1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Need clarification on Social Networks in rules

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by sarah_harvey, Jul 28, 2009.

In your rules it states that a person isn't allowed to sell, buy or exchange services as far as social networks are considered. That includes Twitter etc.

So if someone created a Squidoo lens...does this fall under that rule?

I am not going to do something stupid like offering my time, and effort writing articles and creating modules for Squidoo only to find my account banned. So if someone would be so kind as to let me know.

So short and simple...can I offer squidoo content creation services including advertising the squidoo lens via other web 2.0 properties?

A simple yes or no is appreciated.

---> Edit... I just saw a thread where someone got banned for using the word 'lol' in a sentence when he was answering someone. Just to find out here too before I get banned for that too... why was that done? I use the word 'lol' in lots of sentences as just a way of expressing laughter at something or just an expression in general. Wow...being an anime fan everyone I talk to online in the anime industry uses expressions and now I find I can get banned for it...

So if I say the following in response to someone:

"No, you need to do the following.... lol...don't make the mistake of doing this though...etc."

Are you telling me I will get banned for the above sentence?

Gosh... I never realised this and to be honest I don't want to get banned so let me know. I do find it riduclous though and if anyone thinks that 'lol' just stands for when someone laughs, you are mistaken. It is such a common expression nowadays in communities and in conversations that it is the norm.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
    sarah_harvey, Jul 28, 2009 IP
    Radz likes this.
  2. Karen May Jones

Karen May Jones Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    They were not banned for THAT. Actually the dude was confused. He got a reputation vote over in general chat.... it was not an infraction at all. But, then... he started being pissy about it, accusing forum leaders of this n that - and winded up pissing off the supervisors. LOLOLOLOL :)

As for the squid stuff, I've no direct answer for that.

Karen May Jones, Jul 28, 2009 IP
  3. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    1. Don't take everything member's say as the gospel truth when they're whining about bans and infractions. More often then not, they're full of shit, spewing lies about infractions they didn't even get or the reasons for them just to try to play the sympathy card.

2. If you're basically just writing the articles, you can post in content creation.

3. If you're offering ratings, submissions of that lens to SU, Digg, etc., then you may not advertise it here.

jhmattern, Jul 28, 2009 IP
  4. sarah_harvey

sarah_harvey Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hey there,

A squidoo lens creation service would entail the following as far as I know... not that I have done it yet, but have been observing others...

You write an article with 500 words or more, and then go on to create the lens with the modules and everything for the person. Then as an added bonus people take that lens and submit it to squidoo directories, and any other websites that will basically help promote the squidoo lens. In essence I am not talking about rating the lens... or anything like that. But if I wanted to create a free blog account, a hub page, and use any other sites that require me to submit content that links to the original squidoo page...would that be okay. I am not offering ratings and not offering dig or stumbles or anything like that. Basically use of other web 2.0 sites that would link back to the squidoo lens as well. That will include a custom twitter account or facebook account set-up at the request of the client if they don't have one and create content for that as well. So let me know.

sarah_harvey, Jul 28, 2009 IP
  5. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    From that description, I'd say no. It involves too many services related to social media sites, which aren't allowed. One of the reasons we don't allow those services is specifically to stop people from selling those kinds of links (which are on 3rd party sites they have little to no real control over - like adding links to wikis, knowing they may very well be removed). It sounds like social media link building would be a significant part of the service. Content creation should be ok. Further social media services for promotion would not be.

That's not to say you can't link to something offsite in your sig where you offer those services - just not able to start threads offering them.

jhmattern, Jul 28, 2009 IP