1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Need Beta Testers for Directory Tool

Discussion in 'Solicitations & Announcements' started by chabbs, Jul 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Hello pleasant members of the all awesome DP.

I am looking for beta testers for a directory submission and tracking tool. If you are submitting to directories or you don't mind submitting to a few directories for your site then you are welcomed to try it out. We've gotten most of the kinks out and we just want to make sure that they're all out by putting the program under stress with more users.

This is an online program and will require a registration to access the program. An account is necessary due to the nature of the program. You just need to provide a username and password.

If you are interested please PM me and I will provide you with the details.

Thank you for considering.

chabbs, Jul 27, 2006 IP
    wrmineo likes this.
  2. chabbs

chabbs Active Member

Best Answers:
    We've decided that we're going to release the program publicly as a beta program. Anyone interested can try out the tool here. Directory Tracker.

chabbs, Jul 28, 2006 IP
  3. wrmineo

wrmineo Peon

Best Answers:
    Cool tool - other than reading every darn email or searching through them, this is a great tool chabbs especially with the ability to add in "personal" directories that are not yet part of the tracker!

wrmineo, Jul 28, 2006 IP
  4. chabbs

chabbs Active Member

Best Answers:
    The idea behind this is that even though we plan to have a long list of directories users may have directories that they want to track that are not on the list. By users being able to add their own list of directories it makes the program much more useful because users are not limited to the list that's there.

chabbs, Jul 29, 2006 IP
  5. Nick_Mayhem

Nick_Mayhem Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks. I just signed up. Will test it out.

Nick_Mayhem, Jul 29, 2006 IP
  6. Obelia

Obelia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Will you be gathering information about average acceptance rates for all these directories? That would be really useful, especially if you could collect that information and graph it by date, so we could track acceptance rates on a monthly basis.

I've come across another directory tool that does this. I don't know how useful it is, because I didn't sign up since there was a fee involved. I think for something like this, the more users you have, the more useful information you can gather from it.

Obelia, Jul 29, 2006 IP
  7. chabbs

chabbs Active Member

Best Answers:
    That's an interesting feature. We were thinking of creating a graph for each individual user but not necessarily an overall average. The program will be developed over time and many more features will be added. The next update the program will have more features that what's available now.

chabbs, Jul 29, 2006 IP
  8. wrmineo

wrmineo Peon

Best Answers:
    I like that idea but I'd be curious, even concerned, how it would work.

Average acceptance rate would require direct input from the directory owners would it not? Further, a directory that is hit with lots of spam could be thrown off the charts and paint an unfair picture I'd think.

wrmineo, Jul 29, 2006 IP
  9. Obelia

Obelia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The whole thing about getting an overall average is so you can answer three questions:

1) Does my site suck, compared to others that are being submitted? If your acceptance rate is below average, you can see this.

2). Does my submission technique suck? You can tell this if you submit a bunch of sites of varying quality, and they consistently get below-average acceptance rates.

3). Which directories are the hardest/easiest to get into? By comparing everyone else's acceptance rates it's easy to figure this out, and plan your time accordingly.

For SEOs and professional directory submitters, this kind of information can be hugely valuable. But since there are so many directories out there, it's kind of hard to keep track of it all.

Obelia, Jul 29, 2006 IP
    wrmineo likes this.
  10. Obelia

Obelia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Good point, although I think all directories are hit with lots of spam. It wouldn't require direct input from directory owners, since I believe this tool is intending to spider directories. It would just depend on directories allowing access to the spiders, and on the submitters providing accurate information about where they have submitted.

The latter might be best regulated by putting a limit on the number of urls per account that are tracked for the purposes of creating an average. So one spammy submitter wouldn't skew the results too much. That's how I would do it, anyway.

Obelia, Jul 29, 2006 IP
  11. wrmineo

wrmineo Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually, I grossly misunderstood your earlier comments - my bad.

You were talking about the acceptance rate of the individual webmaster into directories and not the overall acceptance rate of a specific directory.

Now that I understand your comments a bit better - bare with the blonde who'd not yet ingested enough caffine for the day - I think that would be an awesome tool for some self-inventory for the very reasons you pointed out. Lessons learned are always great!

wrmineo, Jul 29, 2006 IP
  12. vic_msn

vic_msn Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    nice concept but directiry send us emails about the satus of our links isn't it

vic_msn, Jul 30, 2006 IP
  13. wrmineo

wrmineo Peon

Best Answers:
    That's not always true, but generally yes.

However, what if you've lost track?

What if you bought a site and want to market it, but not sure what directories it is listed in?

The other thing I like about the directory is not so much which ones I'm listed in, but it also then shows which ones I am NOT listed in - guess what my next task is from that point? ;)

wrmineo, Jul 30, 2006 IP
  14. chabbs

chabbs Active Member

Best Answers:
    Correct, but some directories don't. With so many directories out there it's always a good idea to keep track of which ones you've submitted to so you don't duplicate the process of submitting to the same ones. It's also much easier to look at a page showing you which directories you're in and which ones you're not in compared to keeing a whole bunch of-emails and going through each one to see which ones you've submitted to. Presently users could manage up to one hundred sites in their account. Many people don't have 100 sites but many have more than one and this tool should make the whole process of managing submissions a lot easier.

chabbs, Jul 30, 2006 IP
  15. anandg

anandg Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks. Just signed up.

On what basis do you add more directories to your existing list ?

anandg, Jul 30, 2006 IP
  16. chabbs

chabbs Active Member

Best Answers:
    Presently we are building up the free directory list that require no reciprocals and have straight links with no redirect. Once the list has grwon to over 200 directories we will start adding the paid directories. Within the next couple of updates we will have a directory suggestion form up so directories owners could submit their directories.

chabbs, Jul 30, 2006 IP
  17. wrmineo

wrmineo Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow chabbs - how large to you intend to grow the overall list? Sounds like it will have the potential of being rather large in a short time.

wrmineo, Jul 30, 2006 IP
  18. chabbs

chabbs Active Member

Best Answers:
    We plan on having a quite an extensive list of directories that will be constantly worked on because of how directories change over time. Presently we have a total of 89 free directories listed and we will be adding to the list all week. I figure that we should have at least 150 - 200 by the end of the week.

chabbs, Jul 31, 2006 IP
  19. Obelia

Obelia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    No, I think you got it right first time, and your doubts are justified. I was talking about taking all the acceptance rates of individual webmasters, and putting them together to provide an estimate of the overall acceptance rate of specific directories so you could have figures like this:

Average acceptance for Example.com - June 55%, July 50%
    Average acceptance for Widgets.com - June 33%, July 35%

The percentages could be based on users who claimed to have submitted, and are tracking their sites with the tool. I can see how the stats might not be 100% reliable though.

Obelia, Jul 31, 2006 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.