1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

url rewritting benefits

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by liqdwork, Jul 1, 2009.

i have a site with rewriting implemented, but i am somewhat confused about an approach i should take and would appreciate suggestions

if put a request to my site in the below fashion:
    www.domain.com/1/100/math.html

it will create a page with math problems in the difficulty of 1 to 100, the script parses out and uses 1/100 as parameters. The thing is that I don't want users tampering with those parameters - someone might change 1 to -1 or one billion etc ... and in turn i need to implement extra logic which will put a limit on a minimum and maximum number etc ... i was thinking of just hiding parameters by encrypting parameters, which will look like this

www.domain.com/asdd23.2df.fd2df3/math.html

here is why i don't like it: I think for search engine it will be harder to understand the relevance of math in the url to content of the page because url is now longer and we are creating a string that means nothing to SE

let me know what you guys think about this and what do you think i should do

liqdwork, Jul 1, 2009 IP
  2. willybfriendly

willybfriendly Peon

Best Answers:
    Why not put your logic in the code generating the page?

Assuming you are parsing the URL into variables

if $low < 1
    $low = 1;
    if $high > 100
    $high = 100;

It is important to sanitize your variables anyway. You should always confirm that anything supplied by the user falls within expected ranges and types.

willybfriendly, Jul 1, 2009 IP
  3. liqdwork

liqdwork Peon

Best Answers:
    there are certain pages that make a request to a math page where maximum is higher etc ... i already to have logic for max and min etc ... but i still see potential for a problem, it would just be easier to encrypt the parameters for me, but if it will hurt ranking then i'll spend extra time on making sure logic is solid.

the question is will encrypting parameters make it harder for google to understand that i have a math keyword in url which is relevant to a content of a page.

liqdwork, Jul 1, 2009 IP
  4. Ornani

Ornani Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    try to encode the page using digits rather then characters so the "math.html" will be the only word (exept for the domain) in the URL.

Ornani, Jul 1, 2009 IP