1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

maximum links on dmoz for 1 site

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by ash1, Jul 18, 2006.

1. buratssky

buratssky Peon

Best Answers:
    To brizzie

I admire and respect your postings. Sometimes I just can't understand where your coming from. Some are not in constant agreement with your previous posts. I am confused too. ;) Too confused. :rolleyes:

Maybe its time for you to come back to be updated. I am very glad to see you once again push that button for reinstatement. :p

Worrff.:eek:

buratssky, Jul 22, 2006 IP
    ViciousSummer likes this.
  2. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    Well you are going for one of my other titles, Most Long Winded. ;)

It depends on the form and extent of the self-promotion. Stick a finger in the air - 60% of editors have a website and it is listed. On the basis that the site is fully listable and competitors are not discriminated about. Under the DMOZ culture this is not a problem and not considered self-promotion. There is a big difference to that and being an editor primarily to serve your own interests. Maybe your posts are just giving the wrong impression... you don't appear to be very neutral and only interested in gaining rights to categories in order to list your site some more (that is the impression I am getting, sorry). And you have 11 deeplinks already, how many are you going for?

Right now I'm running out of categories to which I can add my site and have to create new ones.

I get plenty of traffic from Wikipedia and got tons of backlinks

It just sounds like your aim of editing at these projects is to get backlinks and therefore traffic to your site. Most people with GoogleAds and affiliate links do that for profit. I am a cynic though - spent too long getting rid of crap in spam-ridden categories.

No, it isn't for me to say. If you have read and are following all the guidelines and metas are satisfied that your activities are not abuse, then it is just my personal discomfort that what you are doing isn't compatible with basic concepts even if it is technically within guidelines. An editor with 11 deeplinks to one of their own sites does sound like there is conflict of interest potential. One way of overcoming it is to get opinion from senior editors about whether you should be deeplinking it - you can get them to put a green URL note on it to cover it if they reckon it is good enough.

I'm open-minded about many things, which means my thoughts evolve. And I have been known to confuse myself from time to time. :D

brizzie, Jul 22, 2006 IP
  3. buratssky

buratssky Peon

Best Answers:
    Evolution eh. It is time to evolve pokemon. Push the button for reinstatement to avoid confusing yourself from time to time. :D :) :p

buratssky, Jul 22, 2006 IP
  4. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    CNN is next! :D Well as I have said in my other post which you have quoted I'm pretty much done there is 1 or 2 new gaming sections I have in test (of course there is always a chance I'll make a mod in a future for some other game) and after that I would need to find something like 100-200 new websites for any category to allow me reorganization and get maybe one extra deeplink.

What is funny there is place and need for 100-200 new websites (i.e. in hrvatski/povijest or croatian/history) but most persons are lazy bums who prefer to have endless debates on forums and newsgroups instead of creating nice websites. ;)

Right now I want to take over Croatian photography category which is missing something like 200 websites! :eek: Including two from my friend (World of photography is his), I could simply submit only these two websites and annoy editor until he approves them and easily avoid competition getting in but since my friends also wants his friends websites added also and his friends wants there friends added too... so in the end they will be bugging me for months until I add all 200 of them - maybe it wont be so bad if I don't get approved. :D

As I have said most links were there long before I got there out of 11 links I got at DMOZ I have personally added only 2! Similar thing applies for Wiki I usually find out I got another link there from referral reports.

Unlike Wikipedia my site(s) doesn't live from donations (no PayPal here) so something has to pay for the hosting and at lest partially cover books I buy maybe if one day I find a day job which pays well I'll be able to kill ads but until then... right now I planning to introduce subscription fee for people who don't want to see ads - hopefully $1/month won't be too expensive.

I know the feeling I have to maintain Croatian gambling category I could probably add dozens of sites in there if I wanted to pump up my edit count but I have yet to see one original site.

Thanks for the good advice, although I better first fix broken English in my early articles - some of them have never been updated since first written in 1998!

Ivan Bajlo, Jul 23, 2006 IP
  5. helleborine

helleborine Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    OK, so 93 links for Rubylane "stores."

That's still A LOT.

You won't list ebay "stores" at all, even when they don't have auctions, even they they aren't "auction-based."

As you can see for yourself, the Rubylane "stores" aren't particularly stable either, if 10% are dead links, the attrition rate is quite high.

Someone in the ODP has a vested interest in Rubylane.

helleborine, Jul 24, 2006 IP
    ViciousSummer and minstrel like this.
  6. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    Rubylane shops don't go 404 and therefore don't get picked up by the bad link robot. It is conceivable that the 10% has been building for some time and is in fact no worse than any other type of site. As for the second comment, since Rubylane is considered no more than a more sophisticated host it is like saying that because DMOZ lists 100,000 sites hosted by GoDaddy someone has a vested interest in GoDaddy. Editors don't care about the host only the site that is being hosted.

brizzie, Jul 25, 2006 IP
  7. jjwill

jjwill Peon

Best Answers:
    It must be time for some beer. :cool:

jjwill, Jul 25, 2006 IP
  8. helleborine

helleborine Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Same should go for ebay stores, then - but you do not list ebay stores.

Not that I like or care for ebay stores. But they are not different from Rubylane stores. You deeplink one, but not the other.

I don't think you should deeplink either. But the differential treatment is mustard up my nose.

helleborine, Jul 26, 2006 IP
  9. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    And therein lies one of the biggest ongoing issues with DMOZ - the lack of consistency in the application of "guidelines" for listing sites and deeplinking. Why this is so difficult for DMOZ Admins to understand and correct baffles me.

minstrel, Jul 26, 2006 IP
    wrmineo likes this.
  10. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    That is a damn good point. Although, DMOZ will just think of another lame excuse that no one can agree on, like usual. :)

ViciousSummer, Jul 26, 2006 IP
  11. jjwill

jjwill Peon

Best Answers:
    I guess the question would be, can you pull up items from individual sub stores via search or links from the main url?

jjwill, Jul 26, 2006 IP
  12. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    gworld, Jul 26, 2006 IP
  13. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    I thought there used to be a ban on ebay stores but when I looked for the guidelines on this I couldn't find anything of the sort. Either I am remembering internal instructions or something has been revised or there never was a ban on ebay stores. Certainly there are at least 6 ebay stores actually listed.

brizzie, Jul 26, 2006 IP
  14. crossman

crossman Peon

Best Answers:
    All the stores can be reached by this url http://stores.ebay.com/Plus people spam a lot of those, and I believe it may also be because Ebay stores have a very high tendency of dying (ever bought anything on ebay?)

crossman, Jul 26, 2006 IP
  15. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    popotalk, Jul 26, 2006 IP
  16. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:

LOL. I think he should change his title from crossman to lameman, his excuses are always so lame. :rolleyes:

gworld, Jul 26, 2006 IP
  17. crossman

crossman Peon

Best Answers:
    LOL,

It was not a excuse, I was responding to brizzie. I don't make excuses to anyone here because no one here is entitled to receive an answer from me for something I volunteer to do. When and if I do give a answer or information, its because I don't mind to.

ViciousSummer likes this.
  18. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You volunteer and therefore you are entitled to post lame excuses when you want to. I get it, thanks for the clarification. :)

gworld, Jul 26, 2006 IP
  19. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    popotalk, Jul 26, 2006 IP
  20. crossman

crossman Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey however you want to interpret it is your business, but you're welcome :p :)