1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do you trade links with other websites?

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by The SEO Man, Jun 17, 2009.

I notice that a lot of new webmasters tend to focus on trying to build links but they often forget to trade links with a few relevant websites as well.

Do you trade links with other websites?

If so: What type of results have you experienced as far as search engine results?
    • What do you look for when you trade links with another website?
    Do you think it trading links helped you get better search engine position for the keywords and keyword terms that website is targeting?

If you do not trade links with other websites: Why not?

I would like to note: I do not feel that it is not important for all websites to trade links with other sites, but in many cases trading links with help with SEO and improve search engine position of both websites that trade links.

The SEO Man, Jun 17, 2009 IP
  2. ~kev~

~kev~ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No, I try to never exchange links. If I do as exchange, its a 3 way exchange.

Google frowns on excessive links exchange. In the google webmaster guidelines it clearly states that excessive link exchanges can have a negative impact on where your site ranks in search results. Since the guideline does not state what "excessive" is, I stay away from it all together.

~kev~, Jun 17, 2009 IP
  3. thefandango

thefandango Active Member

Best Answers:
    No I do not do link exchanges - worthless waste of time unless its a high traffic site I am linking with. Me and my clients simply trade non-reciprocal links all the time.

thefandango, Jun 17, 2009 IP
  4. bigcat1967

bigcat1967 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I stay away from it anymore. I have in the past traded - but put a nofollow on their link - therefore, I wouldn't lose any link juice.

bigcat1967, Jun 17, 2009 IP
  5. alitacastel

alitacastel Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think if someone is paying you he/she would definitely wants something in return. So putting nofollow without bringing it into their notice would not be good business practice. But if they agreed on nofollow links then there is no problem.

BTW I do sell or buy links as well. But I've been doing this for other webmasters. I discuss all terms in detail with my client to avoid problems that can arise later and surprisingly every time I get good response. :)

alitacastel, Jun 17, 2009 IP
  6. gauravgrt

gauravgrt Peon

Best Answers:
    well i dont exchange links because i believe two way links are no longer considered by google anymore.

gauravgrt, Jun 17, 2009 IP
  7. jawadk

jawadk Banned

Best Answers:
    well 2-way-links are condsidered, but they dont have that great value as a one way link can have

jawadk, Jun 17, 2009 IP
  8. finweek

finweek Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Actually all link exchanges can have negative effect over your website, but usually have positive one.
    I do not make link exchanges, I just prefer natural link building.

finweek, Jun 17, 2009 IP
  9. hip_hop_x

hip_hop_x Active Member

Best Answers:
    i do link exchanges too and untill now i had only good results

hip_hop_x, Jun 17, 2009 IP
  10. nikomaster

nikomaster Member

Best Answers:
    No link exchanges, just natural link building.

nikomaster, Jun 17, 2009 IP
  11. mikecre

mikecre Peon

Best Answers:
    Google hate link exchange, but it may work if you want to improve your position in Yahoo.

mikecre, Jun 17, 2009 IP
  12. evolveforever

evolveforever Peon

Best Answers:
    link exchange has helped me.Link exchange has made my blog go to the Page 2 for the phrase MAKE MONEY BLOGGING.I have seen another site do the same way.LE definitely helps.But iam not sure if my blog is gonna hang over there or drop in position.The other blog has been in page 2 for over 5 months !!

evolveforever, Jun 17, 2009 IP
  13. JonRhodesUK

JonRhodesUK Active Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I remember Matt Cutts talking about Google liking 'natural' links. He then went on to say that it is natural to sometimes swap links with other sites. It's probably when a large percentage of your links are obtained this way that the penalties start kicking in. Of course we have no idea where this cut off point is. I think they therefore do have some value, and are worthwhile. I would avoid any system which automatically trades links for you - Google hates links that the site owner does not 'quality control', and this is quite obviously an attempt to game the system.

JonRhodesUK, Jun 18, 2009 IP
  14. The SEO Man

The SEO Man Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would agree with Matt Cutts, trading links is important, but how links are traded is even more important.

If you do not know how to trade links naturally, then it would be best to seek help from someone with experience before attempting to do so, or at least take the time to learn.

Links are a very important part of SEO, and trading links properly can help increase keyword performance and improve search engine position at all major search engines, including Google.com

The SEO Man, Jun 28, 2009 IP
  15. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    I am very strict about what pages I will link to and with what anchor text. But, I am always open to linking good pages that are relevant to my pages and my site visitors.

Will.Spencer, Jun 28, 2009 IP
    browntwn likes this.
  16. FreeWebTrafficOnline.com

FreeWebTrafficOnline.com Peon

Best Answers:
    Trading links that are relitive to the subject and helpful to the end user, will give everyone maximum benifit.

17. KEEWIRDZ

KEEWIRDZ Guest

Best Answers:
    It just seems like a bad idea to try to mess with google like that. I don't know.

KEEWIRDZ, Jun 28, 2009 IP
  18. w3bmaster

w3bmaster Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I only concentrate on one way links ...

w3bmaster, Jun 29, 2009 IP
    Will.Spencer likes this.
  19. Todd_SEO

Todd_SEO Peon

Best Answers:
    Everyone says natural link building, I don't trade links, etc. but in reality, especially for local businesses, there aren't any sites out there really looking to link to a tile floor installer in florida so trading links is necessary as long as it is done the right way. If the link you are providing on your site(we'll use the tile floor installer example) is to a cruise line in south africa then it looks spammy and will raise some flags but if you're linking to your tile manufacturer or a carpet company in the same area then that will always be a plus. Just keep the links relevant and useful and it will make an impact.

Todd_SEO, Jun 29, 2009 IP
  20. wildogre

wildogre Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i usually look for its PR after that i check out its alexa traffic rank that clear my point whether to exchange or not.

wildogre, Jun 29, 2009 IP