1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is that possible?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by DP Most, Jul 18, 2009.

DP Most, Jul 18, 2009 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  2. websys

websys Active Member

Best Answers:
    The mentioned site is not listed twice in same category .
    Listing of a site in the ODP even 25 times is possible BUT not necessarily in same category. There will be several trolls here who will come after this saying it is possible if you pay .
    The actual way it is possible is through Editor discretion and usefulness to the end user. DMOZ is edited by thousands of editors at any given time, so it is easily possible two editors ( or more) editors feel a given site is worth listing in their own category over different spans of time.
    To note : Even if a site is listed in multiple categories does NOT mean that it will be that way forever , Editors and the whole editor community actually battle largely to evaluate such multiple listings.
    For people who see evil in this , will continue to do so . The ultimate decision is NOT based on that , but rather on editor and editor community discretion.

websys, Jul 18, 2009 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  3. theapparatus

theapparatus Peon

Best Answers:
  4. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    The two most common situations where a site is appropriately listed more than once are:
    1. The site is available in more than one language version, in which case it is listed in the relevant category under each language.
    2. The site concerns something with a physical address (a widget factory, for example), in which case the site is listed under the category for widget factories as well as in the category for the relevant town.

makrhod, Jul 19, 2009 IP
  5. freshware

freshware Peon

Best Answers:
    It's may be,that is mistake by them.

freshware, Jul 23, 2009 IP
  6. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    What is the mistake?

Agent000, Jul 23, 2009 IP
  7. Techno-Man

Techno-Man Peon

Best Answers:
    is not impossible

Techno-Man, Jul 23, 2009 IP
  8. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    Um. Huh?
    I'm more than happy to explain about ODP/DMOZ, but that's difficult when I don't understand the question.

makrhod, Jul 23, 2009 IP
  9. Going Green

Going Green Active Member

Best Answers:
    I split my site up recently. It was regarding Green & Alternative Health articles but I wasnt sure if I could get a listing in both categories so I created a seperate site for each.

Going Green, Jul 26, 2009 IP
  10. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    Editors review each site they find (whether or not is has been suggested by the owner) in light of the selection criteria, which clearly state that only the main site is considered for a listing, if the webmaster has chosen to divide the content between multiple domains.
    That is his prerogative, of course, but it does not affect the fact that only one of those will be considered for listing in ODP/DMOZ.

makrhod, Jul 26, 2009 IP
  11. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Why do the rules keep changing, yet the guidelines never seem to get updated?

TOPIX anyone? They certainly got only ONE listing :rolleyes:

Deep links are fine, and spliting a site into multiple sections can and does result in multiple listings...at least for editor sites.

Qryztufre, Jul 26, 2009 IP
  12. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    They don't.
    The editorial guidelines have been public since the beginning. Reading them might help. ;)

makrhod, Jul 26, 2009 IP
  13. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Like reading the parts that call ODP listings LISTINGS :rolleyes:

The guidelines themselves have not been updated in YEARS, but you seem to keep changing the definitions of things. Count the times other editors have said LISTING or QUEUE, and tell me again how those are not the correct words.

Or maybe I should point to the guidelines that say the ODP is a SERVICE where you keep saying it's not.

So maybe it's not the guidelines that changed, it's just an editor that has.

14. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    No, it is a service to web surfers, NOT to webmasters. Simple.

makrhod, Jul 26, 2009 IP
  15. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    There you go, changing the definitions of things again :rolleyes:

If it was truly a service to the websurfer then the queue would be looked at (because some web surfers do submit sites). Sites would NOT get banned based on the actions of the webmaster if the site itself is listable. There would be at least SOME communication between the surfer and the ODP itself. And the list goes on. There is no evidence that I can see that the service provided by the ODP is for anyone other then editors, and possibly webmasters... the average web surfer does not even know what a directory is, let alone what DMOZ is.

16. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    Er, no, not at all. That has always been the goal of the ODP, which has always been freely available for everyone to read.
    The fact that so many ill-informed people wish it were different is indeed unfortunate, but it does not in the smallest degree detract from the original purpose.

makrhod, Jul 26, 2009 IP
  17. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Then why do you keep changing your mind over things?

It's a service... that's in the guidelines.
    The LISTED sites are LISTINGS... that's in the guidelines.

Submitted sites go in a queue, sorry, that's just the definition of a queue, the sites are still placed in a queue, the fact that the queue does not need to be followed is another matter ;) :p QUEUE is mentioned on this site by MANY MANY editors, on the ODP blog, RZ, and many other places where ODP editors post. The first time that the word QUEUE was put into question was when you started to say it was not one. And speaking of not detracting from the original purpose... why isn't the queue used anymore?

18. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    But I already answered that - see my post above. How on earth can I "change my mind" when all I am doing is referring to publicly available documents. :confused:
    The fact that you don't read or understand those documents is certainly unfortunate, but nothing at all to do with me or my statements.

makrhod, Jul 26, 2009 IP
  19. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    lol, I think we need seperate documents for site owners, that are a little clearer. Something like:

1. No, we are not a listing service for site owners.
    2. No, you do not have a "right" to be listed.
    3. Yes, any of the public can "suggest" any site for an editor's consideration.
    4. No, there is no guarantee that the site will be looked at or accepted.
    5. No, there is not a time limit.
    6. No, there is no "line of waiting persons" (queue), which suggests each person gets a turn, and has some kind of right.
    7. Yes, there are a lot of site suggestions scattered throughout the Directory.
    8. No, not every site that exists will be listed.
    9. What goes on inside the Directory is not your business, nor do you have any right to know.
    10. Yes, abuse exists, by both editors and site owners, but it is the Directory's business, and the Directory will deal with it, as it's discovered. (The Directory welcomes any specific details of abuse from the public via its abuse form)

Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
    crowbar, Jul 27, 2009 IP
  20. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Kind of goes against...

What is that list of suggested sites for consideration called?

Kind of goes hand in hand doesn't it ;)

1. The first rule of fight club...

Qryztufre, Jul 27, 2009 IP