1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I suck at ideas

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by JacobWarren, Jun 25, 2009.

So pretty much I've been trying to make multiple websites to bring in some extra revenue this year. All of my ideas are an epic failure though. Populurl sucks. The Overclocker Zone was a complete disaster. And my multiple arcade sites failed miserably.

The thing is, I'm a decent programmer. I made $1,525 off my last website for a pharmacy and it only took a few days. It's just sad that all of my ideas and websites flop.

I still want to make money online though, so my main question is, what are some ways I could go upon earning money online with my skills as a programmer?

I would still like my own website though. It's just I don't know what I should do.

JacobWarren, Jun 25, 2009 IP
  2. Wall Major

Wall Major Peon

Best Answers:
    Shouldnt you be looking to leverage your programming skills into a business model of its own?

By that I mean being a freelance promgrammer who works with different marketers, companies etc?

Look into what people mean by 'offline gold' etc - I dont sell anything along this line so definitely not pushing my own product! There is a lot of money to be made for programmers dealing with offline businesses - and getting them online.

I think you know your strengths, you should just be looking at a business model that emphasises them

Wall Major, Jun 25, 2009 IP
    Halobitt likes this.
  3. JacobWarren

JacobWarren Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmmm, thank you Wall Major. Should I start by designing a site that has my rates and an online form to request my skills? I guess I'm just not very original. If someone tells me what to program then I can do it and my mind starts working as to unique ways to achieve the task, but when I do it I go brain dead thinking of ideas.

4. zulugrid

zulugrid Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    For me it helps to "borrow" other people's ideas. I find a really horribly built website that barely addresses a need, and I think of a way to make it better. Or I find a website that provides some sort of neat static content, and try to think of a way to make it dynamic. StumbleUpon is great for this.

Another thing that can help is to design webpages that you would want to visit, rather than trying to think of something that you can sell to others.

zulugrid, Jun 25, 2009 IP
  5. Ascendancy

Ascendancy Active Member

Best Answers:
    You should market yourself as a freelance programmer. Or even better, start your own web development company.

If you aren't good at designing then just buy a template from somewhere, program an admin backend (CMS or something), and then market the site online. You can have your clients pay you through PayPal to make things easier, and just complete programming projects. You'll make more money and at a faster rate with less hours of work doing freelance programming than internet marketing.

Ascendancy, Jun 25, 2009 IP
  6. JacobWarren

JacobWarren Peon

Best Answers:
    Ascendancy, I am only 17. Do you know if it's legal to start my own company yet? I can design. It's just when it comes to niches I don't know what I should do personally.

And zulugrid, that is a good idea. I might have to try that. Thank you! :D

7. lifeplayer

lifeplayer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Sure, no rules mentioned that 17 years old cant own company.
    Just set up a programmig company, get those programming job is good enough

lifeplayer, Jun 25, 2009 IP
  8. couchsurfer06

couchsurfer06 Peon

Best Answers:
    hello jacob, you could try to apply in odesk. Programmers there are just few, so the competency is not that big. best of luck!

couchsurfer06, Jun 25, 2009 IP
  9. QualityInc

QualityInc Peon

Best Answers:
    You're starting early so don't give up. Keep trying new ideas and you'll have something majorly successful by the time you're out of college. Just keep plugging away and trying new things.

QualityInc, Jun 25, 2009 IP
  10. JacobWarren

JacobWarren Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow, that's awesome lifeplayer! Thank you. I'll brainstorm on some ideas of what to call it. Couchsurfer06, do you get paid for odesk? Also, thank you QualityInc. Thank you all. I will just keep trying. I am thinking about just opening up a website about my web design now. Having a personal blog on it.

JacobWarren, Jun 26, 2009 IP
  11. darubio

darubio Guest

Best Answers:
    you could try reading some interesting books!

darubio, Jun 26, 2009 IP
  12. davejug1

davejug1 Banned

Best Answers:
    This is a major problem, not just for you but for most. Most people who have the ideas can't code, and most coders are bad marketers.

Browse the requests you see around. Find one you like and create the solution for it. Then instead of going into the big wide world to market it (impossible without marketing skills or loads of money) advertise it here, give people a test run and charge them on a monthly basis to use it.

davejug1, Jun 26, 2009 IP
  13. southwind19

southwind19 Active Member

Best Answers:
    just look around, watch what other people have done and you are sure to get some inspiration and you made quite and bit from one single programing work.... you are sure to get more

southwind19, Jun 26, 2009 IP
  14. tdg89

tdg89 Peon

Best Answers:
    Why don't you make a website on programming?

Maybe you could hire someone to do the 'technical website stuff' for you.

tdg89, Jun 26, 2009 IP
  15. davejug1

davejug1 Banned

Best Answers:
    To go further, there are lots of people who have fantastic ideas but no techie knowledge (myself included) who might be interested in doing a joint venture with you. All you do is create the program, get them to market it and Bob's your uncle

davejug1, Jun 26, 2009 IP
  16. GameFriends.com

GameFriends.com Peon

Best Answers:
    Don't stay discouraged too long...it's easy to be negative when things "fail" but the great thing is you learn from your mistakes. Time is money so I wouldn't go the freelance route longterm unless you have high paying clientele. Find a niche you are passionate about so when you research/blog about it, it won't be such a drag...stay positive :)

GameFriends.com, Jun 26, 2009 IP
  17. ~kev~

~kev~ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, I think you posted the answer to your own question. Instead of creating "multiple" sites, you should make one site, get it established, then move to the next one. You should dedicate at least 1 year to each site, because that is how long it takes to rank well in the search engines.

If you open a site, expect instant success, and close your site before its one year old, then maybe you are expecting too much. Building a site takes time, lots of time. And when you are working on 2, 3 or more sites, then you might be spreading yourself too thin.

~kev~, Jun 26, 2009 IP
  18. w3bmaster

w3bmaster Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Smoke some weed ... ideeas will come ...

w3bmaster, Jun 26, 2009 IP
    ~kev~ likes this.
  19. JacobWarren

JacobWarren Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah davejug1! That's a great idea too. Right on man.

And thanks GameFriends.com. Does starting a full-fledged web design company count as freelance?

Tdg89, the "Technical website stuff" is in fact the part that I enjoy.

Also, thanks Kev. I guess I was rushing things a little too much.

Well I decided to just open a website where people can view my portfolio and hire me online. I'm thinking of mrjacob.com. What do y'all (Sorry, I'm from Oklahoma and that is one of our words. lol.) think about that URL?

JacobWarren, Jun 28, 2009 IP
  20. copper12

copper12 Peon

Best Answers:
    lol

copper12, Jun 29, 2009 IP