1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Technical Forum

Discussion in 'Websites' started by Will.Spencer, Aug 1, 2006.

I am a fairly successful webmaster and SEO, but success with my forums is eluding me.

I would really appreciate hearing some suggesstions from successful forum administrators as to what could be missing from The Tech FAQ Forum which is causing it to constantly fail to achieve critical mass.

I've used paid posting, cajoling friends into posting, and posting from multiple accounts. I've sent newsletters. I recently upgraded to vBulletin and vBSEO. I've re-skinned and re-organized and I can't help but feel that I'm missing that special something.

Wait, it's not a special something -- it's forum members! That's what I'm missing.

Something about this forum seems to drive people away, en masse.

I think that what I need is some serious mentoring from someone who has built several successful online communities in the past. That may be asking for too much. :D

What do you think?

Will.Spencer, Aug 1, 2006 IP
  2. aaron_nimocks

aaron_nimocks Im kind of a big deal Staff

Best Answers:
    Have you tried any contests? Also posting the contest info on homepage above the scroll usually gets more people to register.

I never really got into any tech sites but from what I see is you dont get much SE traffic (could be wrong). Reason I say that is your main title tag is just your site name. Which isnt bad but wont bring you any SE traffic.

Also all your categories are genaric terms that would be very tuff to rank for so they probably dont bring in much traffic.

I really dont have a suggestion for the categories and titles but you may want to look into less competitive ones in order to bring more traffic in and run a contest to get people posting. Maybe a $50 gift certificate from Amazon for most posts in a month since I would guess that would interest your users. But key would have it stand out on the homepage that they could win something if they join up.

aaron_nimocks, Aug 1, 2006 IP
    Will.Spencer likes this.
  3. tonyrocks

tonyrocks Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure SEO would totally fix your problem, albeit is a problem with your site. It is tough finding a a good audience to particiapte. Maybe your audience type is the kind of know it all that only posts to usenet or thorugh IRC channels. hehe... who knows. Maybe you can add some kind of technical blog that talks about differnt subject going on in the forum.

tonyrocks, Aug 1, 2006 IP
    Will.Spencer likes this.
  4. longroad

longroad Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think you have to ask what would make them come to your site rather than the usual big PC tech support forums to ask their question?

longroad, Aug 1, 2006 IP
    Will.Spencer likes this.
  5. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    Thanks everyone for your input and ideas so far. Please keep 'em coming!

I have not run contests on this forum yet, because I don't have enough of a member base yet. There would be only one contestant. :eek:

The forum was getting good SE traffic when it was phpBB. The new vBulletin/vBSEO pages have not ranked yet. I don't try to rank with the forum name or the categories or forums. I do try to rank for the titles of the individual threads. Often, I will do keyword research and start message threads on good terms that I have found.

Instead of a seperate blog, I make blog-style posts directly into the forum. The main web site to which this forum is attached also have over a thousand pages of unique content, and I use that to try to lure people into the forums.

One key differentiator which sets this forum aside from the PC forums is that we also discuss much more technical topics, such as networking, VoIP, telephony and satellite. But really, those other "big PC tech support forums" have the members that I want and I'm going to have to figure out how to compete with them. I don't want all of the posters (yet), but I would like to carve out a share of that market. To date, I have been unsuccessful. That's why I posted this thread. :)

Will.Spencer, Aug 2, 2006 IP
  6. fitnawake

fitnawake Peon

Best Answers:
    how about you did get some new folders designed, so its more a unique design?

fitnawake, Aug 2, 2006 IP
    Will.Spencer likes this.
  7. ramprage

ramprage Guest

Best Answers:
    Forums are hard to get going, you need some good technical members to answers others questions or it might not do so well. Try getting link exchanges with some other tech sites.

ramprage, Aug 2, 2006 IP
    Will.Spencer likes this.
  8. bin_asc

bin_asc Active Member

Best Answers:
    Website is nice.PR is very good.You should try to add some more functionality like a uCash points, people post and have some bonueses, like access to hidden forums or smth like that.

bin_asc, Aug 2, 2006 IP
    Will.Spencer likes this.
  9. dhruvd

dhruvd Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well i would suggest you to start a cool contest on your forum ( you can start anything ...like for quality and quantity posting etc )

Advertise your contest on all the big forums ! Like DP , Site Point , etc ... !

Do not keep one single winner .... keep atleast top 5 winner runners up and one winner ( may be you can pay or gift the runners up a bit less ) ..

You can either give Money in Prizes or you can also think of giving TLDs.

dhruvd, Aug 2, 2006 IP
    Will.Spencer likes this.
  10. cormac

cormac Peon

Best Answers:
    Nice forum Will - I have just joined :D

I found that people are always looking for tech forums for help, most of all those who work in call centres.

What I did notice on your forum is that when in a topic forum you need to look for the menu to browse other topics - i.e. the menu for The Tech FAQ Forum > Technical - it just seems to be too high up on the page......not sure if thats a real issue though.

cormac, Aug 2, 2006 IP
    Will.Spencer likes this.
  11. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    Thanks to everyone for their feedback and guidance!

I started a contest with an iPod as a prize. If this works well, I will run a stream of similar contests.

And thanks especially to dhruvd and turfsniffer for joining the forum!

I'm thinking about a way to build a menu in a left skyscraper to list the forums and sub-forums.

Will.Spencer, Aug 6, 2006 IP
  12. dhruvd

dhruvd Active Member

Best Answers:
    Sir my suggestion to you > Do advertise this forum contest as much as possible for more traffic and contestants. ( Try advertising this on other big forum sites too) :)

dhruvd, Aug 6, 2006 IP
  13. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    This forum is bothering me with a very strange concern. I can't define what my concern is well enough to describe it clearly. Roughly, my concern is that the "feel" of the posts on the forum are discouraging new members from posting.

The forum gets a reasonable amount of search engine traffic, but that traffic does not seem to be converting well to member registrations, new threads, and new posts. (other than contest related posts)

I am worried that something about the forum content is scaring people off.

Does this make any sense?

Will.Spencer, Aug 25, 2006 IP
  14. cormac

cormac Peon

Best Answers:
    From what I am seeing you have a lot of open threads with not very many replies in them.

When I browse into a forum the first thing I look at is the post count of a thread too see how busy it is, the more busy the more info to stew over.

Maybe look at the threads with the most reads and try and drum up more discussion with the current members to build the post count. For example take the IBM 600 thread on codes - you have over 5,000 reads with only 8 replies, maybe if that thread got a bigger post count there is a higher chance people will find it from the serps and start joining in if they see plenty of activity.

Just made a short visit over there, will try and get back soon ;)

cormac, Aug 25, 2006 IP
  15. Lpspider

Lpspider Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My #1 concern is that I have to use the botton scrollbar to see the whole page. That alone would turn me away personally.

My suggestion would be to make the forum active through as many means possible, then drive the traffic.

Lpspider, Aug 25, 2006 IP
  16. longroad

longroad Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hmm I can see alot of threads with a few pages of posts.

How is your competition going?

I dont think the feel of the posts have a problem, looks pretty normal to me!

longroad, Aug 26, 2006 IP
  17. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    The low message count thread observation is a very interesting one. Mentally, my model thread has been three posts long: question, answer, confirmation. That's not a good model for community building.

The horizontal scrolling issue is fixed. It was an error on my part with two elements that just did not work together at 1024x768 and below.

The competition is going reasonably well. Post quality could be a lot higher, but when is that not the case? dhruvd was right that I should have promoted the contest more widely. There are only a few contestants.

Will.Spencer, Aug 26, 2006 IP
  18. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    I've not read all of the posts, so I apologise if this has already been mentioned.

The first thing that hit me was the logo - okay, this shouldn't drive people away, and it has loads of content, regularly updated, but I think it would be more attractive if you had more unique logo.

The thing with this type of forum, is that you would only visit it, if you had a problem with your PC or a technical problem. It's not the type of community, where you would see regulars (I don't think)

I also found the Google ads to be a little intrusive, especially the line of Google Ads near the navigation at the top - it actually made me stop and think where I should click to go back to the main part of the forum.

The content links - also annoyed me when I accidently hovered over the green links. Just some initial thoughts - I've added it to my favs incase I ever have any PC problems though! :)

DarrenC, Aug 26, 2006 IP
  19. Sherlock

Sherlock Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    All you have to do is wait bro. Forums dont get popular so soon. Just keep it under your eye and chill.

Sherlock, Aug 26, 2006 IP
  20. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    Ahh... patience... not one of my strong suits. :D

The forum is doing better, thanks to people here and people elsewhere who have joined and are posting questions. There are now several new threads a day, which at least makes the place look occupied.

Soon I will need to recruit forum members to answer questions. :)

Our contest was somewhat successful. We will have another one soon.

Thanks everyone for all of your imput, suggesstions, and posts!

Will.Spencer, Sep 17, 2006 IP