1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Help with webpage not loading correctly

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Kylven, Sep 3, 2008.

Hello Everyone,

I’m curious why my blog is all of a sudden not loading the white background behind the text, and the navigation bars appear all out of whack. It doesn’t happen all the time, but more often using Mozilla FireFox. I’ve been examining the error logs both in FireFox and Internet Explorer, but I’m not sure where the problem lies. I wonder if it is even server-side. Could a few of you take a look at the Computer Security Blog in my Sig using as many browsers as you can and let me know if it loads correctly? All help is appreciated.

Kylven, Sep 3, 2008 IP
  2. xira

xira Active Member

Best Answers:
    xira, Sep 3, 2008 IP
  3. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    I use NoScript when I browse the web in FF. When I first went to your site, no problems. As soon as I allowed scripts to run, then the problems began.

You have 11 javascript calls, totaling 50k. There is a delay when processing the script calls and before the page renders the background that causes this phenomenon. If any of the external server scripts (chitika, widgetbucks, addthis, feedburner, digg or qksz) hangs on the other end, it will hang your page up from rendering the background as well.

I suggest that you analyze each script and get rid of the any that you really do not need. Also, examine your status bar when the page loads and look at which script call is slowing you down. I noticed that a call was made to yecml.net and it took a while for that server to respond. Ezinearticle data seemed to slow down the process too, but yecml.net was the biggest culprit.

Dodger, Sep 3, 2008 IP
  4. Kylven

Kylven Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you both for taking a look.

I removed a plugin that used a script to generate the archives and instead used the default archives widget for Wordpress. That actually made a decent difference.

The other scripts aren’t of primary concern, but add to the overall site. However, if yecml.net seems to be kink in the armor, I’ll remove it. Do you happen to know what yecml.net is? I can’t find that url in the source code anywhere, nor is there much information when doing a google search.

Kylven, Sep 3, 2008 IP
  5. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    That should be yceml.net ... my mistake. It is part of Commission Junction, and I believe it is getting called from one of the external scripts. Which one, do not know.

Dodger, Sep 3, 2008 IP
  6. RoninEMS

RoninEMS Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the answer, I just noticed the same and googled the domain. Your answer was first in the list. I have a CJ link on my page.

RoninEMS, Jul 25, 2009 IP