1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

how do i create a .htaccess file to upload to host

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by jesusjonesuk, Jun 8, 2009.

i have a script, that requires a .htaccess file to make it work, the file is on my computer when i downloaded the script, but when i uploaded the files via FTP, the host will not show the .htacess file. i have encountered this problem in the past, but have always had to pay for the problem to be solved, and seeing as my paypal is in the middle of a bank change at the moment, i cannot pay for the service.

would it please be possible for someone to explain how i go about getting the .htaccess file uploaded onto my host please.

kind regards
    les

jesusjonesuk, Jun 8, 2009 IP
  2. RHS-Chris

RHS-Chris Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The file may be uploaded, though the host may have the listing of .htaccess files turned off. Try uploading the file, then access your site, to see if the changes have been taken into effect. If the host uses a non standard web server, such as lighthttpd or nginx, they may not support .htaccess files, and you would need to contact your host.

RHS-Chris, Jun 8, 2009 IP
  3. kailash

kailash Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    .htaccess is considered as hidden file. You can access this file from File Manager (if your control panel supports it) as well as you should be able to access it via FTP. However, this depends on the control panel and operating system installed on the server.

Kailash

kailash, Jun 8, 2009 IP
    jesusjonesuk likes this.
  4. Whackahost.com

Whackahost.com Member

Best Answers:
    You can create the file in notepad. Just name it .htaccess then upload it to your server via ftp. In ftp make sure there is no .txt extension. Make sure it just says .htaccess
    You may also need to make it writable so what ever you are installing can write what it has to, too it so it works.

If you have any more issues check out my sig and I would be happy to do this for you.

Whackahost.com, Jun 8, 2009 IP
  5. jesusjonesuk

jesusjonesuk Peon

Best Answers:
    many thanks kailash, couldnt see that check box for looking too hard lol, i have left you rep for this answer my friend, may you live long and prosper, to help others, as blind and daft as myself lmao.

many thanks to everyone else for your replies also.

cheers
    les

jesusjonesuk, Jun 8, 2009 IP
  6. Bohra

Bohra Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Bohra, Jun 11, 2009 IP
  7. C'lown

C'lown Banned

Best Answers:
    It's not the FTP that hide / show's the .htaccess file, in most cases it's the server that hides the file.

C'lown, Jun 12, 2009 IP
  8. Bohra

Bohra Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Actually in dreamhost

My ftp client say no .htaccess

But if i use webftp its there

Bohra, Jun 12, 2009 IP
  9. billyxu08

billyxu08 Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with him,you can creat in the notepad or uplod as another name ,and then change the name,
    you can try.
    I have touched this issue ,and I don't hoe to right.

billyxu08, Jun 12, 2009 IP