1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Anyone know if Yahoo has recently updated?

Discussion in 'Yahoo' started by NewComputer, May 24, 2004.

I have noticed that one of the sites I manage has disappeared. No real reason. There was similar content with other sites (maybe a paragraph or two) but that is the only thing I can think of. Is Yahoo punishing large corporations who have huge databases? Do yahoo updates have names similar to Google (eg. Florida)

NewComputer, May 24, 2004 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    One of the sites I have shot to the top of some Yahoo results two days ago... maybe the same "update"?

digitalpoint, May 24, 2004 IP
  3. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Could be, how many pages are you talking? This site was template driven and was probably 5000 pages deep. It is a terrible thing to have this happen. Obviously Alta, ATW and others are toast as well.

PS: Anyone know if AOL has their own algo?

4. Owlcroft

Owlcroft Peon

Best Answers:
    Two data:

1. My Yahoo standing for the site I check there has been essentially unchanged from many weeks (or, by now, probably months) ago to a minute ago--swings are on the order of +/- 1 position.

2. Yahoo is still listing the site under a URL for that has been issuing a 301 redirect for those same week or months now. Either they ignore redirects, which seems unlikely, or they don't update very often.

I also note that a couple of comically obvious search-engine spams (try this one:
    fantasy|science|fiction|hughcook|com, replacing the | with a . ) still place high, as does a site apparently two years dead.

Owlcroft, May 24, 2004 IP
  5. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    AOL results are based on Google.

I'm not actually tracking anything in Yahoo... I just noticed it because of the referrers.

digitalpoint, May 24, 2004 IP
  6. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    WOW, I cannot believe that search return. Makes me question Yahoo's validity. I have to feel that this is some long, drawn out process of updating. Google, returning 188 links to the homepage while Yahoo is showing 6. Something is not computing. If I do a 'site' search in Google I get 38,700 returns, Yahoo is showing 22.

7. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    Ive noticed yahoo spidering more- they don't seem to go as deep into the site. They seem to find the basic catagory pages and then base their results on the on page content.

schlottke, May 24, 2004 IP
  8. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    yahoo's SERPs are so unpredictable.

we've done a ton of optimization, onsite and off, waited months, and there's been barely any improvement (while there was HUGE improvement in google's rankings).

disgust, Jun 4, 2004 IP
  9. tozzo

tozzo Guest

Best Answers:
    Around the time this post was first generated, I noticed a huge difference in Yahoo results. It seems to me that they have changed their keyword density requirements. For a while one could have a very saturated page and stay high. But now they seem, stricter; one must clean their code up to get back up high.

tozzo, Jun 17, 2004 IP