1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why are websites with less backlinks ranking higher than me??

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by scottlpool2003, Jul 1, 2009.

It's so annoying, I really don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I've been getting quality pageranked backlinks but websites such as:

www.onlinewatchmovies.net

Has around 1,000 less backlinks than me but ranks higher than me, god man I can't even find my site in Google for the keywords I'm targetting.

I got PR3 on the first update, yet I'm still struggling to rank anywhere in Google for my keywords.

scottlpool2003, Jul 1, 2009 IP
  2. qazu

qazu Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    More backlinks don't automatically equate to better SERPs. It the relevance of the backlinks and the quality of the backlinks that matter. How many of your backlinks come from forum signatures, blog comments, directory submissions, sitewide links?

qazu, Jul 1, 2009 IP
  3. BILZ

BILZ Peon

Best Answers:
    Google says your site has 7 links
    While the other site has 63

Perhaps that solves your mystery.

BILZ, Jul 1, 2009 IP
  4. Canonical

Canonical Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What Google says as far as the number of backlinks from LINK: is meaningless. His site could have 10x more backlinks but Google shows him as having less... Google LINK: operator AND Webmaster Tools only show a small sample of a URL's backlinks.

You will get a better sampling at Yahoo! with the LINK: operator. It shows all that Yahoo! knows about. Granted it's not the same links that Google is seeing because they each have slightly different URLs in their index (and if a page linking to you is not indexed, the link is not counted). However, Yahoo! LINK: operator will give you the best comparison and most exhaustive list of backlinks for a given URL.

Yahoo! is showing www.onlinewatchmovies.net as having about 811 backlinks to their home page, and 2797 to their entire site... It's showing www.onlinemovieguru.com as having 3199 backlinks to his home page, and 3253 to the entire site.

One thing you can see right away is that the www.onlinewatchmovies.net site will be seen as more of an authority on movies. Google sees sites with inbound links from lots of sites to MANY of their pages as more of an authority than sites where most of the links are to their home page only.

All but 54 of your links are to your home page... That means 98.339+% of your inbound links are to your home page. Only 28.995+% of their links are to their home page.

You have a very poor backlink strategy. You want links to your inner pages. You can't make your home page rank for all of your keyword phrases. It's much easier to make lots of individual pages rank for 1 keyword phrase each than it is to make a single page rank for lots of individual keyword phrases. If each page targets a different keyword phrase, you get a whole new set of <title>, <h1>, <h2>s, content, link text from other pages on your site, etc. to use for your on-page/on-site SEO to make that page rank.

Hopefully you have been mixing up the link text quite a bit. If you're spamming links to your home page with all the same link text, it does not look natural to Google and this too could be affecting rankings. I try to make 40-60% of my inbound links contain the exact targeted keyword phrase(s) from the <title> of the page being linked to and the remaining inbound links use lots of slight variations of the targeted keyword phrase(s).

I would suggest also performing this little exercise that I have come up with to compare backlink profiles for your URL and your competitor's URL that rank differently for the same keyword phrase. It's usually an eye opener.

Canonical, Jul 1, 2009 IP
  5. scottlpool2003

scottlpool2003 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wow, thanks for that information. I'm going to start getting backlinks for different areas of my website now and add more <h1></h1></h2></h2> tags in there to up my SEO.

scottlpool2003, Jul 1, 2009 IP
  6. Canonical

Canonical Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Limit it to a single <h1> per page... it's okay to have a few <h2>s on each page but don't over do it...

Canonical, Jul 1, 2009 IP
  7. Promoman

Promoman Active Member

Best Answers:
    Don't forget to have keywords in your copy and especially in the url strings on each page as well as with page titles and descriptions.

Promoman, Jul 1, 2009 IP
  8. w3bmaster

w3bmaster Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Becouse backlinks aren't the only factor
    and quality ... not quantity ...

w3bmaster, Jul 1, 2009 IP
  9. trosquin

trosquin Active Member

Best Answers:
    Your onpage optimization is sucky! You have numerous <h1> tags....no images with alt tags
    Wheres your MEta Descriptions?

Also onlinewatchmovies is an older domain....you have only been around since April!

Finally you have a ton of ads....first thing on your page.....Google does not want to see this as the first thing when it comes to your site...makes it look like a SPAM site! I would take the ads off the home page or at least put them lower.

P.S. Those Keywords you are targeting are out of your reach I would say! At least as a new site!

trosquin, Jul 1, 2009 IP
  10. In4Om

In4Om Peon

Best Answers:
    The quality of every link counts on Google and not the quantity. Also, it ultimately boils down to the content that he has on the site. Content is the king after all...

In4Om, Jul 1, 2009 IP
  11. james.jakab

james.jakab Peon

Best Answers:
    Backlinks aren't the only factor. Google algorithm accepts quality links only. Avoid repeating keywords and key phrases. Eliminate over-competitive terms. Post frequently!

james.jakab, Jul 1, 2009 IP
  12. search_junkie

search_junkie Peon

Best Answers:
    Its not a pissing match.

If all it boiled down to was PageRank and backlinks then it would be too easy to rank. Oh no no no no no. It is much more than just the number links and their quality. But quality over quantity is definitely at play.

The larger the site the more authoritative it is. The older the page the more authoritative it is. Some pages are better optimized or have cleaner code and faster load times. Some sites have more traffic. Some have fresher content or ping the search engines alot.

So its a myraid of things that get you ranked.

search_junkie, Jul 1, 2009 IP
  13. ericajoieake

ericajoieake Guest

Best Answers:
    for your information having a good backlinks have lots of aspects, perhaps your competitor is ahead of you in many aspects of seo that why that site is higher than your rank.

ericajoieake, Jul 2, 2009 IP
  14. submitinme

submitinme Peon

Best Answers:
    Back links should be a dofollow then only it will help for SERP.And targeted visits are more important .

submitinme, Jul 2, 2009 IP
  15. rahulx1

rahulx1 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    you increased his backlink 1 time more

rahulx1, Aug 30, 2012 IP
  16. jadexe

jadexe Member

Best Answers:
    Not all backlinks are the same. Quality of a backlink depends on the extension of the domain, the page rank of the domain and probably other thing too, but those are the ones that comes to my mind.

jadexe, Aug 30, 2012 IP
  17. reachkimberly

reachkimberly Peon

Best Answers:
    One thing that I do is find a related keyword and include it in my post. Then I link that keyword to a related site that is ranked high on Google. Google likes when you share.

reachkimberly, Aug 30, 2012 IP
  18. Unify

Unify Member

Best Answers:
    The quality of backlinks matters, and the way you collect them, For example if I have a movie website, and I want to get back link from a post on a forum. The post should be related to movies for the back link to be higher quality.
    [​IMG]

Unify, Aug 30, 2012 IP
  19. scottlpool2003

scottlpool2003 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wow this bumped from 2009 to 2012....

Still an interesting subject though.

I agree with the posters above it's quality over quantity. And Unify is correct, related backlinks gain trust on your domain. Spammy backlinks will give you negative trust and move you further down the list in the search engines.

scottlpool2003, Sep 12, 2012 IP
  20. reachkimberly

reachkimberly Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you so much!

reachkimberly, Sep 12, 2012 IP