1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Which Things To Know While Hiring Any CopyWriter?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by sami1255, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Y.L. Prinzel

Y.L. Prinzel Peon

Best Answers:
    I love how, no matter where these threads start, they always end up in the same place...okay, I don't actually love it, but who cares.

Can we make a sticky with the regular words of wisdom re: building a client base, iTrader, charging what you're worth, where to find clients, etc?

Oh wait--people don't know how to read stickies...I forgot. Also, if we did that, we'd never have anything left to talk about in here:)

Anyway, onto OP--I look at it like buying any other service. I like to get in touch with people whose work I have seen elsewhere. If you go to someone's house and you see how clean it is, you ask for their housekeeper's number. When a friend has a car painted and it's done really well, you get the card for the place that painted it. If you see some copy on a website that you really like, email the site owner to find out who wrote the copy.

To me, the only way to really know whether or not the writer is the right one for you is to look at the work they've done and see if you like it. Affordability is subjective, especially for copywriting. If you are going to make more money from your product because you've hired a good copywriter, you can afford to pay more.

As far as charging clients something they can't afford--if someone can't afford you, why would you consider taking them as a client? This is business. As a writer, you have a business to run. You get paid money in exchange for your talent, time and knowledge. Why would you adjust your worth based on your client's budget? You can adjust your services to accommodate a budget but to believe that your value is determined only by your client's budget is not a good business plan. I don't go to Macy's and explain that I can't afford a leather jacket, so they need to go ahead and reduce the price--my budget is not their problem. Their jacket is worth what they are selling it for and there are plenty of people who are buying it for that price--so why in the world would they reduce the price for me?

Now, if you can never get clients at your rate then it could be that you are not actually worth what you are charging--that happens and only you can determine that.

Y.L. Prinzel, May 14, 2009 IP
    puremonopoly likes this.
  2. cd928

cd928 Peon

Best Answers:
    Reminds of a time when my proposal got shot down by a mid-level but popular local business because of budget concerns. Turns out that the current site they had was built for them for free, and so I guess they were expecting something similar from me -- or closer. But how the heck can you ever compete with FREE stuff? And to think I was proposing a means of letting them earn money even through their site.

Never heard from them again. To this day, they still stick with the sucky site with poor design and content. I believe they still get their service for free. And it shows.

cd928, May 14, 2009 IP
  3. oo87

oo87 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    It drives me crazy the way that buyers so often see us content providers as some kind of charity. Do they not realize that we do this for a living, not a hobby, and so we need pay like they do?:rolleyes:

oo87, May 14, 2009 IP
  4. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    The problem is that a lot of people do write as a hobby, which sometimes makes it look like it's all fun and no real "work." Of course we know how wrong that is.

jhmattern, May 14, 2009 IP
  5. proclaim

proclaim Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with most of the things posted before.

I'd also ask the copywriter what their process is.

For example, for me, I give all clients a questionnaire that they need to fill out so I can make sure I know as much about their product as possible.

It's amazing how many writers don't ask for those things... just kind of "dig right in", which is nuts when you're trying to write copy that appeals to people's fears, frustrations, and greatest embarassments (how to talk right into their "head").

I think asking this question alone helps a LOT.

proclaim, May 17, 2009 IP
  6. webgal

webgal Peon

Best Answers:
    I find that people don't know what a copywriter is. An article writer is not a copywriter in the traditional sense. A copywriter writes to sell. As a copywriter, you find a strategy that will bring in a target market.

A website copywriter needs to also determine a strategy and write copy to that concept/strategy.

An article writer might write an interesting article to boost magazine sales or web traffic but isn't necessarily selling something in the article. Although articles are written to show expertise and sometimes to showcase or bring attention to an article.

Then there are sales letters which are written by direct response copywriters.

Press Releases are written by PR writers but it's the relationships the PR writers have that makes them valuable. I can write a press release and figure out an angle but I don't have the relationships a PR writer has.

Oftentimes writers overlap in what they offer or have the expertise to do. But I find that people lump all these types of writers with the label "copywriter". Not to mention the number of times I'm asked to do copyrighting. <grin>

webgal, May 17, 2009 IP
  7. ChiefLee

ChiefLee Peon

Best Answers:
    Need to think about what kind of copy you want written as well. Creative marketing copy is MUCH different than SEO friendly article submission copy. And you'll pay much differently for it. Some people can do both, but the creative marketing people are much harder to find.

ChiefLee, May 18, 2009 IP
  8. michelle12

michelle12 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,

The aim of a good marketing copywriter is to guide the clients with quality services and make a list of targeted buyers, who would be ideally suited for their products and services. This would be done using the power of the internet, which would be used for boosting the business.

The working concepts of these strategies are to avail anti-spam legislation, which would be used for enhancing the customer confidence. The copywriter should also ensure that the client avoids hefty fines and legal battles. There are many inexperienced email marketers who simply are not able to pull of these strategies and techniques.

michelle12, Jun 13, 2009 IP
  9. sami1255

sami1255 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    you are dead right. Infact I used to be one of those who thought of content writing to be really easy and inexpensive but now that iam into practical advertising company. I realise how hard it really is. I get to evaluate lots of web advertising content and frankly I can clearly see which guy is professional and who is a wannabe. Content writing is a tough job and its as technical as a computer networking professional. One shouldn't see content writing dirt cheap.. if you can't buy a BMW, doesn't mean BMW manufacturing is easy. Thats all i can say !

sami1255, Jun 13, 2009 IP
    oo87 likes this.
  10. procopywriter

procopywriter Peon

Best Answers:
    The fastest, easiest, and cheapest way to get new clients is to speak in front of groups. When you speak in front of a group you're automatically positioned as an expert and you can justify higher rates.

Chambers, networking groups, Meetup groups--all of these are looking for good speakers.

Focus on ADDING VALUE...
    1. Blog about article marketing (if you write articles).
    2. Write reports / ebooks / courses on article marketing.
    3. Build your own list.
    4. Offer periodic teleclasses on the subject.
    5. Write your own ezine or offline newsletter. An offline newsletter will likely get you better clients.
    6. Speak in front of groups of business owners on a regular basis.
    7. Look for POIs--people of influence. Who has your customer? Then offer a trade: write articles in exchange for an endorsement to their list. This one tactic could launch your business overnight if you find the right person.

Spending lots of time on forums--unless you can REALLY stand out--is the fast track to commoditization. Think about it: is it a buyer's market or seller's market? Create your OWN seller's market, and you'll make more money.

Personally, I feel anything less than $100 per article is a waste of my time. $500 per article is more like it. As a sales copywriter, I don't even bother writing SEO fodder (there's very little value in it). I'll only write articles if it is for a newsletter or for publication... something that is going to pre-position and pre-sell a company, product, or service and create leads or drive them to a sales page.

That's where the money is--for both the copywriter AND the client.

procopywriter, Jun 14, 2009 IP
  11. welland

welland Peon

Best Answers:
    Great thread. I am saving this.

welland, Jun 14, 2009 IP
  12. Charismatic_Verma

Charismatic_Verma Member

Best Answers:
    As I am new to digital forum, and looking for copy writing work. What shuould I need to do to make the best use of this place in finding the work.

Charismatic_Verma, Jun 14, 2009 IP
  13. Charismatic_Verma

Charismatic_Verma Member

Best Answers:
    webgal,
    I am completely agree with your view points. As the writing should make the general sense and should be interesting, it should come from the core of the heart to make reader's interest in the best possible way.
    But when it comes to write for the corporate writing, one needs to think of the customers interest and surely write for the sales purpose. :cool:

Charismatic_Verma, Jun 14, 2009 IP
  14. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Corporate writing goes far beyond just "the sales purpose."

jhmattern, Jun 15, 2009 IP
  15. sami1255

Best Answers:
    also make sure you don't do silly mistakes likes these, not even in an open forum like this. cause as an evaluator I see these as a really dark spot. It's not that you are not competent, but the marketing guys will never assign you a job if they see this. welcome to dp. hopefully you'll get fair bit of clients in here :)

sami1255, Jun 15, 2009 IP
  16. sami1255

Best Answers:
    Thats really professional but I think the real headache comes in when your client already design a packaging for their brand before consulting you.. It narrows option for a copywriter. I think if somebody really have to get the best outa their brand, they should let copywriters kick some ideas in, and write for that accordingly. Questionnaire only helps you digging the surface only.

sami1255, Jun 15, 2009 IP
  17. chatrapathi

chatrapathi Peon

Best Answers:
    I think you need to ask the previous samples of the writer first and also check the i trader rating..
    Thanks..

chatrapathi, Jun 16, 2009 IP
  18. oo87

oo87 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Advertise to write articles based on your native language, or else better check your work before submission. If it looks like this or the post that you wrote right after, I would imagine you will have trouble finding work that pays enough to be worth your time.

oo87, Jun 16, 2009 IP
    sami1255 likes this.
  19. starz99

starz99 Banned

Best Answers:
    Thats very true I heard the same from others I myself paid 97 for a sales page and got what i paid for. I also do copy but was in a rush never again..

starz99, Jun 20, 2009 IP