1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Can i get in trouble for using a domain with Twitters name in it?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by E4C1, Jun 23, 2009.

I have a business site that provides a service for Twitter.com

The domain includes the word Twitter

Could i get in any trouble for this?

The owner of a similar site that had "Twitter" in the domain was contacted by Twitter and was threatened if he did not sell the domain itself to them, he would be taken to court.

He did as told and sold the domain and transferred his site to a new domain.

Any input?

E4C1, Jun 23, 2009 IP
  2. deleted-account

deleted-account Active Member

Best Answers:
    They can sue you for all the money you have and are legally allowed to make you work as their slave if you are unable to pay.

deleted-account, Jun 24, 2009 IP
  3. bratkax

bratkax Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    But twitter is appellative word... I can find it in dictionary. So in court you can state that it's not their brand name used - you just created nice website about your bird :) Something like that...

bratkax, Jun 24, 2009 IP
    E4C1 likes this.
  4. OnInternetBusinessGuide

OnInternetBusinessGuide Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you mean using Twitter for the site twitter.com, then yes you can have problems for trademark infringement. That is using their trademark without permission. I suggest you to ask their written permission. If this is the case, explain you have a service to enhance their website and you would like to get the written permission to use their name. Otherwise, you can use yoursite.com/twitter-service/ as the URL and you should not have problems.

OnInternetBusinessGuide, Jun 24, 2009 IP
    E4C1 likes this.
  5. waxman1000

waxman1000 Peon

Best Answers:
    You can ask them. It will cost you nothing and can save you from a lot of trouble. But to be frank with you, I doubt they can win a law suite for that if you have some kick ass lawyers.

waxman1000, Jun 24, 2009 IP
    E4C1 likes this.
  6. ZoidTech

ZoidTech Banned

Best Answers:
    Ok hopefully this will clear up this matter. Twitter is a TM just like Google and has been registered by twitter.com.

You can hold a domain name that contains the word twitter if you are making a site that has nothing to do with twitter.com as the word is registered in the dictionary as a national word.

The only way you could get into trouble and is best to check with twitter is if you are making a site that has something to do with twitter.com and that has twitter in the domain name.

-Z-

ZoidTech, Jun 24, 2009 IP
    E4C1 likes this.
  7. prashantban

prashantban Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    no there should not be any problem untill unless its not against the tos of twitter

prashantban, Jun 24, 2009 IP
  8. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I can't stand morons who post in the legal section.

He is using the website and domain for a Twitter.com related service. Telling him to argue in court that it is a site about birds is illogical, pointless, and simply untrue.

browntwn, Jun 24, 2009 IP
    m42 and E4C1 like this.
  9. Hawkeye11

Hawkeye11 Peon

Best Answers:
    Any idea what Twitter paid that guy for the domain? Might be a good way to make a few bucks :)

Hawkeye11, Jun 25, 2009 IP
  10. E4C1

E4C1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hahah, he wouldn't say... he said Twitter required him to keep it confidential.

Although he did say it was a fair amount.

E4C1, Jun 25, 2009 IP
  11. HowDoYou

HowDoYou Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    you can have any domain you want. And even if they do try to sue you - by what you said, you may get some money out of it. So whats the problem? I say do it.

HowDoYou, Jun 25, 2009 IP
  12. nicolas92

nicolas92 Member

Best Answers:
    My wife is a lawyer and she is on the side of the big corp : she is fighthing people like you everyday, including legal ways to retrieve back for free the domain name for her customer. Anyway, it can take a long time and sometimes she agrees to just refund the registration fee to the original owner.
    If you have this twitter domain name and your activity is twitter related, you might think of another domain name and just ask them if they want to retrieve your domain or if you can continue like this.

nicolas92, Jun 26, 2009 IP