1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is that possible?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by DP Most, Jul 18, 2009.

1. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    There is no list, just groupings of site suggestions scattered throughout the Directory within categories, and half of them need to be moved to the correct categories (or deleted as unsuitable). :)

That's not what I'd call a list.

crowbar, Jul 27, 2009 IP
  2. pcz

pcz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    hey that's a poker site :)

pcz, Jul 27, 2009 IP
  3. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    This has all been explained so many times it seems incredible to have to spell it out again, so I apologise for the repetition. For those who do not yet understand, here is a simple explanation, but you can read much more detail in a post in the official ODP blog.

Suggested websites join a collection (sometimes called a "pool") where editors can go to look for suitable sites if they wish to.
    And if they decide to look at the collection, they are free to review any suggestion from that collection.

If it were a "queue" there would be a requirement to view them in some sort of order, but there isn't.
    Volunteers are not required to view them at all, let alone in any order.​

makrhod, Jul 27, 2009 IP
  4. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Therefore if you don't want your site being listed or not be dependent on some volunteer whim, send your suggestion through paypal if you really want to be listed. :rolleyes::D

gworld, Jul 27, 2009 IP
  5. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm surprised you bother to keep posting here, gworld, because you have ignored requests from many people to name even ONE of the sites you have repeatedly accused me personally of listing abusively.
    Unless and until you can do that very simple thing, why on earth would anyone believe anything you say?

makrhod, Jul 27, 2009 IP
  6. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It might be a very big surprise for you because of your self importance that you feel about yourself for being a DMOZ editor but I don't give a damn about what you think or your request. ;)
    If you look at the posts in this forum, it seems people who are not blind, crook or stupid belive what I say. :)

gworld, Jul 27, 2009 IP
  7. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    *sigh*

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE change the wording in the ODP documentation to reflect the recent changes in common use terms (and dictionary definitions).

If I search for "groupings of site suggestions" will I find a link to ODP discussions other then this one? Why not use a shorter term that actually fits well... I think the term QUEUE could work. So could LIST :rolleyes:

What is the new words we should use for the following:

• Listing
    • Queue
    • Site approval
    • Service
    • Directory
    There are others that have changed, but lets just start with those...

Qryztufre, Jul 28, 2009 IP
  8. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    Well Directory and Listing don't need to be changed, those are pretty obvious. The Directory is made up of listings that we've organized to suit the Directory's needs.

Site approval is something I would change to Site Addition, but that's kind of clumsy sounding. Editors don't really approve sites as much as they find sites from a variety of resources, one of which is the suggested sites the public send to us, and add them to the category they edit. Others, we can't use and delete. (which is an action)

Service would be a correct word because we serve the information seeker. But you all interpret it as Listing Service, which it is not.

Parsing words isn't as important as listening to the editors who do the work try to explain things. We have no reason to lie.

crowbar, Jul 28, 2009 IP
  9. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Well, i guess that is true... you stand behind "confidentiality guidelines" ;)

Qryztufre, Jul 28, 2009 IP
  10. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    Well yes, there are those, but since the Directory started the blog, I feel a little less paranoid about where that line is, and more relaxed about what I say. Either that, or I know subconsciously what can be said or not said.

There really aren't any "big secrets", just internal things that I have no right to reveal.

crowbar, Jul 29, 2009 IP
  11. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    As we have repeatedly explained, you will need to direct your (very reasonable) requests to AOL, as only they (and the Admins) have access to the documentation. Annoying but true.

makrhod, Jul 29, 2009 IP