1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why are so many who submit to directories not very bright?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Agent000, Jul 25, 2009.

I have a focused niche directory. 99.9% of the submissions are not even close to being related to the niche. Yet in what submitters agree to when they submit is that their site is related to the niche. Not very intelligent are they?

And even if it was not a niche directory, 99.5% of the sites submitted are rubbish and the descriptions would not be close to meeting the guidelines of most general directories. As these links are given freely, why bother accepting them? Not very intelligent are they?

Agent000, Jul 25, 2009 IP
  2. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    They are not actually agreeing to anything ;) its unlikely that they will read any guidelines in place.

pipes, Jul 25, 2009 IP
  3. discover

discover Notable Member

Best Answers:
    a lot of submissions are made by automated scripts so they don't even get to look at your site never mind read guidelines

discover, Jul 25, 2009 IP
  4. pctec

pctec Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I run a dozen sites that deal with digital content... I get a fairly high number of people who do not understand what they are buying simply because they do not read my sites.

So why should site submitters be any different?

pctec, Jul 25, 2009 IP
    pipes and kanwarjot like this.
  5. NaNar

NaNar Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I think most of these 'submitters' are just trying to make their quota. I have a Health only article directory and 9.5 out of 10 are not health related and the rules are right above their first entry box...it's very annoying.

NaNar, Jul 25, 2009 IP
  6. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Yes thats what i was going to say...

Alot of that problem is that the PHP submit page is identical on all directories
    so its very easy with an automated script.. EX: whatever.org/submit.php

thx
    M1

malcolm1, Jul 25, 2009 IP
  7. NaNar

NaNar Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Very true, recently I was using a domain I use only for testing things, was making a free template to use with PHPLD (free), and all of a sudden I was getting 100's of submissions per day. They were bypassing captcha and payment....this site was not ever announced anywhere and was not to be used for a real directory. I just changed the submit.php to a made up php file and it stopped ;)

NaNar, Jul 25, 2009 IP
  8. kanwarjot

kanwarjot Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thank God I don't own any directory yet:p
    But seriously, people don't read any guidelines, I was checking my sites report once and found that in many of the directories health links were submitted in travel category and even the directory editor had approved them

kanwarjot, Jul 25, 2009 IP
    pctec likes this.
  9. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Its well known that people tend to scan while on a website, unless something is really interesting then their eyes are usually jumping from one area to another.

Best you can aim for is to keep guidelines short, to the point, not too many of them and emphasizing anything really important.

I know, i know, they still ignore that :) theres only so much you can do i guess, everyones always in such a hurry.

pipes, Jul 25, 2009 IP
    pctec likes this.
  10. CanadianEh

CanadianEh Notable Member

Best Answers:
    So some spammers must make up a list of directories by spidering the web for submit.php. When it is all automated they don't care how many irrelevant sites they submit to.

CanadianEh, Jul 25, 2009 IP
  11. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:

Correct the spam is not to try and slip in submissions without paying but to annoy the owner and its super easy when everyones ending is submit.php.

laterz
    malcolm

malcolm1, Jul 25, 2009 IP
  12. Ibn Juferi

Ibn Juferi Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I've been getting this problem for my niche directories too. You can't imagine the rubbish I am getting. I just delete them at the end of every week.

Ibn Juferi, Jul 25, 2009 IP
  13. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I think that is the point I am making. A free link is being offered; they are being disrespectful by not complying with the guidelines and ruining it for all. No wonder so many potentially good directories get abandoned.

Agent000, Jul 25, 2009 IP
  14. Nima

Nima Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    because half o them are bots and the other half morons.

Nima, Jul 27, 2009 IP