1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Which structure is better?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by GreenDog, Jul 12, 2009.

GreenDog, Jul 12, 2009 IP
  2. atniz

atniz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would choose 6 letter word title here.

The title is more clearer and it will certainly explains better of your post.

However, the best length of words for blog post title is to keep at 3-6words. Long words (10 words or more) type of blog post just look spammy as the admin tries to squeeze all those important keywords in title for SEO purpose.

atniz, Jul 14, 2009 IP
  3. chefradish

chefradish Peon

Best Answers:
    I like the How to Fix a Broket Toilet option as well. It describes your topic and isn't too long and cumbersome. Getting over 7 or eight words though can be a bit much, but as long as your descriptive that's really what matters.

chefradish, Jul 14, 2009 IP
  4. GreenDog

GreenDog Active Member

Best Answers:
    I need to know which one the SE's are going to like better ;)

GreenDog, Jul 14, 2009 IP
  5. willybfriendly

willybfriendly Peon

Best Answers:
    Wrong approach. What will your visitors like better.

www.howtofix.com/toilets

Who knows, the savvy visitor might start trying other things, like sinks, carburators, tv, bicycles, chainsaws and more.

While the URL does have some influence on ranking it is hardly the place to put your biggest effort. You title tag will have far more effect.

willybfriendly, Jul 14, 2009 IP
    Canonical likes this.
  6. Canonical

Canonical Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have to agree w/ willybfriendly here... I would go with:

www.howtofix.com/toilets/

or

www.howtofix.com/broken-toilets/ (probably this one)

depending on whether I want to rank for "how to fix toilets" (1st URL preferred, "how to fix broken toilets" (2nd URL preferred) or both "how to fix toilets" and "how to fix broken toilets" (2nd URL preferred). Having "how to fix" in the domain name AND in the page name looks spammy and is not simple for the user to remember.

Decisions like these should be based primarily on what is good for your users, and secondarily on what is good for the engines. If you ever have to choose between what is good for the user and what is good for the engines, always go with what is best for the user. If you do this then 80% of the time you will automatically have chosen the correct approach from an SEO perspective as well.

He is also correct in that keyword rich URLs are a VERY minor ranking factor in comparison to things like <title>, <h1>, inbound link text, etc. A good SEO knows when to compromise on things related to SEO to get bigger benefits on things like usability, conversions, etc.

Canonical, Jul 14, 2009 IP