1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Keyword Density

Discussion in 'Keywords' started by Diablos, Aug 2, 2006.

I have seen so many different figures regarding keyowrd density that I am confused on the topic.
    I know its impossible to state a direct figure but what kind of keyword density do you guys operate on?
    This is especially relating to Google penalisation, which I do not want.

Diablos, Aug 2, 2006 IP
  2. Michael

Michael Raider

Best Answers:
    Keyword density is not a phrase or even a concept that is used by search engineers at Google, Yahoo, MSN etc.

The importance of a keyword or a keyphrase on a page for any given query depends on the content in which the term is used not on keyword density or frequency counts.

Search engines use term vector models but unless you are good at maths you can forget about that as well. If you do want to learn more about it here is a 101 on the Vector Model. Here is Krishna Bharat's (principal scientist at Google) Term Vector Database paper. Here is Dr. Garcia explaining why "...SEOs/SEMs that spend their time adjusting keyword density values, going after keyword weight tricks or buying the latest "keyword density analyzer" are wasting their time and money" Term Vector Theory. And more reading from Google Scholar.

Just write your pages for the user and have your keywords and keyphrases appear naturally on the page.

- Michael

Michael, Aug 2, 2006 IP
    loress likes this.
  3. Diablos

Diablos Guest

Best Answers:
    Thanks I was just a little concerned about penelties for keyword stuffing/spamming. I know this is more of a past issue but I am sure there are still penelties out there.

Diablos, Aug 3, 2006 IP
  4. loress

loress Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree Michael, that the essence of the lesson should be that content rules supreme and the keywords appear as a result of the content and not the reverse. Cause & Effect.

However, I have found that keyword density allows me to see what ranges competitive sites are currently working within. And I have had results by manipulating these numbers accordingly, so does that not suggest that density plays one part in this? Also as Diablos points out that stuffing does incur a penalty so therefore again SERP weight is placed on density is it not?

loress, Aug 3, 2006 IP
  5. Michael

Michael Raider

Best Answers:
    A good point but no it does not suggest that KWD is important or used as a metric by SEs. KWD tells you nothing about the quality, semantics and relevancy of a page, which is why SEs use term vector models. However when you manipulate the text on a page you are changing the distribution, proximity and many other factors which do affect the content quality, semantics and relevancy.

No, because there are far more computationally efficient methods by combining heuristics for spam detection in general.

- Michael

Michael, Aug 3, 2006 IP
  6. hooperman

hooperman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Not really. What if the keyword stuffing occurred in the first 1% of the content? Low KD but stuffing nonetheless.

hooperman, Aug 3, 2006 IP