1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Log file causing CPU maxed out. Account suspended again!

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by my44, Jul 25, 2006.

Dear all (if this is a wrong thread, pls move it to the correct one).

I've previously posted about CPU maxed out by my hosting provider resulted in my website account being suspended. It was something like

"This is cPanel stats runner on blabla.com. While processing the log files for user blablablah, the cpu has been maxed out for more than a 6 hour period. The current load/uptime line on the server at the time of this email is04:08:03 up 12 days, 23:20, 0 users, load average: 4.78, 2.51, 1.20"

I moved the site to another provider because I was upset with the way the previous host suspended my site. It was Ok for a few weeks, then the same thing happened at this new provider! I got suspended again for close to 1 day, resulting in quite loss in Google Adsense income. Same reason it seemed, ie: log files maxed out CPU

What I need to know is how to "control", if there is such thing, of these so-called log files. What are they actually? I just operated a regular HTML static pages, and frankly couldn't be bothered by scripting or whatever that was. If there is any log files that I need to delete, I hope somebody can tell me so that I can delete it right now.

The website URL is here: http://www.malaysiahotelreview.com (as you can see, just static site, no forum, no php, etc). No way it can create "log file overload" whatever that was.. I need to know about the log files before it happens again.

Appreciate help from gurus here

my44, Jul 25, 2006 IP
  2. just-4-teens

just-4-teens Peon

Best Answers:
    do you have access to delete the logs?

just-4-teens, Jul 25, 2006 IP
  3. my44

my44 Peon

Best Answers:
    From where? FTP? Or cPanel? I'm sure I have the access, but I'm not sure where to find the log files. Please let me know, thanks!

my44, Jul 25, 2006 IP
  4. NetMidWest

NetMidWest Peon

Best Answers:
    It is not the logs themselves, according to what cPanel output. It is the processing of them. AWStats is a big load, and for high traffic sites it can cause problems. You might ask if there is a way to shut it off for your site specifically, or if they have a server that you could be moved to that does not have AWStats turned on. If your traffic is high enough, other stats programs will cause high loads as well.

You mention getting suspended for 1 day, and it resulted in 'quite a loss' of adsense income. If you need the stats, or if the above does not solve the problem, consider a cheap dedicated server. You can find bargains under $100/Mo. Think of it as insurance... for your income.

NetMidWest, Jul 25, 2006 IP
  5. my44

my44 Peon

Best Answers:
    NetMidWest,

Thanks for your interim info. I have other hostings that do not offer AWstats and they work out fine. I only use statscounter for tracking, more than enough. Changing server sans AWstats will be the solution but I need to up all my sites real quick (actually 4 website were taken down because of this, and they never replied about getting them back on).

One quick question: How about using provider who offer DirectAdmin? I guess cPanel does have this log files problem and may not be suitable for me.

Also, I've checked into my "/tmp/" folder. It has "/analog", "/webalizer", "/awstats", etc in it. Folder "/awstats" has about ~2MB of .txt files (stats files?). "/analog" has ~20MB of files! (of .html, cache and cache.out files).

Can I delete all these junks? They look scary.

my44, Jul 25, 2006 IP
  6. NetMidWest

NetMidWest Peon

Best Answers:
    If you get a dedicated server, go for DirectAdmin. It makes managing the server (updates, etc.) so much easier. But if your traffic is high, it may not matter what control panel you use in a shared or virtual hosting environment.

Consult your host before you delete the files. Also, you may have to delete them on a daily basis to keep the load down.

NetMidWest, Jul 25, 2006 IP
    my44 likes this.
  7. MrGeeK

MrGeeK Peon

Best Answers:
    in cpanel you can set how often to run the log program (eg awstats) set it to run more often, also turn off any stats program your not using (cpanel can do 3 different ones and from memory it runs 2 of them by default)

I haven't used cpanel for a long time, but I remember having the same problem (log stats run taking too long) and fixing it by changing them to run every 6 hours.

MrGeeK, Jul 25, 2006 IP