1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google massively dropping my websites to lower result pages

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Exhuminator, Jun 26, 2009.

Hello.

I'm having a problem in the past few weeks with Google's results pages. It's happening to quite a lot of my websites and I have absolutely no idea why does that happens.
    All of a sudden, some of my websites vanished from lets say result page 1 (on main keyword) to page 5 or even page 6 or 7 - and all of them on the same day - with me doing absolutely no changes on the website itself and neither doing too much of off-site SEO work .. Neither of them is a new website, most of them are inside Google's search index for a few years now, so the "new-website-search-results-jumping-up-dropping-down" is not an option, I'd say...

I was thinking through this for a few days now, but I really can't find a suitable explanation.. Anyone of you guys/girls having (has had) the same problems? Why could this be happening and how could I stop it ?

Thank you all.

ExH.

Exhuminator, Jun 26, 2009 IP
  2. digitalextrememediagroup

digitalextrememediagroup Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe other Websites are doing more SEO and are gaining rank.

3. Exhuminator

Exhuminator Peon

Best Answers:
    yes, could be, but dropping 20 websites on totally random keywords on the same day to the same site (result page 5 or 6) ? I think it's a bit more then just a coincidence, I just dont know what's causing it.. :)

and thank you for response :)

Exhuminator, Jun 26, 2009 IP
  4. Canonical

Canonical Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It could be that Google's algorithm changed at that time, and suddenly a certain type of inbound link has been devalued (for example, directory links). If all of your sites happen to have that particular type of inbound link targetted by the algorithm change then they would all take a hit. This is why it is alway preferable to diversify your backlink profile. Don't use just one or two link development techniques (blog posts, blog commenting, article submission, forum signatures, directory submissions, social bookmarking, natural links from traditional sites, etc.) Try to use as many different techniques for building backlinks as you can so that if one of them is targetted by an algorithm change, your rankings don't get wiped out.

It could also be that your sites have some common sources for some of their links and those sources are no longer indexed, have dropped your links, or have been devalued due to algorithm changes or penalties.

It could be that your sites have been reported to Google because they are all interlinking but are unrelated (seen as a link farm) or violating some other Google Webmaster Guideline, so Google has hit them all with a -50/-60 type penalty which would put your results on page 5 or 6. If you are doing anything shady, I would correct it and submit a request for reconsideration. Then I would build some fresh backlinks to the pages.

It could be a million different things. Without your URLs and a knowing the history of your backlink profile, it's hard to say.

Canonical, Jun 26, 2009 IP
  5. SpamHat

SpamHat Peon

Best Answers:
    Google's funny like that.

Local search, filters, logged in accounts, competition, google voodoo etc all play a role.

SpamHat, Jun 26, 2009 IP
  6. nidhivishwas

nidhivishwas Peon

Best Answers:
    It's because of some updation in google's algorithm or your competitors are working well on their site.

nidhivishwas, Jun 26, 2009 IP
  7. Exhuminator

Exhuminator Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you guys for all the answers and suggestions.

I did however notice one thing - could this happen because almost all of those sites have more then 1 keyword in its title? (title: keyword 1, keyword 2, keyword 3 --> keyword 1 | keyword 2, keyword 3)

Exhuminator, Jun 29, 2009 IP
  8. digitalextrememediagroup

digitalextrememediagroup Peon

Best Answers:
    What ever happend things are going great for my sites. All the recent sites I have built just updated to page rank 3 and the other ones to a 2. I am also back in for "Web Design" now number 91 for 346,000,000 pages.
    Google was showing me at 15 and then gone for a month or more. The last week must have contained a major change in the Algo. Has any one else seen a pagerank jump in the last week?

9. Earnest01

Earnest01 Peon

Best Answers:
    This complaint has become common as of late - there's has been an update with certain backlink categories devalued I guess, so what we can do is just alter our tactics to include the more reliable methods.

Earnest01, Jun 29, 2009 IP
  10. KEEWIRDZ

KEEWIRDZ Guest

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I've read about this kind of thing happening to a lot of people in the past few days.

KEEWIRDZ, Jun 29, 2009 IP