
    Phrases That Payses for Overly Aggressive or Hostile People

1. You’re right. This phrase allows you to enter into another person’s reality. It shows an open mindness to different opinions and redirects the conversation into a productive direction.

It also acknowledges someone else’s unique point of view. Ultimately, these four results are empathetic and help diffuse emotionally charged individuals.

2. You may be right. Similar to the above example, this phrase diffuses the energy behind someone’s attack AND avoids threatening the attacker. And by giving an impression of active agreement, not passive acquiescence, it avoids adding fuel to the fire.

What’s more, “You may be right” validates a particular part of someone’s argument. Which doesn’t mean you TOTALLY agree with her. But, it does make it easier for the other person to hear your side of the story by way of reciprocation.

3. I agree with you. Similarly, this phrase “agrees with thy adversary quickly,” as the old scripture suggests. It builds common ground on a point of mutual agreement and aligns you with the other person. That way, you’re both on the same side.

Which is how resistance dissipates.
    Which makes moving toward a solution flows a LOT smoother.

4. This seems really important to you. This phrase is especially effective when someone shoots down EVERY idea you suggest. It identifies someone’s motives and challenges them to honesty examine their emotions, which, if they’ve lashed out at you, probably isn’t something they’ve done yet.

5. Wow, you really want to know badly! Similarly, this phrase helps uncover the motivations of someone who seems bit too persistent. Maybe even bordering on pushy.

For example, if a person you’ve just met asks you LOTS of probing questions on the same topic, or constantly asks you the same question over and over again, maybe it’s time to step back and ask why.

6. You must be having a really bad day. Unexpected and empathetic. Demonstrates concern, especially with an irate customer. Also, this phrase assures that you don’t take ownership of the other person’s problem. This ultimately allows them to cool off and approach their situation in a calm, collected manner.

7. I forgive you. When someone is flustered, running late or apologizing profusely, using these three words is almost like a magic tonic. Especially when it’s with a stranger.

See, the peaceful, tender and caring energy of “I forgive you” is incredibly powerful. And, observing the way people respond when you say, “I forgive you” is a GREAT mini-lesson in momentum reversal.

8. Thank you. When someone brings a problem or complaint to your attention, make sure the first words out of your mouth are “Thank you,” and not “I’m sorry.”

“Sorry” is negative and self-blaming, and people say it WAY too often. Especially when they’ve done nothing wrong. So, responding by thanking someone doesn’t mean you’re evading responsibility. If an apology is in order, say it. Just don’t LEAD with it. Instead, after you’ve thanked (aka, honored) the upset person, only THEN say, “I apologize,” or “I’m sorry. You deserve better.”

9. I respect your opinion of my work. If everybody loves your brand, you’re doing something wrong! Likewise, if everybody loves your idea, it’s probably not that good of an idea. So, next time someone expresses a dislike for your work – especially in an attempt to fluster, insult or embarrass you – do three things.

First, pause. Second, breathe and smile. Third, tell the person, “I respect your opinion of my work.” As someone who’s been made fun of A LOT, I can (almost) guarantee you they’ll NEVER see THAT one coming! And as a result, you’ll not only leave them with nowhere to go; but you’ll project an attitude of open mindedness and acceptance. Jerks.

10. Silence. Lastly, sometimes the best way to reverse the momentum of an overly aggressive or hostile person is to say nothing at all. To just shut up and let them vent. See, in many cases, that’s all they WANTED: someone to listen to them. To honor them.

Or, in some cases, that’s all they NEEDED: someone to serve as a sounding board so they could hear how absurd their words actually were! In either case, not responding (at all) to someone’s aggression lowers the temperature of the conversation and allows that person to compose himself.

NOTE: Silence is an extremely challenging approach for both parties. See, we live in a hyperspeed; A.D.D. culture where time is money and the meter has started.

That’s why people are so afraid of silence.

At the same time, however, that’s ALSO why it can be so powerful.

Things to Stop Wasting Your Time On

1. Stop wasting your time … advertising.
    If people always hear FROM you instead of ABOUT you, you’re doing something wrong.

AS OSCAR WILDE SAYS: The only thing worse than being talked about is (not) being talked about.

2. Stop wasting your time … trying, in general.
    If someone uses the word “trying” a lot, he probably ISN’T.

AS YODA SAYS: There is no try. Only do or do not.

3. Stop wasting your time … trying to prove yourself.
    If YOU know you’re good enough, that’s enough.

AS BUDDHA SAYS: He is able who thinks he is able.

4. Stop wasting your time … trying to convince people.
    If they don’t “get it” right away, they probably never will.

AS SETH GODIN SAYS: If you can’t explain it in 8 words or less, it’s not a good idea.

5. Stop wasting your time … trying to be better than the competition.
    If you position your value correctly, you won’t HAVE any competition.

AS SCOTT GINSBERG SAYS: The best way to eliminate the competition is to not have any.

6. Stop wasting your time … dealing with people who can’t sign the check.
    If they’re not the economic buyer, save your breath and move on.

AS ERIC MAISEL SAYS: Playing to the wrong crowd is dangerous.

7. Stop wasting your time … selling to people who just aren’t going to buy.
    If they’re just there to kick tires, that’s cool. Greet them warmly and move on to someone else. They’ll come when they’re ready.

AS SCOTT GINSBERG SAYS: If they want you, they’ll find you.

8. Stop wasting your time … selling to people who don’t know how to value you yet.
    If they’re not ready for you, they don’t deserve you.

AS DAVID ALLEN SAYS: Saying NO to the wrong person leads to saying YES to the right person.

9. Stop wasting your time … following up with people who never, ever call you back.
    If they wanted you, they would have hired you already. You can only call so many times.

AS LAO TZU SAYS: Any over determined behavior produces its opposite.

10. Stop wasting your time … making people happy who aren’t in your target market.
    If they’re not your ideal customer, who cares if they don’t like you?

AS MY DAD SAYS: Focus on pleasing the people who PAY.

11. Stop wasting your time … sending prospects your hideous brochures and literature.
    If they get it, they will immediately store it in the circular file cabinet.

AS JEFFREY GITOMER SAYS: Your literature is puke!

Want to see a demo of a site, on which i use 2 of these tips? , can you find out which tips are those?

http://funnyvideos.1441.org

If you like this thread please bookmark it ( in social networking) also, if you have some spare space in your signature, please put it there and pm me, i'll send you a few addition NOT TO BE PUBLISHED tips.

competent123, Aug 5, 2009 IP
  19. competent123

Best Answers:
    1. Don’t listen to people who … have no idea what the hell they’re talking about
    2. Don’t listen to people who … try to destroy your dreams.
    3. Don’t listen to people who … tell you what’s right or wrong.
    4. Don’t listen to people who … tell you what to believe.
    5. Don’t listen to people who … have nothing else to whine about
    6. Don’t listen to people who … think they know what you need.
    7. Don’t listen to people who … say you’re making them look bad.
    8. Don’t listen to people who … nastily try to induce insecurity in others.
    9. Don’t listen to people who … tell you that you can’t make it in this business.
    10. Don’t listen to people who … who’s imagination can’t encompass what it is that you want to do.
    11. Don’t listen to people who … claim “their way” is “thee way.”
    12. Don’t listen to people who … haven’t done anything themselves.
    13. Don’t listen to people who … cannot prove that they have done what you are trying to do.
    14. Don’t listen to people who … who put a damper on your natural versatility.
    15. Don’t listen to people who … who give uneducated and bad reviews.
    16. Don’t listen to people who … who say that studying and learning isn't cool.
    17. Don’t listen to people who … who aren't qualified to advise you.
    18. Don’t listen to people who … don’t listen to you.
    19. Don’t listen to people who … don’t listen to themselves.
    20. Don’t listen to people who … say, “You can't do that, get an education!”
    21. Don’t listen to people who … say (insert group of people) are ALL like that.
    22. Don’t listen to people who … tell you to change what you’re doing.
    23. Don’t listen to people who … tell you the market is saturated.
    24. Don’t listen to people who … think it’ll never work.
    25. Don’t listen to people who … think you’re out of your mind.
    26. Don’t listen to people who … say that manga is a useless hobby.
    27. Don’t listen to people who … believe there are “only two kinds of people in the world.”
    28. Don’t listen to people who … are TELLING you, aggressively, that everything is normal.
    29. Don’t listen to people who … claim they’re “not” racist, sexist, homophobic, whatever. If you have to tell people you are, then you probably aren’t. And if you have to tell people you aren’t, then you probably are.
    30. Don’t listen to people who … put you down and try to force you into dead-end roles.
    31. Don’t listen to people who … are overwhelmed with jealousy.
    32. Don’t listen to people who … tell you that you have to buy a certain kind of suit.
    33. Don’t listen to people who … haven’t been right about shit in years.
    34. Don’t listen to people who … want to put you down because your passion and enthusiasm scares them.
    35. Don’t listen to people who … say you should've bought a bigger one.
    36. Don’t listen to people who … think they get paid to make your mind up for you.
    37. Don’t listen to people who … state their opinion as if it were fact.
    38. Don’t listen to people who … think you're geeky because you ride a recumbent.
    39. Don’t listen to people who … use their own personal values to censor other people.
    40. Don’t listen to people who … say young people offer no hope for our future.
    41. Don’t listen to people who … bare long term grudges on new companies.
    42. Don’t listen to people who … say what you do is strange or too eclectic.
    43. Don’t listen to people who … criticize you no matter what you do.
    44. Don’t listen to people who … require you to read a library before they even want to hear your thoughts.
    45. Don’t listen to people who … are just after your money.
    46. Don’t listen to people who … are just after your time.
    47. Don’t listen to people who … are just after your brain (ahem, aliens).
    48. Don’t listen to people who … tell you that you won’t make it in this field because it’s too competitive.
    49. Don’t listen to people who … who stereotype your school.
    50. Don’t listen to people who … try to stress you out.
    51. Don’t listen to people who … have nothing but compliments for you.
    52. Don’t listen to people who … have nothing but insults for you.
    53. Don’t listen to people who … offer you "friendly advice" solely to make you feel insecure.
    54. Don’t listen to people who … persuade you to install another piece of software that won't do more than just occupy precious space in your hard drive.
    55. Don’t listen to people who … ridicule, spit venom or demean.
    56. Don’t listen to people who … tell you not to do something because they don't think you are capable.
    57. Don’t listen to people who … tell you what you can and can’t do with your body (unless it’s your Doctor)
    58. Don’t listen to people who … instruct you which foods you can and can’t eat (unless it’s your Doctor)
    59. Don’t listen to people who … say what you're doing will be "too hard."
    60. Don’t listen to people who … say the signing of Hakeem Olajuwon was the reason for the Raptors' downfall.
    61. Don’t listen to people who … tell you "if you don't go now, you'll never go.”
    62. Don’t listen to people who … scream at or insult others for a living.
    63. Don’t listen to people who … don’t respect their customers.
    64. Don’t listen to people who … seek to silence your conscience.
    65. Don’t listen to people who … went somewhere once and think they know everything about it.
    66. Don’t listen to people who … dismiss your work as uninteresting or unimportant.
    67. Don’t listen to people who … tell you to stop singing so loud.
    68. Don’t listen to people who … shovel smoke for a living.
    69. Don’t listen to people who … lie.
    70. Don’t listen to people who … say something sucks when THEY just don’t like it.
    71. Don’t listen to people who … say there’s nothing you can do about it.
    72. Don’t listen to people who … don’t think that “Afternoon Delight” is the greatest song ever.
    73. Don’t listen to people who … claim that you ONLY have to work smart.
    74. Don’t listen to people who … say it’s just dumb luck.
    75. Don’t listen to people who … aren’t listening, they’re just waiting to talk.
    76. Don’t listen to people who … answer with the lies they tell themselves.
    77. Don’t listen to people who … say you can't make money from fishing.
    78. Don’t listen to people who … want to hide in the background.
    79. Don’t listen to people who … try to steer your life.
    80. Don’t listen to people who … tell you to pick up your rabbit by the ears.
    81. Don’t listen to people who … try to pass the buck to others.
    82. Don’t listen to people who … tell you that the Brunswick Total Inferno Bowling Ball is too much for you.
    83. Don’t listen to people who … have so much anger and hate in them.
    84. Don’t listen to people who … say you can get rich by putting a link on their site because of all the traffic they receive.
    85. Don’t listen to people who … tell you how cool they are.
    86. Don’t listen to people who … never worked in food service before.
    87. Don’t listen to people who … say they studied for a weekend and passed.
    88. Don’t listen to people who … go to restaurants and order a dish because the name of the restaurant is in the name of the dish.
    89. Don’t listen to people who … say that starving yourself is a good idea as long as it is done in a routine way.
    90. Don’t listen to people who … mock you for trying.
    91. Don’t listen to people who … can't even get their basic facts straight.
    92. Don’t listen to people who … want to lump the law on you again.
    93. Don’t listen to people who … tell you that there is nothing wrong with you and that you have no reason to be depressed.
    94. Don’t listen to people who … tell you that REAL filmmakers never zoom.
    95. Don’t listen to people who … tell you this race is over
    96. Don’t listen to people who … say you’re too young.
    97. Don’t listen to people who … baulk at making cheesecake in a pressure cooker.
    98. Don’t listen to people who … only offer anecdotes of their own situation.
    99. Don’t listen to people who … abuse.

And last (but not least)...

100. Don’t listen to people who … make absurdly long lists telling you what types of people not to listen to. Instead, make your own ?

competent123, Jan 29, 2010 IP
  20. kingsoflegend

kingsoflegend Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Nice spam post.

kingsoflegend, Jan 29, 2010 IP