1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

So I Finally Hit the Front Page of Digg - My Results

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by Ascendancy, Jul 11, 2009.

Well, I did it. I've spent at least a month and a half completely devoted to gaining friends on tons of social networking sites, gaining traffic, and trying to get my articles to hit the front page of Digg. As of a few days ago, I finally did it. I got over 500 diggs for my web design article, and I ended up on not only the front page of Digg but also in the popular section of Delicious.

Was it worth it? From my standpoint, yes and no. My blog is sort of new, and I don't have a ton of content on it. I gain a lot of visitors naturally through Google, but I definitely needed something to give my traffic a little "kick" and get people aware of my blog. However, after checking my Google Analytics account I found that after spending the whole day on the front page of Digg and Delicious, I got sent 6,726 visitors that day. This number seemed very small to me, especially with people stating they've gained 40k+ visitors from hitting Digg's front page, nevermind Delicious, Stumble, etc...

[​IMG]

Will I continue to try and hit again? Absolutely. It's amazing for quality backlinks, and 7,000 brand new visitors is no laughing matter. However, I was very shocked to see the number so low after seeing people claim to get tens of thousands of unique's after hitting Digg's FP. I know this seems like a ramble, but I am very excited all my hard work finally paid off and I just wanted to share my results with you.

Ascendancy, Jul 11, 2009 IP
    golb12, magda and liror like this.
  2. waxman1000

waxman1000 Peon

Best Answers:
    This is a good one you pulled off successfully. Congratulations. So what about the revenue aspect of it? How much did you make in that day?

waxman1000, Jul 11, 2009 IP
  3. golb12

golb12 Peon

Best Answers:
    Just wanted to say thanks for sharing this, it was interesting and this type of thing is what I come to the forum for. +rep

golb12, Jul 11, 2009 IP
  4. azn_romeo_4u

azn_romeo_4u Peon

Best Answers:
    wow only 6k? digg is not what it use to be. I got 40,000 on front page it has double your diggs though. 800 now over two years, 1000.

azn_romeo_4u, Jul 11, 2009 IP
  5. kush86

kush86 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Good to see your hard work paid off. Hopefully a lot of them subscribe to your blog.

kush86, Jul 11, 2009 IP
  6. bluexdragunz83

bluexdragunz83 Peon

Best Answers:
    congrats!

I hope to do the same one day, mabey.

do it again.

bluexdragunz83, Jul 11, 2009 IP
  7. tjsocr22

tjsocr22 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Wow congrats! I am surprised it only took you a month and a half, if would take me almost a year :S lol

tjsocr22, Jul 11, 2009 IP
  8. Ascendancy

Ascendancy Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the comments guys! As for the revenue, it wasn't too much. I just got accepted into Microsoft's pubCenter program so I had those ads running, and I made about $8.50 after 13k impressions on each ad (2 sidebars and header). The day after that I had about 4k visitors, made about $2... so yeah not much money, but right now it's not about the $$$ for me it's about building a reader-base and traffic

9. naha72

naha72 Banned

Best Answers:
    That is not bad. But if you could get some more like this on front page, it will be great.

naha72, Jul 11, 2009 IP
  10. Ascendancy

Ascendancy Active Member

Best Answers:
    Absolutely, that's the goal! I will definitely report back with my findings if I end up getting another article to the front page, and hopefully my numbers will be a lot higher next time.

11. evolveforever

evolveforever Peon

Best Answers:
    social media sites will work the best for your site - so you will get more traffic spikes like these in the future.Congrats :)

evolveforever, Jul 11, 2009 IP
  12. MyFortuneNow

MyFortuneNow Guest

Best Answers:
    Did your long hours and hard work pay off. If it were me and I put forth all that time and effort and it resulted in no profit I would be a little upset. That's just me though.

--JC

MyFortuneNow, Jul 11, 2009 IP
  13. jasmor81

jasmor81 Peon

Best Answers:
    i worked really hard about a year or so ago to get to the front page. For me I got a ton of hits but it wasn't what I thought it would be either

jasmor81, Jul 11, 2009 IP
  14. PPCInformer

PPCInformer Active Member

Best Answers:
    never happened for me, but good for you.. congrats

PPCInformer, Jul 12, 2009 IP
  15. jkadin

jkadin Peon

Best Answers:
    great job well done just keep repeating it maybe the next time it will be double congrats again to you.

jkadin, Jul 12, 2009 IP
  16. diytechblog

diytechblog Peon

Best Answers:
    I wanted to contratulate you on two counts, first for the success you realized with your hard work and also on the fact that you set a goal and you managed your time in a manner that allowed you to reach your goal. Staying dedicated to your goal is very important and it's the only way to determine what works and what does not.

I want to ask though, what are some of the details of the stats. I know these are unique visitors, but how's the bounce rate, are there retrun visitors... I'd like to hear a litlle about the quality of the traffic from Digg?

diytechblog, Jul 12, 2009 IP
  17. gaahl

gaahl Active Member

Best Answers:
    interesting feedback! thanks for sharing. Such insight is priceless, we often hear about ppl getting on the frontpage and blablabla...

I think it's worth it in terms of backlinks you get once you hit the frontpage rather than the direct traffic though...

gaahl, Jul 12, 2009 IP
  18. w3bmaster

w3bmaster Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Sadly that traffic is quite low ... as converting ...

w3bmaster, Jul 12, 2009 IP
  19. Mega B

Mega B Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That is some achievment to get to the Front page of Digg as it is not a easy job to do.Well done

Mega B, Jul 12, 2009 IP
  20. SeoHawk

SeoHawk Banned

Best Answers:
    I digg it too. Really nice tutorials sites.
    Thank you very much!!

- SeoHawk :)

SeoHawk, Jul 12, 2009 IP