1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Working online has changed everything about my perspective on life

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by kiddo, Jul 18, 2009.

This is a post for digital pointers who create websites, blogs, do seo and promotion.

Since I've been working so much online, I've noticed some interesting changes in the way I see life.

As we start to go down this path of internet marketing, creating websites, blogging, etc., we learn a bunch of new things. We learn about the importance of community, the absurd race for backlinks, how to create interesting titles for posts - that clicks are a rare and valuable commodity. We learn how to stand out, we learn the huge importance of aesthetics, like that having round corners can drop bounce rate by tens of percent on stumbleupon traffic. We learn that you give value first and then receive it later. All these things we discover, and they affect the way we live.

I noticed this the other day. I was walking down the street with my sister, and I was wearing some lousy jumper, so I grabbed her multi-coloured scarf and wrapped it around my neck. People noticed me more, because I was wearing something completely out of the ordinary. Not only was I comfortable with this, but I actually appreciated it. I realise that any kind of recognition is better than none. That I'd rather have a few people love me, and a lot of people hate me, than have everyone be indifferent to me. It's the same when you have a blog and you post some out-of-this-world content, some people will like what you say, and some people will disagree. Either way you're getting traffic, and that's a lot more exciting than checking flat-graphed analytics. I know, I've been there.

So we become attention-junkies, but we also become more expressive, more creative, and more ready to share how we actually feel. On one hand we know that it's a good thing to comment on someone else's blog, because we create relationships and it sometimes counts as a backlink - that can mean that sometimes we say things just for the sake of saying them, but a lot of the time we're also being more authentic than we would be otherwise. If someone comments on a blog post I wrote and asks me for help, I feel like I should help him because he took the time to read what I said. I appreciate the attention he's given my work, because I know that attention is a fickle thing on the internet.

We're ultra-competitive. If you own a blog that you're trying to monetise, you're in the most competitive market that has ever existed! There are 120 000 000 blogs out there, including those written by celebrities, people with huge social networks, business executives with insider information, professionals giving away free advice. Not to mention that micro-blogging is creating a generation of kids who can't concentrate long enough to read a whole blog post.

The more we strive to create huge value in order to succeed in these fields, I feel like we're pushing ourselves on to exceed what we think we're capable of. The other day I started a new blog that I hand-coded myself. I needed some content for it, so I wrote over 10,000 words in one day as a challenge. Other people who read about my challenge did it themselves, and multiple bloggers wrote posts about it. The effect that it created was greater than any it could have had outside the internet. When you design a site for someone else, you make it the best you can possibly make it because you know there are a thousand kids offering the same service for a cheaper price than you. You work much harder than you would have in a desk-job. You work hard at actually creating value, not just looking busy.

The result is that these mindsets extend beyond just your work online. In my experience, we bring this way of thinking into everything we do and I think it has a mass-scale effect on our lives.

kiddo, Jul 18, 2009 IP
    Rebecca likes this.
  2. digitalduke

digitalduke Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with your perspective.:) The battle is always about getting attention and making money from it. I been gone through roller coaster in the recent past but it is about time to become a serious internet marketeers. This place, DP is just awesome with awesome people.

Of course there is a huge competition, but there is always an opportunity in DP. That is what I like about this forum. There is so much to learn and make money, but so less time, but still can make that money...

digitalduke, Jul 18, 2009 IP
  3. Destintonight

Destintonight Peon

Best Answers:
    OP I loved your post. When we are on our own we know that we are responsible for all the action we take and they have a direct impact on our earning and the like. If you are working for others you will not be as satisfied.

If you notice more closely busy politicians, businessmen and others who strive hard in life actually live longer. This is beacuse their brain is always active and their mind is alays busy. When you are active and you are looking to meet deadlines you will not be affected by negative thoughts and pessimism.

Destintonight, Jul 19, 2009 IP
  4. cricketer

cricketer Banned

Best Answers:
    i like forum posting. When we are on our own we know that we are responsible for all the action we take and they have a direct impact on our earning and the like. If you are working for others you will not be as satisfied.

If you notice more closely busy politicians, businessmen and others who strive hard in life actually live longer. This is beacuse their brain is always active and their mind is alays busy. When you are active and you are looking to meet deadlines you will not be affected by negative thoughts and pessimism.

cricketer, Jul 19, 2009 IP
  5. Destintonight

Destintonight Peon

Best Answers:
    Its ok that you love forum posting. But should you copy paste? This is sick.

Destintonight, Jul 19, 2009 IP
  6. tommy009

tommy009 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you for sharing your thought. I think working online is very challenge and fun. Online world has infinite places to discover and develop for wealth, charity, passion or what else you can think that is the true freedom of human thought.

tommy009, Jul 19, 2009 IP