1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Does a DMOZ listing in any way affect your google SERPs?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by JackR, Feb 20, 2006.

1. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    And who uses DMOZ to look up anything? Editors and their friends, if they have any.

A listing in DMOZ has the same value of a link on any other equivalent PR page with the same number of outgoing links including all navigation links. Period. No more and no less. There is nothinbg special about a DMOZ link.

This is nothing new. This has been known and repeatedly stated publicly by Google for a long time:

SEO article in Newsweek

In comments:

Lightning Round!

I’m on debunking duty
    Matt Cutts
    December 8, 2006

In comments:

minstrel, Jul 27, 2009 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.
  2. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks Minstrel
    Thats a statement of the obvious, and agrees with what I said. I didnt suggest some magical boost because it is dmoz, I only refuted Qs ridiculous statement that indicates there's is no evidence the link has value. There is value in a high PR backlink from a directory that has thus far dodged Googles wrath. There are others, ODP is not unique in that respect.

Still, congrats on successfully disproving a thesis I never even suggested. You have a talent for the unnecessary, but at least you arent claiming (as Q did) that there is no evidence quality backlinks have value.

------
    And to Dear Little Qryztufre
    Give it up sweetpea... the point has never been which error message got your dead site pulled... the point is that it was dead when checked. No directory posts a 24 hour guard when finding a dead site... they toss it into unrev or delete. Yours went in unrev.

If you'd actually added sites when there you'd know that, but you were content once you added your own and literally one handful of others. Aside from that, you largely just tweaked your own listing. You are a prime example of the self-serving editors you bitch about. Projection?

Now If you're thru trying to wiggle free and misdirect the argument, explain why you dont want your site removed if your statement is true that the link has no value. Minstrel already backed up my point as will anyone that understands directories and SEs. Suggesting it doesnt change PR doesnt have a thing to do with SERPs. You havent a leg left to stand on. :)

robjones, Jul 27, 2009 IP
  3. minstrel

Best Answers:

Thank you. I wish I could return the compliment but to date I haven't been able to discern any talent in you whatsoever, not even as a troll.

You might want to read the rest of my post. The value of a DMOZ link is:

{PR of the DMOZ page} * .85 / {total # outgoing links on the DMOZ page}

where .85 represents the estimated dampening factor for passing PR in a given link.

Since

1. any given DMOZ page typically contains many outgoing links plus internal navigation links which are also counted as outgoing links; and

2. any given DMOZ page typically has low PR to begin with.

the PR value of that link is typically very low indeed. You'd be further ahead with a link from any other equivalent PR page with fewer outgoing links.

3. Beyond the PR value of a DMOZ link (which is typically very limited), there is no additional value whatsoever to that DMOZ link, notwithstanding claims to the contrary by the inflated egos of certain DMOZ editors. It's not a "quality" link. It's merely another link.

4. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    For starters I'm not a dmoz editor... I'm an ex as of Jan 2008. I don't give a rats petoot one way or the other... I just provide a little balanced non-BS perspective to this forum since some editors seems to go a bit too far one way and some trolls the other. I know very well that dmoz is just a directory backlink and doesnt exceed the value of other directory backlinks of similar nature. I havent said otherwise. Sorry bud, but defeating an argument I havent offered only wastes your time and mine.

btw - Thanks for the unsigned red. Returned it (signed) you little chickenshit. LOL. :)

5. minstrel

Best Answers:
    You're still missing the point (not surprisingly based on your posting record): Directory links in general have very limited value for SEO. And DMOZ is no better in that respect than thousands of other general web directories.

Charming to the end.

6. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry if you have a reading disability, but at no point did I indicate it has more value than a similar backlink on another directory... I have made that same point often.

People get waaay too excited about wasting effort getting a link in Dmoz IMO... they spend valuable time worrying about it when there are others they could get much easier. They lose perspective because it is "free" and forget their time spent chasing the free link could be better spent.

As for "charming to the end"... never claimed to be charming, either. Oh well, at least I'm not just a bitter troll. Have a nice day. :)

7. minstrel

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure whether you're being deliberately obtuse or if that's just the natural state for you.

I'll try one more time with different words and different visuals: It is not just that DMOZ is of no more value than any other directory, although that is true. It is that you will generally derive better ROI from an SEO standpoint from acquiring links from sites which are not directories at all.

8. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Ummm, my degree is in Finance, not Head-shrinking... so I find an ROI reference in relation to a free link cute. Stick with something you understand, leave finance terms to someone else. :)

But yes, there are many ways to boost SERPs on a website... my guess is the reason directories are being discussed instead of others is because we're in a subfora of the Directories forum. Call it a hunch.

Regardless, I'm not in the thread to tout directories as the one-and-only-true-way of SEM, only killing the misinfo Q passed out suggesting they have ZERO value. They are like a golf club in a bag... you need to know how to use all of them to do the job right.

If you prefer to suggest others omit this particular means that's your call to make... but they might notice that you have a dmoz link, which means like Q you can conveniently discount the value to others while achieving any available benefit from it personally.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
    discover likes this.
  9. minstrel

Best Answers:
    I used the term referring to investment of time and effort which, as someone who claims to have a degree in Finance should know, has monetary value.

I'm sorry if that was over your head. I'll try to make an effort to use simpler terms in future so you don't get confused again.

10. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Ummm, that would only support my what I'd already said about people investing too much time chasing a free link.
    Do you have any original material, or will you continue rephrasing my points while pretending it's a fresh argument refuting something I've said?

Oh well, guess it's more helpful than your habit of shooting down arguments that were never made. LOL. What a little troll. :)

11. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Would you mind if I used this comment from you with students as a perfect example of projection?

lowster11 likes this.
  12. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    LOL. Knock yoiurself (sic) out. Any student of yours is no doubt long accustomed to being misinformed anyway. :)

syted likes this.
  13. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I NEVER denied my site was down, look at your quote from me from that other thread. In fact, in nearly every instance I said it was down, I even edited my post in this thread to clarify. What I do deny was the 404 status.

Learn your errors, and then when you claim it was in an error state, give the correct one. That's ALL I've asked.

Sure, that's the case :rolleyes: Can't attack the post, go on, attack the poster! That is all you are doing. Did I list my own site? Sure, do I go about other editors listing their own sites? No, unless ya count Topix, but then only because the 10K pages from there were NOT added by a human.

So projecting what? There is nothing wrong with me listing my own site, if there was, it would have been removed LOOOOONG before now don't ya think?

All I am saying is that it seemingly had no effect on MY site. My site was PR3 before it was added, and PR3 for a year after it was added.

A link is a link, and that is all the ODP is...

Though, who in all this is actually trying to misdirect? It really seems you have a greater interest in talking about me (or more recently minstrel), then the topic at hand.

Qryztufre, Jul 27, 2009 IP
  14. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Again... the topic is SERPs, not Page Rank. Try to keep up. They aren't the same. If you do not understand the difference, please learn it. Helps to understand before trying to teach. :)

And also again... you cant have it both ways. You screamed like a stuck hog when your site was temporarily out of Dmoz, but in this thread stated there is NO evidence a Dmoz link has value.
    Pick a position, you're vaccilating between two that cannot coexist in the same reality. While looking up SERPs, look up "mutually exclusive".

15. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    I see you didn't mention my page being 404ed in this post, I guess we are even ;)
    I said "there is no evidence that a DMOZ listing does anything. " and in relation to SERP, I stand buy it.

DMOZ offers nothing more then any other directory link, and at the moment there is little to no evidence that ANY directory effects SERP what so ever. Does that mean that directory links are completely worthless?

I've actually gotten a visitor from 3 directories that were not seemingly bots or editors, in the future, should I get one from DMOZ, then I'll be happy my link is there. IS that going to effect my SERP? Only if that visitor later posts my site on his/her blog or on some forum....

So why can't I maintain that DMOZ is not doing anything for my SERP and hold that it's value is on par with any other directory?

Qryztufre, Jul 27, 2009 IP
  16. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Your info is at odds with knowledgeable people in the industry (and results I've seen demonstrated, see earlier post)... but then you've spent half a thread titled "Does a DMOZ listing in any way affect your google SERPs?" telling us about your Pagerank, so why should you bother sounding smarter now? :p

Still waiting for you to back your BS statement with action: Take the Challenge
    Since that link is so bereft of value you don't really need it. Your new story that you want it for potential direct visitors {sneeze*bullshit*sneeze} is at odds with what you've stated before (and you know it). I won't bother looking it up... correcting your conflicting statements would be a full time job.

17. Qryztufre

Best Answers:

Last time Rob... I've TAKEN THE CHALLENGE. Or can't you comprehend that? My site did NOT change in SERP from getting a listing within the ODP. My rankings for various keywords has remained pretty constant before and after my DMOZ listing. The ONLY thing you are trying to do is to get me to ask that my link be removed. It really seems you are just upset that my site was put back into the directory after you removed it.

The ODP is not a listing service and it's descriptions and title are not up to the submitter. The best I could truly hope for in the way of SERP would be to have my main keywords as part of my site name, which they are not. My site is listed under the words OCCULT CORPUS, which are certainly not the best of keywords to raise in the ranks with... I've gotten #1 for those keywords since a month after my site was put up, and at that time the ODP was actually crashed. Three months after my site was started I was getting the second slot for OCCULT FORUM, and at that time the ODP was still pretty much down for the count. That was back in what, 2006? I'm still getting pretty much the same SERP for those terms.

So tell me how I've not taken the challenge.

I've been there & done that... I've given my take on it and have even gone above and beyond the original question and included for Google information (PR).

Minstrel has given additional links that are backing up my story, yet you are still insisting that I ask my site to be removed. To me it's sounding like a personal issue between me and you rather then an issue of SERP.

If you are so concerned as to whether or not being REMOVED will effect SERP, then test that with your own site and start a new thread on it....this thread is about being listed and it's effect on SERP.

Qryztufre, Jul 28, 2009 IP
  18. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Getting a little testy there junior? :p

OK, so despite your bullshit claim "there is no evidence that a DMOZ listing does anything" ...
    -- you DO feel a need to have a listing there
    -- you DO have a listing there for two sites
    -- you wouldn't give 'em up even to support your own argument that they're worthless
    That answers the OPs question. Your actions drown out your words.

btw - I see I finally taught you that this thread is about SERPs, not PR, and that they aren't synonymous. Who said DP isnt educational?

robjones, Jul 28, 2009 IP
  19. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    It's as valuable as any other directory listing...

More then two sites, and I have suggested other sites that are not mine that have made it in.

I've supported my claim by getting my sites listed. Why should I have to bother proving it again?

By not proving it twice?

have you learned the difference between a 500 error and a 404?

I'm done with this, I've given proof once, and now we've gone pages with me not wanting to prove it a second time.

Qryztufre, Jul 28, 2009 IP
  20. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Ummm... the point remains... having them there and claiming there is no evidence they have value means zip if you arent willing to agree to having them removed. Thats apparent to everyone (ok, except possibly you). Bottom line, you make claims you aren't willing to back with action. That's why the only thing really worthless is your advice.

Thank you for playing. :)

robjones, Jul 28, 2009 IP