1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Ad Group Timing Out/Taking Forever to Load

Discussion in 'Google AdWords' started by Art, Jul 25, 2006.

Hello there,
    As the title says, I'm having a strange issue where one of my ad groups with a particularly large number of keywords is failing to load when I'm opening it (yes, I only leave the keyword display option on 30). As you can imagine, this becomes a PITA since I'm only able to edit the bids and can't see which keywords are converting well, which ads are doing well etc. AdWords Editor is able to read things correctly but I'm really missing the position targeting that the web interface offers.

I've already written to Google but this issue is becoming crippling to one of my campaigns.

Any suggestions?

Art, Jul 25, 2006 IP
  2. JKE

JKE Peon

Best Answers:
    No suggestions here, however i will say if google is wondering why i haven't touched my un-finished adwords campaign in well over a month, it's because of the same or very similar problems you are having. The sluggishness of adwords had cost me hours, and hours, and hours of un-finished work, finally i said that's it and i haven't touched it since, not sure when i will either.

JKE, Jul 26, 2006 IP
    Art likes this.
  3. simonleung

simonleung Peon

Best Answers:
    Sounds like a one-off technical issue.

Has anyone responded to your email yet? If not, give them a call.

1-866-2-GOOGLE

simonleung, Jul 26, 2006 IP
    Art likes this.
  4. JKE

JKE Peon

Best Answers:
    This was back in ~mid-june

The technical issue with enabling position preference is a known issue and our engineers are working on a resolution. If you are still unable to use position preference, we can enable position preference for you. If you would like us to do so, please reply to this email with the campaigns names in which you would like to enable position preference.

- This stretches beyond just enabling position pref's

As you can guess, i wasn't really looking forward to playing the e-mail google then wait-several days for them to do <x> game and just said forget it. - also had issues with some pref's (+/- position in diff campaigns) just not saving & resetting, got old real fast. But regardless of that specifically, i also dealt with timeouts/errors/sluggishness on getting into/editing ad groups (sooo slow) - i have a multitude of machines here running different OS's & browsers, (~yay musical chairs) (site is hosted here also) - isn't an EU problem. Additionally the keywords tool was so insanely frustrating (slow & un-predictable/unreliable) it didn't help the situation either. - I will say for some reason it does seem not everyones account has these issues.

JKE, Jul 27, 2006 IP
  5. Art

Art Peon

Best Answers:
    It's a pain in the ass isn't it? Sadly AdWords converts (okay maybe not so sad :D) so I'm still forced to deal with it, but I empathize with you on the lost hours... still, I havn't burnt as much time on AdWords as adCenter :mad: :D

I got a response, all it said was to clear cookies but I'm running AdWords on a number of PCs at the moment and the issue still occurs in different browsers/PCs/cookie refreshes. They also told me that bids could be edited via the Ad Groups, but any serious AdWords user knows that lacking the editing of individual keywords (and even finding out which ones are converting well!) is a kick to the nuts of Captain Functionality!

Absolutely, their support used to be so good, I suppose they're inundated with work now, the last response I had from them was probably my first somewhat unsatisfactory one. I think my issue is more a problem with the system and not my account itself.

But you're absolutely right regarding the position preferencing, I had a few problems where the preferences weren't "sticking" and, after burning a little too much cash for maintaining positions I had no care for, I resorted to the good old fashioned method of just keeping an eye on bids.

I can only hope they speed things up, as it seems our problem isn't isolated to a few of us.

Art, Jul 27, 2006 IP
  6. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    FYI, I've been having a ton of time outs over the past two days - in both large and small accounts.

GuyFromChicago, Jul 27, 2006 IP
  7. Art

Art Peon

Best Answers:
    Now that you mention it... things were running perfectly fine previously (around last week). Perhaps they're unable to cope with demand? I can't tell at the moment if things are getting better or not as it's down for maintenance over here. With luck, this maintenance will fix the issue once and for all!

Art, Jul 27, 2006 IP
  8. GuyFromChicago

Best Answers:
    You know, I'm having issues with all google services today - Gmail, Adsense, Blogger, etc. I checked with a few other people at different locations around Illinois too and they are all also having connection issues.

Looks like we're not alone: http://www.seroundtable.com/archives/004226.html

9. Art

Art Peon

Best Answers:
    Great find! I had no issues with AdSense but lots of strange problems with AdWords. I'm imagining the issue would've been to related to specific DCs hence the sporadic up and down nature of it.

It also appears that the maintenance here is over (at least I'm able to log into the Adwords MCC) but unfortunately they haven't fixed the slow ad group loading for large numbers of keywords like I'd hoped.

Are you still getting problems on your end?

Art, Jul 27, 2006 IP
  10. GuyFromChicago

Best Answers:

Fingers crossed, yes, no timeouts for the last hour.

seroundtable is a great resource. Barry and crew always have a lot of good info there. They do a great job of covering stories in the industry. If it's not already, add it to your daily read:)

11. Art

Art Peon

Best Answers:
    Yah I've come across seroundtable a great deal of times but havn't made it my daily read just yet. Come to think of it though, I think I will :)

Lets hope our issues get resolved soon, my ad groups are actually loading now, albeit slightly slowly.

Art, Jul 28, 2006 IP